Author Topic: 1901 and parish records Wellingborough SHERRATT  (Read 5538 times)

Offline I forget

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1901 and parish records Wellingborough SHERRATT
« on: Sunday 25 May 08 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

???

I am trying to find out more about my Grandfather, Walter SHERRATT.  So far I know that his father's name was John.   He married Sylvester HARRIS, who was a Romany gypsy though they lived in a house in Lincolnshire. 

He was called a 'showman' and I presume he was also a traveller of some sort, certainly in his younger days. 

I have posted on the Traveller board and have been given lots of wonderful info about Sylvester's side of the family, but nobody seems to know anything about the SHERRATTS.

The only index entry for the birth of any Walter SHERRATT that matches is in 1900 in Wellingborough.   I have yet to get this cert (funding shortage!)  but have been trying to see if I can find this Sherratt family in the 1901 census.  If I find the family I feel pretty sure I can spot if they are likely to be the right ones.     ie any 'settled' family with jobs like 'collier' or 'milner' are likely not to be correct.

Unfortunately despite trying every variant I can think of, I can't find them. 

The only Sherratt I can find in 1901 in Northamptonshire (or anywhere else come to that) that seems even vaguely close is a John Sherratt age 69 who is living in a caravan and is a 'Galloping Horses proprietor'.  ie he's too old to be Walter's dad, but could this be a relative?  The Grandfather even??  (Little Welding, Kettering is the place)

Bearing this is mind, can anyone find anything better than what I have already in the 1901 census?

Also, I was wondering if anyone can find Walter's birth/christening in the Wellingborough area?  I don't know if this is too big an area to search.  If so, then let me know and I'll just have to get the birth cert and hope for the best!  If this could be found then maybe this might help narrow the area to search the 1901 census.  I know that the family may have moved away, but as Walter would have been a baby I'm hoping they may have not moved far.   

Bit stuck, any ideas would be helpful.  (I'm not local to the area, btw, so can't reach local libraries easily).

Cindy
LANCASHIRE: Briscoe, Taylor, Hamilton, Cutts, Mousdell, Dixon, Fairclough, Dingle, Pennington, Ingham, Martin, Pinnington, Haselden, Molyneux
CHESHIRE/DENBEIGHSHIRE: Briscoe, Gibson, Tudor

SCOTLAND: Hunt, Murray, Docherty, Malley, Cameron, Colman, Middleton, Mason, Drummond, Gourdale, Fraser

East Anglia/East Midlands/Traveller: Harris, Gray, Thorpe, Sherratt, Sly, (Twigdon, Fendick, Clarke) Jackson, Rowe

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 and parish records Wellingborough SHERRATT
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 May 08 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Cindy

Have you tried Freebmd web site for Walter's birth.

I will have a look at Little Weldon and see if there are any more clues
unless someone else does it 1st.  :)

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline I forget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 May 08 17:42 BST (UK) »
Gosh that was a quick reply!

yes I have tried Freebmd, that's where I got the index ref for Walter's birth in 1900.  I also checked another site, which I have paid for, as it has the full indexes, as I can no longer go up to the FRC, as its closed, and look at the books  :(

This is why I'm pretty sure that this is the only one round the right date and in the general East coast area.  However, I don't know if this is a travelling family and if the father is John. 

If you come up with anything let me know, if not still let me know! 

Thanks
Cindy
LANCASHIRE: Briscoe, Taylor, Hamilton, Cutts, Mousdell, Dixon, Fairclough, Dingle, Pennington, Ingham, Martin, Pinnington, Haselden, Molyneux

SCOTLAND: Hunt, Murray, Docherty, Malley, Cameron, Colman, Middleton, Mason, Drummond, Gourdale, Fraser

East Anglia/East Midlands/Traveller: Harris, Gray, Thorpe, Sherratt, Sly, (Twigdon, Fendick, Clarke) Jackson, Rowe

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 May 08 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Cindy

You may already have this link

http://nt.net/whogan/tree/sherratt.htm

It says you may contact with queries.

Might help.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline I forget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 May 08 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy,
Thanks for that, will do, though it initially looks more linked to the large concentration of Sherratts in Staffordshire, which I've noticed on the census. 

Anybody got any more ideas? 

Cheers
Cindy

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 May 08 22:15 BST (UK) »
Might be a variation of
Sharrock/Sherrock/Sharrog these are found in Holcot
or
Shearhog which is found in Pytchley

Marilyn

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 July 08 14:08 BST (UK) »
There are Sherratts in Higham Ferrers to this day.
Don't know how long the family has been here though.
At least 25 years,cos my son was at school with one of them  ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 July 08 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Linking topic as a lot of information here also.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03vm/

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline I forget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 July 08 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Marilyn and Carol for their comments, I'll bear them in mind.  (still searching btw).

Sandy, yup, you've spotted my post on the traveller board,   :)  its given me a huge amount to digest about the Harris family and associated (Thorpe Gray etc) but it seems no-one has anything on Sherratt.

But if anyone is linked to 'traveller' Harris's etc, do have a look.
(Walter Sherratt married Sylvester Harris)

Ah well, I'll keep trying...
Cindy