Author Topic: O'Donnell/Hamilton connection Late 1790's  (Read 3499 times)

Offline kjb51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Donnell/Hamilton connection Late 1790's
« on: Friday 23 May 08 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find any confirmation of the family story that James Lewis O'Donnell (Catholic) married the daughter of his employer, Sarah Gauntlet Amelia Hamilton (Cof E)in the late 1790's. Their first child was Hamilton Lewis born in 1803. 

Is there anyone who can check county records for a marriage of James and Sarah please?  There are Hamilton Lewis O'Donnells all over the world it would seem and we assume that they have all descended from this marriage.

Thanks,

kjb51

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Donnell/Hamilton connection Late 1790's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 May 08 08:25 BST (UK) »
There aren't county records in Ireland although many sources of information are by county.
Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages began 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages). For earlier information, as in this case, you need to find church records (if they exist). To do so you usually need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland).
However, in this case there are several possible ways to find more information. First of all, if there are lots of descendants of the couple checking each branch to see what information they might have might be worthwhile.
Secondly, if Sarah's family were well-to-do (which is not nec. the case) there might be Wills, newspaper records, etc. about her family available. In the case of a mixed, or frowned upon, marriage it is quite possible that no wedding announcement will appear in the newspaper (for such an early date the Belfast Newsletter might be the only one available). 
P.S. Sarah's family would have been Church of Ireland if they lived in County Tyrone not Church of England.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline laren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 May 08 10:29 BST (UK) »
Dear KJB,

I've just found out this week that my ancestor, Hamilton Lewis O'Donnell is the child of James Lewis O'Donnell (Catholic) married the daughter of his employer, Sarah Gauntlet Amelia Hamilton (Cof E)in the late 1790's.

Sarah's family were infact very well to do. They were the pre-eminent family in the Killybegs area of Tyrone. Also, as the previous poster said, they were Church of Ireland.

Sarah was formally disowned by her family for marrying a Catholic.

I am currently in contact with someone who has done alot of research on the family.

I can also give you info about Hamilton Lewis O'Donnell and his family who moved to Australia.

I'd love to compare notes to see if you have any info I don't.

Can I ask how HLO'D fits into your family?

I'm descended from his son, Hamilton Lewis O'Donnell.

Cheers,
Michelle
Stockton, NSW, Au - WW1 Service Personnel - http://ww1stockton.blogspot.com.au/

WATSON - Uddingston, Scotland -> Bendigo, Australia
CANET - France -> London -> Victoria, Au
SAPSFORD - Great Hallingbury and Edmonton, England
FREEMAN - Derry and Cork -> Glamorgan, Wales -> NSW, Au
BLANDTHORN - Chester -> Sandhurst/Bendigo, Vic, Au
HARPER & BRAY - Cornwall -> NZ -> Sandhurst/Bendigo, Vic, Au
RANN - Edmonton -> Vic, Au
WHITLEY - Waltham Abbey -> Edmonton -> Vic, Au
ABERNEATHY - Ireland/Scotland

Offline kjb51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 May 08 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle,

I think we have already been in contact with each other through Mark OD. Thanks for your reply anyway.

kjb51

Offline Jerseyfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 June 14 04:36 BST (UK) »
There are two documents written at Sarah Gantley A. O'Donnell's death; both refer to her as daughter of James Hamilton ESQ, of Fintra [Fintra House was James' Estate House in Killybeg(g)Donegal], dying at the home of her son Hamilton Lewis O'Donnell, Gortmore, Feb. 17 1857. The gatehouse for that estate still stands and, I believe, is a B&B. There are pics on the net.  If you go on Ancestry and search him, I have a private tree tracing my husband's line of Hamilton's family to Jersey City, N.J.  Search under family trees; mine is a Redmond Family Tree and my user name is JerseyFox. Ask for contact mentioning Rootchat in the message and I will give you access to the tree which has quite a bit more info
Warm Regards
Caldwell, O'Donnell, Hamilton, Thompson, Walker

Offline Cassie Nipperess

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 March 21 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hey there ,

Is it possible that James and Elizabeth plus kids were actually born in Scotland?
I searched high and low throught the Irish records couldn't find anything but I searched scottish records and found a marriage  certificate  for James hamilton and elizabeth Johnston dated 1734 plus birth certificates for
Christian Hamilton 1736
William Hamilton 1741
Jannet Hamilton 1745
Alexander Hamilton 1743
Sarah Hamilton 1770

Just a thought
These were all born in Scotland

Names and dates are a close match
Thanks cassie