Author Topic: Donald ROSS & Kennethina DINGWALL  (Read 5661 times)

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Donald ROSS & Kennethina DINGWALL
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 July 20 06:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you, wilros, I have just been checking the information I have over the past few weeks.  As I had mentioned in my message earlier Donald ROSS is the brother of my g-grandfather, Hugh ROSS.  This is my mother's family on the maternal side. 

My grandmother, Alice Louisa ROSS is the daughter of Hugh ROSS from Lairg, Sutherland.  Hugh was the son of Hugh ROSS and Margaret FRASER.  Alice married Duncan Charlton LIVINGSTON in Kimbell, near Fairlie in Canterbury, New Zealand, on 3 April 1912. 

I have managed to take my ROSS family back to my 3x g-grandparents, Donald ROSS and Janet MACKAY of Lairg, Sutherland.  Do you have much more information on this family of Donald and Kennethina?
Jeni
Simpson, Stout, Strachan, Kidd, Lilly, Champion, Grigson, Bruce, Menzies, Polson, Murray, Livingston, Ross, MacKay, Dingwall, Armstrong, McDonald,

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
  • imagine all the people sharing all the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 July 20 14:41 BST (UK) »
... Donald ROSS is the brother of my g-grandfather, Hugh ROSS.  This is my mother's family on the maternal side. 

My grandmother, Alice Louisa ROSS is the daughter of Hugh ROSS from Lairg, Sutherland.  Hugh was the son of Hugh ROSS and Margaret FRASER.  Alice married Duncan Charlton LIVINGSTON in Kimbell, near Fairlie in Canterbury, New Zealand, on 3 April 1912. 

I have managed to take my ROSS family back to my 3x g-grandparents, Donald ROSS and Janet MACKAY of Lairg, Sutherland.  Do you have much more information on this family of Donald and Kennethina?
Jeni

Hi Jeni,

The short answer to your question is that I have a lot on Kennethina's family and very little on Donald's family.

The long answer is that in tracing my family I have only this month reached the marriage of Donald Ross (1832-1905) and Kennethina Dingwall (1845-1915). I have the baptisms and death registrations for each, and their marriage registration, and the baptisms of 5 children. It was this discussion on Rootschat.com that enabled me to hunt for Kennethina's marriage to Donald. Other potential children are mentioned in this rootschat discussion from 2008, but to date I have located baptisms of only 5 children of Kennethina (Hugh b. 1873, Marion b. 1876, Charles b. 1879, Neilina b. 1873, and Jessie b. 1888). I have not yet looked at census records for the Donald Ross and Kennethina Dingwall family in Lairg, but I have Kennethina as a child in the Neil Dingwall and Merran Macleod household in Durness Parish in the 1851 and 1861 Scotland census. Kennethina does not appear in her brother's household in the 1911 census in Durness Parish, though he has three other sisters living with him, and he is the informant on her death registration. Kennethina's death registration in Durness Parish notes that her usual residence was "Achnairn House, Shiness, Lairg" (as spelled on the form).

Also, I have all seven of Kennethina's siblings, their parents, their siblings, and more ancestors reaching back to 6 of Kennethina's 8 great grandparents in the early 1700s. One pair of those great grandparents of Kennethina Dingwall was Hugh Ross (1731-1799) and Jean Manson (1738-1831), residents of Durness Parish buried at Balnakeil churchyard who are my 4x great grandparents on my father's side.

[wr]
Ross, Manson, Mackenzie, Mackay, McGregor, McColl, Chisholm, McLellan, Grant, Calder, Sinclair, Carpenter, Bowen, Carothers, Wilson, Renwick, Gillette, Warner, McBride, Struthers, McKee, Hogg, Dunbar, Anderson

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 01:42 BST (UK) »
wilros, as you will notice from Donald's birth registration, Donald was born out of wedlock [antinuptial fornicators] on 10 April 1832, to Hugh ROSS and Peggy FRASER of Shinness.  This comes from the OPR for Lairg.  I have searched and searched and friends have looked in New Edinburgh House for a marriage of Peggy and Hugh and we have come to the conclusion there may have been a handfasting for there to be no official marriage notice anywhere.  Of course, we may yet find something.

Peggy and Hugh went on to have children: Janet b c1883; George b 1835; Charles b 1837; John b 1840; Hugh b 1842; Andrew b 1847; Barbara b c1848 and William b c1852. Some also have an Adam b c1845 although this information came from the 1851 census and other researchers believe Adam may, in fact, be Andrew.  This is the only place I have found Adam, so he may also have died early.  In the early days of my research, I had help from people of Lairg or the County Sutherland email list. 

On roots chat, I got information from the Durness Parish Register regarding the DINGWALL family beginning at Alexander, Neil's father.  I have, just recently, been searching on Ancestry to find this family and source documents.  I have also been searching on Scotland's People.  I have Kennina's birth registration image and also have found her birth on the Free Church Records of Durness where she is Kennethina.  In 1881 the family were residing at Midpenny, Lairg, Donald and Kennethina have children Hugh aged 7; Mary A aged 5 and Charles aged 2 along with Jessie DINGWALL aged 34, who was working as a general domestic and presumably a sister of Kennethina, likely Janet.  In 1901 further children, Neelina aged 17; Jessie aged 12 and Robert aged 10 were living with Donald and Kennethina.  The family were living at Achunaern, Lairg.

I do have a document for a Robert Dingwall ROSS b 23 October 1890 who was living in Chelsea, London working as an Engineers Fitter [electric] and he may be a different ROSS-DINGWALL connection.  I will continue to search for more information on Robert today.

I will pm my email address.

Jeni
Simpson, Stout, Strachan, Kidd, Lilly, Champion, Grigson, Bruce, Menzies, Polson, Murray, Livingston, Ross, MacKay, Dingwall, Armstrong, McDonald,

Offline Bouwe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 January 22 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Jessie Ross, born in Lairg (Sutherland), April 20, 1888. Parents: Donald Ross and Kennethina Dingwall.
Jessie married John Paterson, in Marylebone Presbyterian church, London, on December 12, 1916.
John Paterson served as an acting sergeant in the 2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders and was on leave in England at the time of his marriage. He was killed in action in France, on October 2, 1918.
Does anyone have information about his widow, Jessie Paterson, née Ross?

Bouwe Postmus

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 January 22 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Jessie Paterson, other surname Ross, died in Lairg in 1937 aged 48.

If you think she might be yours, you can view the death certificate online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for a small fee.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
  • imagine all the people sharing all the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Bouwe Postmus,

If you are looking for Jessie Ross born 20 April 1888 at Midpenny, Lairg, she's a cousin of mine. The death registration mentioned by Forfarian says that Jessie Ross Paterson, widow of John Paterson, died at Lairg when she was 48 years old. Cause of death was pulmonary tuberculosis.

Jessie's mother Kennethina Dingwall was a daughter of Neil Dingwall and Merran Macleod, who are buried together at Balnakeil in Durness Parish.

Jessie's grandmother Merran Macleod was a daughter of Angus Macleod and Janet Ross. Merran Macleod Dingwall and two of her Macleod sisters, and their parents (and their grandparents) are buried at Balnakeil in Durness.

:-)

[wr]
Ross, Manson, Mackenzie, Mackay, McGregor, McColl, Chisholm, McLellan, Grant, Calder, Sinclair, Carpenter, Bowen, Carothers, Wilson, Renwick, Gillette, Warner, McBride, Struthers, McKee, Hogg, Dunbar, Anderson

Offline Bouwe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 January 22 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Dear Wilros,

Thank you very much for sending me Jessie Ross Paterson's date of death.
She married John Paterson when he enjoyed a short leave in England, on December 12, 1916, at Marylebone Presbyterian church, Westminster, London. Soon after he returned to France where he served as an acting sergeant in the 2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders. He was killed in action on October 2, 1918, only 40 days before the armistice. His remains were buried in Johnstone churchyard, Dumfriesshire.

Best  regards from the Netherlands,
Bouwe Postmus