Author Topic: Edmund Vivers Voullaire Campbell  (Read 8691 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund Vivers Voullaire Campbell
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 April 12 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed,

Great to hear from you. Since I first posted this topic it has now come to light that Andrew Leonard Voullaire (known as Mr. Campbell) had 24 children!!!!! However 3 are still without names so I am guessing they died as infants. I would really love to hear from you and your sister, but I am one of those dinosaurs that won't join Facebook (don't trust their security). If you post a few more replies/topics here on RootsChat you will be able to send me a personal message. We are not allowed to post our email addresses - which is why I like the security on this website.

In the family tree there is an Edmund Voullaire Campbell born 4th February 1836. He started out as a watch maker but change career to that of Theatre Manager. He married twice, first in 1877 to Mary Hughes and then in 1899 to Harriet Jones. Edmund & Harriet had a daughter named Frances Margaret born in 1901.

There are three Harry Hope Campbells' first one born 27th November 1851. He had a son called Harry Hope Campbell born 17th February 1877, and in his turn he went on to have a son also called Harry Hope Campbell born in 1899. Do any of these fit into your tree?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Best Wishes, Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline VoullaireCampbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 April 12 17:18 BST (UK) »
Ok, the story I know from my grandmother, my grandfather died in 1972 at the age of 72 he was born in 1900 in South Africa. There are still members of his family living in SouthAfrica. I have not been in contact with them. My grand fathers name was Edmund Voullaire Campbell. His last job was with the Railways. My Father was born in 1930 and died about two years ago, his name was Harry Voullaire Campbell. From the beginning the Voullaires left France and went to Scotland and supposedly were actors hence the theater connections. Apparantly they did something for the Campbells of Argyle and so were given the honor of being able to take the name of Campbell and wear the Tartan. My Aunt his daughter is still alive and living in Zimbabwe. Her name is Lilian Ruth Brough.

My Grand father married Lilian Lee, Her father was Hans Lee the Son of John Lee a pre-pioneer in the early days of Rhodesia.

In regard to our tree, we did have a copy but my father lost it and so we are just as much in the dark as you are. As I mentioned above maybe you can locate some Voullaire Campbells in South Africa. The last time I checked they were living in Durban Natal. I cannot be sure now.

Ed

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 April 12 18:14 BST (UK) »
I'm amazed at how few of the name are listed on the IGI http://www.rootschat.com/links/0lmo/
There seems to more as miss-spells http://www.rootschat.com/links/0lmp/

You can have fun and browse some images here:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927115
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 April 12 00:19 BST (UK) »
Also noted repositioning of the surname to Campbell-Voullaire  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0lpb/
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/15776

Offline Archivist_47

• :
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 April 21 14:19 BST (UK) »
Patsy, do you have any further on the Quartermass - Voullaire family. Who were Anna's family?
Gordon, Foster, Gorrill