Author Topic: Christina Sutherland  (Read 8564 times)

Offline HowardJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christina Sutherland
« on: Saturday 24 May 08 14:57 BST (UK) »
Looking for family history of Christina Sutherland from Caithness, probably Wick, born about 1854.  Married William Linge, a farmer in Durham.  I am her great-grandson.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christina Sutherland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 May 08 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Howard

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D
Sorry, I have a lot of questions....

On her 1878 marriage to William:
what is her age?
what does it say about her father?
what was her address?
who were the witness?
did she list an occupation?

Is it family information 'handed down' that tells you Christina was from Wick?
As none of the Census 1881 to 1901 give that indication.....

Or is it the IGI Submitted records which say:
Christina SUTHERLAND b 1853 Wick, Caithness; died 27 May 1937; father: Mr Sutherland

What was her age stated as on death? (and when?)

Her age in the English Census indicate a YOB 1852 to 1854:
1881: 28 (1852)
1891: 39 (1853)
1901: 47 (1854) but this age is somewhat indistinct due to markings on the image - it could be 49.

The LINGE children (from Census and Birth registrations in England
Mary Isabella - abt 1880/1881 **
John Campbell  - Dec Qtr 1881 South Shields
Jessie Sutherland - Jun Qtr 1884 South Shields
Rachel   - Dec Qtr 1886 South Shields (in the 1901 Census she has a middle initial C or E).
Jane Christina - Sep Qtr 1889 South Shields

Cannot find birth reg for Mary Isabella about 1880. But can find one for:
Mary Ann LINGE - Jun Qtr 1881 Gateshead.

In the 1881,  Mary I is likely to be 11 mths old  but - it just says she is 11.
In 1891, what appears to be the same girl, is named as Mary Isabella age 11 b Leam
In 1881, her POB is stated as Craw Crook or  Crawcrook, is in the Parish of Ryton (near Winlaton) and the covering RD would be Gateshead.

In consideration of possible naming patterns, are William James LINGE' s parents: James Bloomfiield LINGE and Mary Ann RUDDOCK?

Finally - do you think this is her in the 1871 Census?
31 Green Terrace - Bishop Wearmouth, SUnderland
Servant: Christina or Christian I* SUTHERLAND 19, unm, domestic servant housemaid, b Scotland
(Due to the 'hand' of the enumerator, her middle initial could be I,  J or maybe less likely,  S)
RG10/Piece: 5005 /  Folio 27 /  pg  47

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline HowardJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 May 08 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hi AMBLY

I am delighted to get a response so quickly.
I picked up Christina Linge's name in Durham in a 1901 census.  Her age was given as 47, which gave me a possible birgh date of 1853-54.  Christina and William Linge lived at Thistley Hall Rd, South Shields.  I will need to dig through my late mother's memorabilia to get the exact address, but I saw it the other day, together with a photograph of the house.  I have an old Sunderland map which shows the location.

Yes, William James Linge's parents were James Bloomfield Linge and Mary Ann Ruddock.
I am the grandson of William and Christina's fifth child, Jane Christina (1889-1973).  She migrated to Australia in 1928 with her husband and daughter.  My grandmother told me that her mother, Christina Linge (Sutherland) came from Wick, and my mother (her daughter) had the name "Sutherland" in her forenames.  This seems to have been customary in that family.  James Bloomfield Linge came from the Bloomfield's on his mother's side (I have traced the Bloomfields back to 1510), and Christina's fourth child was called Rachel Ruddock Linge.  Of the five children, only Jessie did not marry.  All of the others had children, but John had daughters, so the Linge surname disappeared along that line of descent.  Rachel Ruddock Linge's daughter (Vera Sutherland Brown) also migrated to Australia in the early 1960s.

So I know a fair bit about Christina's descendants, but nothing of her forebears.  There are lots of Sutherlands in Caithness: quite a few seem to have migrated to New Zealand (similar bleak climate in the south!).  It would be nice to be able to find Christina's place among the Sutherland clan.

Cheers
HowardJ

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 May 08 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Howard  ;D

Here are the 3 post marriage Census for Christina and William:

1881: Hamlet of Low Leam - Township of Hedworth (Hedworth, Monkton & Jarrow)
(Sth Shields ) Durham
Head: William LINGE 25, b Suffolk
Christiana LINGE 28, b Scotland abt 1853
Mary I.  LINGE 11, b Craw Crook Durham

1891: Leam Farm - Leam & Gingling Gate, (Hedworth, Monkton & Jarrow) (Sth
Shields ) Durham

Head: William LINGE 35, Farm Laborer, b Baringham Scotland (sic)
Wife: Christine 39, b Scorland abt 1852
Dau: Mary Isabella 11, b Leam Durham
Son: John 9. b Leam Durham
Jessie 7, b Leam Durham
Rachel 4, b Leam Durham
Christina 1&half yrs, b Leam Durham
RG12 /  Piece 4170 /  Folio 155 /  Pg 4

1901: Thistley Hall farm - Southwick  (Sunderland)  Durham
Head: William J LINGE 44, Farmer, b Barningham Suffolk
Wife: Christina 47? could be 49? b Scotland abt 1854
Dau: Mary 20, unm, b Winlaton Durham
Son; John c, 19, unm, Market Gardner, b Jarrow
Dau: Jessie S 17, unm, b Jarrow
Dau: Rachael C? 14, b Jarrow
Dau: Jennie C. 12, b Jarrow
RG13 /  Piece /  4724 /  Folio: 122 /  Pg 74

As you say - there are a lot of Christina/Christiana SUTHERLAND's to choose from, and that doesn't count any who may have been born a SUTHERLAND but appear on Census with a different surname owing to remarriage of a parent, or who were not birthed as SUTHERLAND due to  illigitimacy (regarding the latter, apart from the usual  - this could also could be if the birth of a child happening before it's biological parents got married to each other)

Your next best move would be to get her marriage cert  - which will hopefully give the name of her father and his occupation, and the marriage witness may also assist. Marrriage is indexed:
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/
William James LINGE and Christinne SUTHERLAND
Newcastle on Tyne Jun Qtr 1878

Cheers  ;D
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline HowardJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 May 08 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi AMBLY,

That's great, thank you very much.  This is definitely the couple.  They lived at Thistley Hall and the 5 children are correct.  The fifth child, Jennie (=Jane) was my grandmother.  The oldest child, Mary, used to send me books from England for birthday presents when I was very young, and once or twice as a young boy I corresponded with her.  I notice William Linge's birthplace is given differently in the censuses.  I think the 1881 census is correct.  William Linge's lineage is from Suffolk, and I have his line back to 1510 via his grandmother.  I shall follow the link in search of more on Christina.

Cheers
Howard ;D

Offline Tricia MORE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 14:11 BST (UK) »
Co-incidence!
I noticed BishopWearmouth in a census for Christina.
A twig of my CORMACK family from Caithness were in that area from early 1800 with Magnus b 1789 Watten Caithness.  The Sutherland surname also features here with Magnus's mother being a Mary Sutherland b Watten Caithness (my 4xg'grandmother). 
Magnus also marries an Eliz Sutherland in 1809. Eliz however was born in Bermuda but of course quite possibly her parents were from UK originally. (I have yet to find more about her).

Scottish naming pattern would usually name 1st daug after mother's mother - I notice Christina's 1st daug was a Mary(assuming none unrecorded prior to her).  There is a birth in June 1851 Latheron Caithness to James Sutherland & Mary Sinclair(m1836). In 1861 this family are in Latheron Caithness, with Christina aged 9 with 5 older siblings. I have  JUST however found that she is still with parents in 1871.  So if yours is in Durham 1871 this rules this one out.

However in 1861 census there are at least 4 Christina b c1852 not living with parents in Caithness.  I shall try to rule out some others.

Back to searching.
BAILEY    (HAM/Portsmouth Portsea/1800s);
CORMACK    (CAI/Watten Wick/fam of Magnus C & Jean Taylor m 1739);
CORMACK    (DUR/Sunderland area 1800s/orig from CAI, SCT, 1700s);
JOHNSTON    (CAI/../All);
JOHNSTON    (ARL/Kirn Dunoon/circa 1800 - onwards);
JOHNSTON    (ELN/Prestonpans Tranent/fam of William Johnston Janet Forman);
MCDOUGAL     (ARL/MULL/pre1800 Neil McDougall Effy McPhail);
MCDOUGALL    (INV/Laggan/pre 1800 in Mull Argyll then INV etc);
MORE    (CAI/Wick Sarclet Thurso Orkney/1600

Offline Tricia MORE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 15:36 BST (UK) »
OK
The Christina b to James & Mary in Latheron.
She married 1871 Peter Class.
T
BAILEY    (HAM/Portsmouth Portsea/1800s);
CORMACK    (CAI/Watten Wick/fam of Magnus C & Jean Taylor m 1739);
CORMACK    (DUR/Sunderland area 1800s/orig from CAI, SCT, 1700s);
JOHNSTON    (CAI/../All);
JOHNSTON    (ARL/Kirn Dunoon/circa 1800 - onwards);
JOHNSTON    (ELN/Prestonpans Tranent/fam of William Johnston Janet Forman);
MCDOUGAL     (ARL/MULL/pre1800 Neil McDougall Effy McPhail);
MCDOUGALL    (INV/Laggan/pre 1800 in Mull Argyll then INV etc);
MORE    (CAI/Wick Sarclet Thurso Orkney/1600

Offline HowardJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 June 08 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Tricia,

It seems that Christina Sutherland was a fairly common name!  The Christina at the Bishop Wearmouth address in the 1871 census is possibly the one I am looking for.  I have just discovered I have an old map from 1946 that shows Thistley Hall Farm as being located just north of Southwick cemetery, on the western edge of Sunderland.  South Shields, the place where I had thought it to be, is of course further north on the Tyne.

When I have some holidays in July, I hope to spend some time following up on this one.

Cheers

Howard

Offline margaretE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 November 08 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi HowardJ
I've just joined and picked up your posts on Christina Sutherland and William Linge. I am a grand daughter of William's younger brother Stephen. Stephen took over Thistley Hall Farm and lived there until, at his death in 1939, the farm passed to my Father, Arthur Thomas Linge.
 The Linge family were not prolific breeders! Of Stephen's 4 children only Arthur had offspring - there are two of us living. My aunt Harriet kept photos etc some of which I think include marriages at Thistley.
So, I can't provide any information on Christina for you but do have some side branches.
You will have discovered that Thistley was demolished as part of Sunderland's post war rebuild but in the cemetry you will find James B, Mary Ann and 2nd wife Isabella. Next to them are my grandparents and on the opposite side of the path the grave of William's brother (?)Arthur and his wife. Do you know the family's sad story about them?
Hope to hear.

margaretE