Author Topic: Publican in 'Norwell'  (Read 11990 times)

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past is a foreign country, how can we go there
    • View Profile
Re: Publican in 'Norwell'
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 17:08 BST (UK) »
Wow, well I can't thank you enough! Thats unbelievably kind of you! I will spend a few hours tonight on the Lambert side and get back to you later on If i may.

Thanks again.

Lee

P.s. Dont' have detaisl to hand just yet - but what do you mean by this?! ...
BTW Bapt. 9 Feb 1880 George William Lambert son of William Moody publican and Hannah Maria Lambert, keeping it in the family.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 17:25 BST (UK) »
Well it looks like another illigitimate birth between the Lambert and Moody families. That was the only one I found that named the father.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 17:26 BST (UK) »
Well it looks like another illigitimate birth between the Lambert and Moody families. That was the only one I found that named the father.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, right ok. My head hurts a bit now!!! :)

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 17:38 BST (UK) »
There also looks to be another illegitimate child on the 1861 census - Mary M Lambert (as far as I can make out). No doubt the 'M' stands for Moody again?!

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 17:48 BST (UK) »
Things get stranger ... Looking at the 1871 census - it seems mary has had even more children. The census info is;

Household Members:    
Name               Age

Robert Lambert    83
Elizabeth Lambert    77
Mary Lambert    32
John Lambert    30
William Lambert 13
Thomas Lambert    8
Charlotte Lambert  8
Emily Lambert    1

They can't be Mary's mum and dad and John, Mary's brother is an "imbecile/deaf and dumb" so i'm assuming they can't be his?!?!? ......

... I'm coming to the conclusion mary may have been a harlot!

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 18:31 BST (UK) »
Don't worry it happened, like I have said before my  great great grandmother had 4 illegitimate children when she was living in a small village. get as much info. together as you can and then I can check the PR's much more thoroughly next time
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Jaywit, it is truly appreciated. Anyway, my brain is slightly frazzled right now so think i'm goign to have an early night and spend an hour or 2 tomrrow putting all the info from the censuses into my Family tree program and then it should give you somethign solid to go off (if your brilliant offer is still available?).

So far, I have written this, as I say will get all the siblings/sons/daughters into FTM which will tidy and solidify everything.

William Moody Lambert
William Moody Lambert was born an illegitimate child on 28th June 1858 in Norwell, Notts to Mary Lambert. It is possible that the 'Moody' part of his name refers to his fathers surname as this seems a common convention. There are a few likely candidates who could be his father but at this stage, it is impossible to say with any conviction who it would be.

The 1861 census shows William living with his mother Mary, grandmother and grandfather, Elizabeth (nurse) and Robert Lambert (Ag Lab), uncle John (who was deaf and dumb) and sister Mary M Lambert, who was also it seems illegitimate and born c1856.

1871, and William now 13, is still living with both grandparents, (now 77 and 83!) his Mother and Uncle but also a seeming host of brothers and sisters, who it seems, have also been born illegitimatly. Thomas, 8, Charlotte 8 (twins or born either side of the census, 1 year apart) and Emily 1. It seems William had a sister Fanny, who was baptised 11 Oct 1868 but who it seems died in the same year, shortly after her birth (Southwell 7b 202).

William in 1881, is 23, and now married, living on Gander Hill and working as a publican in Norwell. According to some local information, there were 3 pubs in Norwell and the Black Horse was opposite the Plough - on Bathley Lane. Gander Hill appears to be the hill just outside Norwell along Bathley Road so, it appears WIlliam, and his wife, Maria would have run the Black Horse. They have also had their first child - John Thomas Lambert who is aged 2. Also livign at the pub, they have a George Nettleship who is lodging with the family and is employed as a labourer, he was born in Norwell so it is likely he was a friend.

The family then move to Tockwith, Yorkshire at some point between 1885 and 1887 (we know this from their children's birth dates and places) and in 1891, William (employed as an ag lab) and Maria have had further children. John Thomas is now 12, and is joined by Charles H 6, Florence 4, Mary H 3, and Mabel 1.

The 1901 census shows the family still living in Tockwith, with some new additions and some flying the nest. living with Maria and William are Annie 6, Charles 16, Edgar 9, and Herbert 5.

Mary Lambert
Mary Lambert was born c1834 to Robert (an Ag Lab) and Elizabeth Lambert in Ossington, Nottinghamshire. In the 1841 census they family still live in Ossington and Mary's siblings in their entirety are; Ann 15, Elizabeth 9, Richard 9 and John 3.

By 1851 the family have moved to the next village of Norwell, Mary is 16 and Richard has left home and is XXXXX

1861 and Mary is still living with her parents in Norwell and with her deaf and dumb brother, John. She has had 2 illegitimate children by this time:- William Moody and Mary M, 2 and 4 respectively.

1871 sees Mary still at home with her parents in Norwell and even more seemingly illegitimate children - William, 13, Thomas, 8, Charlotte 8 (twins or born either side of the census, 1 year apart?) and Emily 1. The parish registers indicate Mary also had a daughter Fanny, who was baptised 11 Oct 1868 but who it seems died in the same year, shortly after her birth (Southwell 7b 202).

Laos baptised on 8th April 186 was Eleanor Annie dtr of Mary (servant this time others only said spinster) and received into church 27 May 1876

1881 and Mary is living still as a spinster in Bottom Street, Norwell as a 'head' of the family with her 2 daugthers - Charlotte (19 - who was deaf and dumb from birth) and Emily (11).  It seems that one of her daughters has taken after her mother and there is an illegitimate granddaughter of Mary - 4 year old Merill A Lambert.

1891 and Mary is still an independent woman, wokring as a Charwoman, living with her children and grandchildren(!) on Woodhouse Road, Norwell. With her are; Charlotte E and Thomas H (27) and Eleanor A (14) and George W 9 who are classed as her grandchildren.

In 1901, Mary now 66 is living in Palace/Pallis Hall on Newark Road, Norwell with Charlotte and Thomas and her granchildren - Eleanor and George.

It is extremely likely that Mary died in 1913, aged 79 (Southwell 7b 502).

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 20:28 BST (UK) »
P.s. after this new and exciting branch of my family - I think I need to definitely visit the area!!!! Goign to try at some point from July - September.

Do you think this would be worth it? Would it be better to stay in the Norwell area or perhaps in Newark etc . . . to the drawing board me thinks!!! :)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 20:34 BST (UK) »
Right I will print all that off , Ossington PR's are in the library as well so I should be able to go back to Mary's birth. It will be Thurs or Fri when I go to the library so no problem if you come up with something else tomorrow. Yes do come, it's an area that doesn't get an awful lot of tourists but it's well worth visiting. Alluno-a obviously lives very close by and I'm not far away, So if you do decide to come down I can give you loads of information of where to go. Try and pull in a visit to Soutwell Workhouse, well worth seeing. Anyway plenty of time for all of that later when you have got more information.