Author Topic: Long-lost relatives  (Read 8174 times)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
Re: Long-lost relatives
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi (possible cousin) mystman!

Can't believe that, after all these years, something belonging to DDT has appeared!

Will PM you!   :)

Deb
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline mystman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb thanks for reply. Like you I am amazed that my "whim" just to see what might happen produced an instant reply! That rolling pin has been a source of mystery ever since it was found among my late granma's effects. Since it depicts ships with an Eastern or tropical background, it seems it may have been inscribed during a voyage to the East or Australia. From the other posts I gather that DDT as you call him, must have travelled to Australia and it seems settled there. I have also seen the name Mackwood among the posts; my great gran was a Mackwood, and if I have got it right, married a Tatham. Her family had tea estates, one of which my Mum inherited, in Ceylon. So they all had Eastern connections.
What is DDTs connection to you?
Wonder what other obscure details will emerge!
Cheers
Robin mystman.

Offline mystman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Leanne (backwoods) am trying to decipher your message. What is King William P? What does the date refer to and what is SMH?  Sorry if I am being thick!
Robin mystman

Offline mystman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Leanne (should have been backwards!) yes was being thick. Went to the link and saw the extract from that newspaper.
If DDT arrived in Australia in 1851 and i have what is probably scrimshaw, i.e, an artifact from a ship en voyage,  dated 1843, then DDT must have been knocking around the East for some 8 years before arriving in Australia.
Thanks for the info.
Robin

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Robin ...

The prodigal DDT is my 3xgt (half) uncle - I put in my PM where my tree sprouted from LOL.

Incidentally ... isn't it only "scrimshaw" if it's engravings onto whalebone/teeth?  If it's black glass that's been engraved, ... I dunno (should've paid more attention to the Antiques Roadshow!).

Deb
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline mystman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Noted...you inherited any of DDT's characteristics????
You may be right about scrimshaw...my wife is the expert will have to ask her.
Regret that I have to do some last minute shopping now! Will be in touch later
Robin

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Gawd, I hope not! LOL

BTW, ... from which Tatham line are you descended (given that there are heaps)?

Offline mystman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb Julia Grace Mackwood born 1844 according to my records, married Christopher Tatham who died 1898. Their daughter Elizabeth Francis, my grandma, married Frederick William Temple in 1899. Thats all I can tell you now. Have to look up more detail to give you more history.
Julia Grace was daughter of Francis Mackwood  of Avon House, Scarborough, born 1813, d. 1901. In turn, he was son of William Mackwood of Harwood Vale Yorks. None of the records have been checked  by me so all is hearsay or family records.

Robin

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 23:55 GMT (UK) »
I have your Christopher Tatham as having died in Wandsworth, Greater London in 1877 - can't find the notes right now, though  :-\

Incidentally, Julia's cousin Ann Leadley Mackwood married Christopher's older brother Robert Gordon Tatham (his second marriage), my 2xgt grandfather, in 1878.  What's your family tree software like? - because mine won't register people who intermarry this way  ... neither will the GR software  >:(

Robert and Ann didn't have any children - but Robert had three children (Alice Emma, Christopher Robert, and Elizabeth Jane) from the first marriage, which ended in 1864-ish.

Deb