Author Topic: Edmund Vivers Voullaire Campbell  (Read 8688 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Edmund Vivers Voullaire Campbell
« on: Sunday 25 May 08 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I am trying to research a branch of my husband's family tree and have found an Andrew Leonard Voullaire, but known professionally as Mr. Campbell when actor manager at Sadlers Wells and other London Theatres. He was married twice and had 20 children - yes 20 that is not a slip on the keyboard! Two of the sons were named:-

Frederick Verves Voullaire Campbell born 7th August 1829
Edmund Campbell born c1836

These two sons were both living at home at the time of the 1851 census at 7 Wynyatt Street, Clerkenwell (District 5) H.O.107 15 9 page 17. The family name is recorded as Vontlaire Campbell in the index! Frederick was a conductor of omnibus, and Edmund was an apprentice watch maker. What happened to them after 1851 I do not know.

Now for the reason why I have posted this in connection to South Africa. Recently someone contacted me about some war medals they had purchased for an Edmund Vivers Voullaire Campbell. They gave the information that he had been born in Port Elizabeth, South Africa and served with the Diamond Fields Horse 1878 Griqualand, Matabeleland 1893 with Victoria Column, the Boer War with Imperial light Horse and finally with Motor Transport Section British South Africa Police in WW1.

Now I really would like to find the connection between Edmund Vivers Voullaire Campbell and Andrew Leonard Voullaire, because with names like those there must be a connection surely! The two sons I have mentioned above seem to be the most likely candidates for being the father of Edmund Vivers Voullaire Campbell, but without any birth details I can only guess.

I have tried the websites mentioned in other topics on this page, but although they state "Anyone can do it" everytime I put Voullaire into the search box it comes back with a nice round zero for a match!

ALL HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund Vivers Voullaire Campbell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 May 08 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hii there,
The archives have 4 matches for Voullaire - 3 for a Leonard Voullaire Campbell, who died in 1952 in the Cape. The other 2 references for him relate to his application of a mortgage in 1900 and 1909. The 4th reference is a mortgage application for Harry Vouillaire Campbell in 1908.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 May 08 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

Thank you for your very speedy reply. I obviously did not find the right pages.

The plot thickens though because the two names you mentioned are also brothers of Frederick and Edmund.

Leonard Campbell Voullaire, born 14th October 1817 married Elizabeth Larter on 30th December 1847. They had three sons:-
Edward born 1850 in London (possibly died very young)
Leonard Campbell Voullaire born 4th September 1850
Edward Albert Voullaire born 8th November 1856, Adelaide, Australia. Died 18.12.1862 Adelaide.

The family returned to London from Australia because Leonard (Snr.) died aged 77, on 25th June 1895, at 28 Poppin's Court, Fleet Street, London. Their son Leonard married Anna Quatermass in 1877, and they had three children:-

Edward Voullaire born 1878. married 4.8.1907 Evelyn Kate Langrish
Elizabeth Voullaire born 1880 - died 1881
Leonard Voullaire born 7.5.1882 at 102 Aldergate Street, London - died 1890 London.

I don't think the Leonard who died in the Cape in 1952 could be the one born in 1850 unless he lived to the ripe old age of 102! So who was the Leonard in South Africa?

The 4th reference is interesting because the youngest of Andrew Leonard Voullaire Campbell's 20 children was  Harry Hope Campbell. He was born on 27th November 1851 at 7 Wynyatt Street, Clerkenwell. At the time of Harry's marriage to Sarah Newman (13th June 1876 - Sheffield) his occupation was musician. By the time of the 1881 census he was a limelight operator, by 1891 he was a photographer and by 1901 a theatre labourer. Harry & Sarah had 6 children that I know of:-

Harry Hope Campbell 1877 - Shoreditch
George Campbell 1879 - Sheffield
Frederick Andrew Campbell 1880 - Shoreditch
Alice Campbell 1882 - Shoreditch
Walter Campbell 1884 - Shreditch
Pricilla Campbell 1887 - Shoreditch.

Now I don't know what happened to the family after he 1901 census so perhaps it was Harry Snr. applying for a motgage in 1908 after going to South Africa to join relatives or even Harry Jnr. as by 1908 he would have been 31 years old.

What this does mean is the family moved around quite a bit and some how my original quest to find out more about  Edmund Vivers Voullaire Campbell makes his connection into the family very possible.

Could you please give me guidance on how I can obtain copies of the 4 references you mentioned?

I apologise for any spelling mistakes or lost spaces but I am having difficulty typing in this message today! Not sure if it is me, the computer or website!!!!

Thank you once again for your help.
Patsy

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 January 09 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Not a big help, but...
Have you seen this publication?
http://www.vialibri.net/item_pg/2604169-1829-campbell-the-gambler-life-london-views-the-country-and-views.htm

and this directory? perhaps making contact, you might find more information?
http://shipsurveyors.com/companyDetails.asp?CompanyID=250

I imagine you have looked into the early 1700s French Huguenot Voullaire/Vollery births in London?

also a did you see the LDS submission for a birth in Luanshya, Copperbelt, Zambia 1950?
J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline EmPea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 January 09 11:51 GMT (UK) »
There is this file too

DEPOT     NAB       
SOURCE    MSCE                                                                 
REFERENCE 20929/1934                                                           
DESCRIPTION          CAMPBELL, HARRY VOLLIARE. (S/S CAMPBELL, JENNIE HENRIETTA).           
STARTING  1934                                                                 
ENDING    1934       

Regards
Moira
South Africa - Wessels/Vorster
South Africa - Behr/Toerien
South Africa - Pnematicatos/Chimato
Cornwall, England & South Africa - Hicks/Breach
Yorkshire & Durham, England & South Africa - Kenney/Hucks

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 January 09 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank You J.J. & EmPea,

No, I had not found any of that information so a BIG Thank You to you both.

I have had a look at the book information, but unfortunately it looks like it has already been sold. Possibly just as well as it is describe as 'rare' so most probably out of my price range! However it provides the information that Andrew Leonard Voullaire Campbell did have books/plays published. I wonder if I can find a library with a copy?!!!!!

I will also follow up Shipsurveyors.com another website which is new to me.

I have been to the Huguenot Library in London, but that was a couple of years ago and at that time I found information about A.L.V.Campbell's father, John Anthony Voullaire who was headmaster at the Huguenot School in Windmill Street (just off Tottenham Court Road) between 1790 & 1812, but no one else was researching the name Voullaire which surprised me knowing Andrew had 20 children. There must be lots and lots of descendent's out there! I am not sure if ALVC had any siblings but I think there may have been - still checking that one.

Thank You once again for your help.
Happy Searching,
Patsy

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 01:28 GMT (UK) »
I see the publication is of a play, in three acts...They have it here: http://librarycatalogue.cityoflondon.gov.uk
but rare books probably aren't loaners...
You can search for it here as well... http://www.worldcat.org/wcpa/ow/54188041

:) Also...you've posted elsewhere that : John Andrew Voullaire was headmaster at the Huguenot School? J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Dear J.J.

Thank you for the information about the book/play.

I have managed to contact the person who was selling the book, but too late! It was bought just before Christmas. However they put me onto the fact that there is a microfiche copy at Cambridge University Libraries. I sent an email to the library and got a very quick reply telling me how to go about viewing the film. Unfortunately the first part of the process is making a phone call and they just won't answer the phone!!!! Still I will keep trying.

Yes I have posted other messages about this family because as Andrew Leonard Voullaire Campbell had 20 children who then had off spring that spread far and wide this has become a worldwide search. Andrew's father was named as John Anthony Voullaire on his baptism record, and it is thought that is the Anglicizing of Jean Antoine Voullaire born in Geneva 17th September 1755.

Thank You once again for your help and interest.
Best Wishes,
Patsy

Offline VoullaireCampbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 April 12 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi this is a wow. My name is Edmund Voullaire Campbell, My Grandfather had the same name, My Father was Harry Voullaire Campbell, Both my father and grandfather have passed away. My Sister Lilian Hope Voulaire Campbe might be able to help you with more info. Contact her on Facebook under the name Lilian Le Grange. Sadley we had a copy of the Voullaire family history but my father misplaced it.

Ed