Author Topic: TAGGART/HANNA/  (Read 69196 times)

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
TAGGART/HANNA/
« on: Wednesday 19 January 05 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Descendants of Andrew Taggart

Generation No. 1

1.  ANDREW1 TAGGART was born in Donegore. Antrim, and died March 11, 1886 in TamneyBreak. co. Antrim.

Children of ANDREW TAGGART are:
2.   i.   JOSEPH2 TAGGART, b. January 08, 1833, Legoniel. Belfast. Northern Ireland..
   ii.   MARY TAGGART, b. December 26, 1835, Donegore. Antrim.
   iii.   WILLIAM TAGGART, b. September 20, 1821, Ballynoe. antrim.
   iv.   ROBERT TAGGART, b. November 12, 1824, Hungry Hall.; m. JANE MCBRIDE, March 03, 1847; b. Hungry Hall..
   v.   ANDREW TAGGART, b. August 10, 1827, Drumnagargan; m. JANE HOUSTON, September 01, 1886.
   vi.   RACHEL TAGGART.

Generation No. 2

2.  JOSEPH2 TAGGART (ANDREW1) was born January 08, 1833 in Legoniel. Belfast. Northern Ireland..  He married MARY ANNE MCBRIDE October 01, 1858 in 2nd Donegore Presbytarian Church., daughter of JAMES MCBRIDE. 

Marriage Notes for JOSEPH TAGGART and MARY MCBRIDE:
Tobernagill is a townland (ancient Irish division of land still in use today) in Co. Antrim, on the slopes of Donegore Hill which lies 10 miles norht of Belfast.

Child of JOSEPH TAGGART and MARY MCBRIDE is:
3.   i.   JOSEPH3 TAGGART, b. June 20, 1870, Legoniel. Ballysillan.Belfast. Northern Ireland.; d. May 31, 1957, 11 Tullybrannigan Rd. Newcastle. Co. Down. N. Ireland..

Generation No. 3

3.  JOSEPH3 TAGGART (JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born June 20, 1870 in Legoniel. Ballysillan.Belfast. Northern Ireland., and died May 31, 1957 in 11 Tullybrannigan Rd. Newcastle. Co. Down. N. Ireland..  He married ANNA MABEL HANNA March 27, 1896 in Cliftonville Pres. Church., daughter of WILLIAM HANNA and NANCY MCDOWELL.  She was born in Randalstown. Co. Antrim, and died January 08, 1956 in 11 Tullybrannigan Rd. Newcastle. Co. Down. N. Ireland..

Children of JOSEPH TAGGART and ANNA HANNA are:
4.   i.   EILEEN (EVELYN)4 TAGGART, b. October 05, 1896, legoniel. Belfast. Northern Ireland.; d. May 14, 1980, Royal Victoria Hosp. Belfast..
5.   ii.   JOSEPH TAGGART, b. May 16, 1899, Delhi Terrace, Ballysillan. Belfast. Northern Ireland.; d. March 01, 1979, Nursing Home, Whiteabbey, Co. Antrim. Northern Ireland..
   iii.   REGINALD WILLIAM TAGGART, b. April 07, 1901, Legoniel. Belfast. Northern Ireland.; d. September 15, 1947, Ballygally rd. Norfthern Ireland..
6.   iv.   CLARENCE IVOR TAGGART, b. March 10, 1905, Legoniel. Belfast. Northern Ireland.; d. January 15, 1982, Alexian Brothers Nursing HOme. Warrenpoint..
7.   v.   HERBERT ANDREW TAGGART, b. November 16, 1907, Legoniel. Belfast. Northern Ireland.; d. December 30, 1983, Purdysburn Hosp. Saintfield Rd. Belfast..
   vi.   VINCENT TAGGART.

Generation No. 4

4.  EILEEN (EVELYN)4 TAGGART (JOSEPH3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born October 05, 1896 in legoniel. Belfast. Northern Ireland., and died May 14, 1980 in Royal Victoria Hosp. Belfast..  She married THOMAS JOHNSTON JONES in England we think. 

Child of EILEEN TAGGART and THOMAS JONES is:
   i.   HEATHER MARGARET5 JONES, d. June 06, 1997; m. ROBERT CRAWFORD, 1940.

5.  JOSEPH4 TAGGART (JOSEPH3, JOSEPH2, ANDREW1) was born May 16, 1899 in Delhi Terrace, Ballysillan. Belfast. Northern Ireland., and died March 01, 1979 in Nursing Home, Whiteabbey, Co. Antrim. Northern Ireland..  He married VIOLET MAWHINNEY December 25, 1926 in Loughmorne Church, Carrickfergus. Co. Antrim., daughter of JAMES MAWHINNEY and MARGARET DICKSON.  She was born January 08, 1906 in Whiteabbey, Co. Antrim Northern Ireland., and died October 22, 1975 in 29 Lismoyne Park, North Circular Rd, Belfast. Northern Ireland..

TAGGART/ HANNA  Donegore and Belfast Co. Antrim.
MAWHINNEY Co. Armagh and Whiteabbey.Co. Antrim
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: TAGGART/HANNA/
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Irish,

I assume this post was not for information purposes only.
It is very well detailed and indicates you have a keen interest in Genealogy.

I presume Andrew Taggart, born in Donegore. Co. Antrim, and died March 11, 1886 in TamneyBreak. Co. Antrim is your brick wall and you require further information about this man.

Did some of the 163 people who have read this post send you an email or a private message? If not, why not?

All the Best,

Christopher

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher. thanks for compliment, however I am not very good at genealogy at all, and am only doing it to keep a promise I made my daughters five years ago that I would try and trace their roots and find some of the ancestors etc. The brick wall I have hit is actually the fact that I can not afford to pay the charges of the various sites to pay for information especially which I later find out is nothing to do with my family. I have made too many erros in sending for informatiion and get confused with the various sites. I do love this site though! I am now senior and have to work from a budget unfortunately.
I would love help from anyone who can look at the above information I have given on any of the family and if anyone should see a connection or can help me fill a few holes or go farther back on any of them, I would be over the moon.
thanks so much for caring. Val.
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hei Val,

Before you tell me Hi does not have an "e" I will tell you I use a Norwegian spelling of the word as my maternal grandmother came from Norway.

Did your father start the building business or was it started by your grandfather? A good family history should contain not only the dry facts about the family but also interesting snippets about things they did and in the case of your family lots of photographs of them and buildings they built. Do you have all the photographs or would your living relatives in Belfast have some photogtraphs which are different from yours. The details you have shown me so far indicate you should be writing a book. I feel your family played an important role in the area in which they lived during the 20th century.

W.D.R and R.T. Taggart, Architects, designed the Lotus Factory, Newry Road, Banbridge, Co. Down. Do you know if they were members of your family?  www.c20society.org.uk/docs/casework/northst_arcade.html

I found a person searching for Taggarts in the early 1800s in North Antrim, in Billy Parish, near Bushmills.  http://www.ulsterancestry.com

All the Best Chris

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cris, thanks for info. Re those Taggarts of Bushmills I have been on their site many times and wrote to the administrator of it. He tells me the Busmills Taggarts do not tie in with my Antrim family.
Secondly , re who started our taggart family business . It was my grandfather who apparently worked out of a wee shed when they l lived in Legoneil.  That was up in Delhi Stree in those days. I did go and take pictures last time I ws over etc.  It was my father who took the business to greater times.
That builder you mentioned is nothing to do with us. I did find them also when browsing the internet as well but sadly it just a coincidence.
I actually am a member of the Family Tree maker programe and have version 11 and have all my data, history, tid-bits from family etc, pictures, all entered on it. Great way to save info and very easy. Write a book you say?  Well if I can just fill in some more gaps and dates on what I have etc or get a bit farther back with the Taggart, Hanna, mawhinney and Dickson and Galloway family, I might just do that.
Val
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew, and thanks so very much for your reply. HOnest to goodness this is more attentiion that I have ever received on this site.  Wonderful  .
that taggart brothers buildingers of Delhi street, are definately my grandfather. 
Joseph taggart bricklayer  1 springvale terrace could be but how can I tell or find out.  This is where I am so bad at genealogy.  Where did you find these and under what years.  Your a doll for helping me.  Val.
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Re your 'ANDREW1 TAGGART was born in Donegore. Antrim, and died March 11, 1886 in TamneyBreak. co. Antrim' entry.

Not certain, but if it is Tammybrack/Tamneybrack/Tammneybrake (spelling keeps changing) in the Parish of Racavan, I think this chap is recorded in a book I happen to have (not much detail on him though, mainly record of having been visited by the minister of Buckna Presbyterian Church and mention in one entry in Nov 1866 of his wife being his second, also a mention of an Andrew, Jane and Sarah Taggart of Tammybrack attending Communion). A few other Taggarts are also recorded from neighbouring townlands.

Some of my line also happened to live in the parish and even some in the same townland, so if you need more info on the area, just ask.

When I get some time, I will check through all the entries where he is recorded.

Just noticed a Jane Taggart of Tamneybrack is recorded as a Farmer around 1880/3 and a Robert Taggart of Tamneybrack emigrated to Brandon, Canada in1915.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 06 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hei there Val,

How was the gathering last night? Did everyone have a good time and enjoy themselves? Did you have a wee glass of wine before everyone arrived?  8)
You received a message from Anthony but obviously you are so worried about finding Andrew Taggart our good friend Anthony now has a new name.

How are you there Andrew?  8) (I see your point Val it saves a letter in the typing process). Anthony we must get together over a coffee and discuss this thread as I feel there may be a fair amount of searching for information. I am aiming to be in the Central Library, Royal Avenue this afternoon/evening. Anthony I am sure the names you produced came out of your fine collection of street directories.
Directory of Belfast and the Province of Ulster 1852
Antrim
J Taggart, spirit merchant, Main Street
Belfast
Henry Taggart, carpenter, 11, New Durham Street
John Taggart, publican, 2, Valentine Street
Mary Taggart, dealer, 2, Lower Stanfield Street
Moses Taggart, commercial traveller, 1, Bank Lane
Samuel Taggart, grocer and spirit dealer, 8, Henrietta Street
Dungannon
James Taggart, carpenter, Washingford Row
Monaghan
Edward Taggart, blacksmith, Park Street

I notice Joseph Taggart married Mary Anne McBride at 2nd Donegore Presbyterian in 1858. Here are the addresses for both 1st Donegore and 2nd Donegore Presbyterian Churches. I wonder if the family stuck religiously to their own pew in the mid 1800s or if that was a more recent occurrence?

http://www.antrim.gov.uk/Community_Detail.cfm?alpha=all&Community_Id=8&CommunityCat_Id=4&Category_Key=128

http://www.antrim.gov.uk/Community_Detail.cfm?alpha=all&Community_Id=17&CommunityCat_Id=4&Category_Key=128

This picture of the Corpse House at Donegore Parish Church may be of interest to you. It will give you an idea of some of the leisure pastimes in which people participated in that area before the invention of television. http://radiocarbon.pa.qub.ac.uk/local/antrim/corpsehouse.html

Scotmum, that book you mentioned isn't Francis J. Montgomery's
"A short history of Second Donegore Presbyterian Church, 1788-1988" is it? 
There are several books about the area in the Northern Ireland Libraries Catalogue. http://www.ni-libraries.net  including -
B.W. Ferguson's "Brief historical notice of the parish and people of Donegore 1634-1882" "The Ordnance Memoirs of the parish" might be worth a look as the names of people are mentioned in them occasionally.

The Irish Gravestone inscriptions site mentions the death, by drowning whilst ice skating, of William Taggart who was the son of late Dr Taggart of Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim. www.historyfromheadstones.com/index.php?id=804

All the Best, Chris