Author Topic: Mossman birth Kingston c. 1859  (Read 19704 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Mossman birth Kingston c. 1859
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 May 08 00:48 BST (UK) »
Well done Jorose!!

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 May 08 04:07 BST (UK) »
Great find Jorose!

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 May 08 08:04 BST (UK) »
I am so thrilled - I got home from work, straight onto the computer and there is so much information waiting - I'm blown away.  Thank you so much.  I will go and digest it all.  I can interloan the book from Dunedin  through our library here in Hastings. 

This genealogy bug is such a buzz - all the more so with such amazing help.  Wow!!  I would put masses of smilies on here if I knew how (LOL).

Thank you again,
Abby
Jones - Shropshire & Wales; Green - Warwickshire; Evans & Smith - Bedminster; Joll - Calstock, Cornwall; Harrison; Treliving - Cornwall; Matthews, Bell, Marks - UK; Watt - Edinburgh; Mossman - Canada; Lange & Balck/Balch/Balk - Germany.
All to New Zealand

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 August 08 04:03 BST (UK) »
Well, I think this can be off to completed? J.J.

This might be Thomas & brother in law in a Sands directory...
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/newtownproject/Sands_Directory/sands1896.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 August 08 10:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Janice, Karen, Jorose and J.J.,

I so much appreciate your help and interest.  I interloaned a copy of The Dilworth Legacy - it was really interesting and has given me a better understanding.   I also managed to pick up a copy of 'A Heritage in Trust' by GL Pearce which included some family tree information - an unexpected bonus. 

The links you provided have me sailing off on several 'hot' leads.

Thank you again and good luck to you all in your own searchings,
Abby

Jones - Shropshire & Wales; Green - Warwickshire; Evans & Smith - Bedminster; Joll - Calstock, Cornwall; Harrison; Treliving - Cornwall; Matthews, Bell, Marks - UK; Watt - Edinburgh; Mossman - Canada; Lange & Balck/Balch/Balk - Germany.
All to New Zealand

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 August 08 11:03 BST (UK) »
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/ has some references to Thomas Mossman, who died aged nearly 100. There are a couple, but the best is at:

Evening Post, Volume LVII, Issue 154, 1 July 1899, Page 4
summary: born on Lord Powiscourt's estate near Dungannan, in Ireland, on the 1st day of 1800. Went to England and spent 25 years there, a lace manufacturer; returned to Ireland when he inherited the family home; after a few years went to Canada and the States; was in the US about 13 years; came to Auckland at the request of his brother-in-law, the late James Dilworth.

On IGI there is a marriage in Ireland for Thomas and Eleanor Dilworth, in 1847.

The IGI record is submitted not extracted: Thomas William Mossman married 28 Nov. Co. Tyrone to Eleanor Dilworth.
'Lord Powiscourt's estate near Dungannan' should be Lord Powerscourt's estate near Dungannon but spelling isn't always correct in the newspapers.

Might be connected?:
Londonderry Sentinel, 30 May 1865- marriage- May 25, at Dungannon Church, by the Rev. W.J.M. Young, Incumbent of Brackaville, Mr. John Dilworth, of Killyman, to Miss Ann Jane Dilworth, of Dungannon.
Londonderry Sentinel, 17 Mar.1863- birth- March 8, at Greenvale Cottage, Cookstown, the wife of Mr. F.W. Dilworth, of a son.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 August 08 15:29 BST (UK) »
Yeah, it's true...submissions can be a nightmare, but they also can be a
stepping stone to finding more...That submission also has this:
Eleanor Dilworth born circa 1829, Dunseark, Clonfeacle, Tyrone, Ireland
and a death in 1914...no place of death stated...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline 777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 October 08 09:08 BST (UK) »
Abby a book has been written by Colleen Bull, from Gisborne, about her side of the Mossman family. She is a daughter of Pynson Wilmot Mossman, who is a son of William John Mossman. It possiby is in the Gisborne Public Library or you may be able to purchase a copy.
Roberts, McIntosh, Steggall, Arnaboldi, Debus, McKenzie,Waugh, Kennedy ,Bassett, Cook, Graham

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 October 08 15:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat 3 lucky sevens! Enjoy! J.J.