Author Topic: Thomas Bennett McBeth Marriage! Parents' death or anything  (Read 7286 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bennett McBeth Marriage! Parents' death or anything
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Riley,
Only the other researcher's dating is what I have on the birth and death of Thomas Abert.
I can order a transcription of his death certificate to support [ or otherwise].
This process takes a little while.  Unlike Victorian certificates, they cannot be downloaded online.

The informamation I have comes from the other searcher's page.....

http://www.ozigen.com/p1445.htm

and from
 http://www.bdm.nsw.au

It is not out of the question, I suppose that he was born at sea on the  voyage over, but he would still need to be registered wouldn't he?.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 13:23 BST (UK) »

Thomas Albert George Macbeth  ...  1875  ... Waimate

Robert Charles Macbeth  ...  1877  ...  Oamaru

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 22:21 BST (UK) »

Thank you,Zephyr.
Sue

Offline Terryjc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 03:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

There are a number of McBeth burials recorded in the Timaru Cemetery:
http://www.timaru.govt.nz/index.asp?sidenav=servnav.html&mainpage=services/cemeteries/index.html

Don't know if related, but two of these "John and Mary McBeth" would have resided there at the same time as your Thomas and Elizabeth.

There is a bit of a headstone photo muddle between the two John McBeth's so look at Mary's instead.  I have emailed Timaru to sort this out.

regards Terry
Ireland - Hanning, Ross

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 09:22 BST (UK) »
Terry. 

Well now that's interesting.  It is possible that they were related [notwithstanding the spelling differences]

Thomas' parents, Chalrotte and William were married in 1847 and Thomas born in 1850, so for this John to be a brother is unlikely.

However, he may possibly have been an uncle.  That was a very good find thank you!
Sue

Offline wiglet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 07:53 BST (UK) »
Thomas Bennett McBeth/MacBeth and Elizabeth Catherine Mary Mason are my branch (well, my husband's branch, anyway), so I thought I might weigh in and add what I know.

This couple were both living in NZ by 1872, in time for the birth of their daughter Eliza Charlotte (my husband's gr. grandmother).  She was born on 11th December 1872, in Cashel Street East, Christchurch (registered in Jan 1873) - I have a copy of the entry to prove it!.  Her father's profession is listed as a Plasterer, and her mother is listed as Elizabeth MacBeth, formerly Mason, so they were doing the common law thing well by 1872 as well.

I was not able to find their marriage cert, because I was looking in the wrong period (1868 to 1872), assuming, of course, that they were legally married before producing offspring, and that all the details attached to all Birth/Death certificates I have concerning this couple were correct (age when married - 22 for Thomas and 21 for Elizabeth, according to their Death Certs).  Hmm, next time, I'll be Devil's advocate and widen my search.

The MacBeth family, complete with sons Thomas and Robert, had moved to NSW by 1883, as Thomas senior to appears in the Sands Business Directory for that year, as a Plasterer.  He also appears in 1887, and Elizabeth has entries for 1887 and 1888, as a midwife.  They move to Victoria by April 1892, as they are resident in the town of Warracknabeal, in time for daughter Eliza Charlotte's marriage to William Alexander Patterson.  Elizabeth was practicing as a midwife at the time, including the birth of eldest granddaughter Jessie Lillian Patterson in the June of 1892 (married just in time!).  By 1898, they are back in Sydney and both listed in the Sands directory for that year.

Interestingly enough, Eliza Charlotte returned home in 1904 for the birth of her youngest son, Sydney, which unfortunately did not go well - she died at her parent's house, at 341 Cleveland Street, Redfern, on 16 August 1904, the day after he was born.  Maybe it was a troublesome pregnancy, hence the return home?  She was buried in Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney, leaving husband William to bring up their six young children alone, back in Warracknabeal.

Thomas and Elizabeth also had an adopted daughter, Pearl, who married James Henry Brooks in 1906 in Windsor, NSW.  Not sure if she was adopted in NZ or NSW, however.

How's that for some further info on this couple?!?

Regards

Jenny

Goding: Banwell {Somerset} to Vic {Aus}
Howell: Cheltenham {UK} to Vic {Aus}
Brown: Wandsworth {UK} to Vic {Aus}
Hawken: Cornwall to SA {Aus}, Vic {Aus}
McLellan: Buchlyvie {Scot} to Vic {Aus}
Morey: Dorset to Tas {Aus}
Grachan: Clare {Ire} to TAS {Aus}
Wellard: Kent to TAS {Aus}
Naylor: Yorkshire to Vic {Aus}
Magee: Clare {Ire} to SA {Aus}
Crockford: Berkshire to Victoria {Aus}
Patterson: Angus to SA {Aus}, Vic {Aus}
McBeth: Westminster {UK} to Sydney {Aus} 
Mason: Stepney {UK} to Sydney {Aus}

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
Dear Jenny,
With great excitment I will take a little time out to read and absorb your wonderful contribution to my McBeth search.

It is a big thrill to have contact with you and many thanks for taking the time to post.

Back to you soon. ;D

Best wishes, Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 30 April 09 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi wiglet,
It has been very interesting reading your information and putting the pieces in their place.
Thanks again and welcome to Rootschat.  I hope you get as much fun from the forum as I do. The helpers on this and the Australian board have opened a whole new world to me over the years.

Following my new knowledge from your posting, I have found another researcher on the net interested in the PATTERSONS of Warracknabeal.

Here is the link..
http://www.netspeed.com.au/dryandra1/pvhayse%20html/fam/fam01269.html

I am pretty sure the researcher is not you as some info you have given on this board is absent form the webpage....such as informaton about the number of PATTERSON children etc.

You may like to know some details about the MASON's [Elizabeth's people]which I hold.  These include census findings before the marriages of the MASON children

Most particularly I have events about ELIZA MASON , your Elizabeth's sister [It looks as if the daughter ELIZA  Charlotte may have been named for her and the name goes back another generation too!] and her family, both in Australia and England.

Our exchanges may not be of great interest to the general R.chat community so as soon as we can, perhaps you would like to use the Personal Message system of R.chat to exchange information .

This is done by clicking on the little green scroll sort of icon on the left of the message body, just near the little wee face thing.  There is a link on R,chat explaining the whole thing somewhere.  I'll have a look.

BUT As a newby you won't be able to use the Personal Message system till you have posted 3 times on the open board.
{Any little prattle will do ;D}
After that we can enjoy a nice exchange if you like :D

Bye for now,

Sue

Offline wiglet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 30 April 09 06:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

It is very interesting to find out that Elizabeth Mason had other family in Australia, other than her husband and children.  I have been able to find English Census info about her parents and siblings, but nothing more than that, and certainly not a thing about their descendants.

There are a few other Patterson researchers out there, and the information is fairly extensive on that side of the family (the fact that they didn't move around quite so much makes things easier in that respect, as well, but sometimes the challenge is half the fun, isn't it?).

I will get my minimum number of posts done ASAP, so that we can then exchange messages on this.

Regards

Jenny

Goding: Banwell {Somerset} to Vic {Aus}
Howell: Cheltenham {UK} to Vic {Aus}
Brown: Wandsworth {UK} to Vic {Aus}
Hawken: Cornwall to SA {Aus}, Vic {Aus}
McLellan: Buchlyvie {Scot} to Vic {Aus}
Morey: Dorset to Tas {Aus}
Grachan: Clare {Ire} to TAS {Aus}
Wellard: Kent to TAS {Aus}
Naylor: Yorkshire to Vic {Aus}
Magee: Clare {Ire} to SA {Aus}