Author Topic: Lord Lurgan and a mystery  (Read 4209 times)

Offline acookey

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
Lord Lurgan and a mystery
« on: Tuesday 27 May 08 04:24 BST (UK) »
While searching old editions of the Freeman's Journal digitised on the net, hoping to find some information on the Pasley family, I found this:

Edition Nov. 13, 1848
In the matter of Lord Lurgan, a Minor
Mr Tomb, QC, applied on behalf of Lady Lurgan, the guardian of the minor, that the report of the Master in this case be confirmed.  The object of the proceeding was, that the furniture and plate belonging to the Late Lord Lurgan (which had been by his will left to Lady Lurgan) should be purchased from her Ladyship for the minor, Mr. Robert Pasley, of Bachelor's Walk, Dublin, and Mr Dowell of Edinburgh, to be appointed to value the property, with power to call a third person if necessary.  This report also recommended that certain releases and renewal of leases, sought for by the Lurgan Gas Co. and others should be executed.

The court granted the motion.

At the outset, I will give you what I know, so kind people are not retracing my footsteps.

1. Robert Pasley b. abt 1783 was a Cabinet Maker in 18/19/20 Bachelors Court.  He died in 1861, so the Robert mentioned above is probably not his son, as he would have been alive in 1848.

2. Robert Pasley migrated to Australia in 1849 aged 14-15.  He is my ggrandfather.

3.  My ggrandfathers parents were Rev William Pasley and Katherine Wilson Palliser, who were married in Tintern Church in 1820.  I found a marriage notice for them on 14/9/1820.

4. Robert Pasley of Bachelors Walk was executor of the will of another Rev William Pasley, Rector of Rathaspeck, who died in 1837.

5.  My ggrandfathers mother, Katherine Pasley (nee Wilson Palliser) died in 1881, and is buried at Mt Jerome with Robert Pasley of Bachelors Walk and his wife Maria.

6. Elizabeth, daughter of Rev William and Katherine gave Bachelors Walk as her address at her marriage in 1847 and Robert Pasley signed as witness with the grooms father as the other.

Sorry this is a bit longwinded, but does anyone have any idea of what it might be about.

With thanks
Annette from Qld Australia.
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline acookey

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Lurgan and a mystery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 May 08 07:41 BST (UK) »
By the way that was the "Chancery Court". 

Annette
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline rsami

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Lurgan and a mystery
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 March 11 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was searching Pasley.
My grandfather James Henry Pasley born in NZ, son of George Frederick Pasley had brothers Robert, William, Frederick and ??
George b. 11.04.1871 Liverpool was son of Frederick Martin(?) Pasley b. 31.03.1832 Dublin,
who was son of William Henry Pasley born Ireland 1780/90.
Just wondering if you can across any of these names/dates in your Pasley search.
Thanks
Samuel Barton Lush, Lush, Masefield, Gaul, Pasley