Author Topic: TAGGART/HANNA/  (Read 69110 times)

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: TAGGART/HANNA/
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 January 06 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi C, the lady called Sara Dorman who is also looking to find a Taggart.
I read her message for the first time yesterday. I have written her back on the board to tell her that the person she mentions (Ivor Taggart) is definately my fathers brother.
TAGGART/ HANNA  Donegore and Belfast Co. Antrim.
MAWHINNEY Co. Armagh and Whiteabbey.Co. Antrim
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: TAGGART/HANNA (Taggart thread)
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 January 06 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Val,

Robert Taggart of Carrickmacross owned 155 acres in Co. Tyrone in 1876
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tyrone/info/landowners.html
I found eleven Taggarts who signed the Ulster Covenant in the Ballysillan Ligoniel area. I am puzzled as to why the distribution of the sexes is somewhat uneven - one man and ten women. It might be an idea to check the address in the street directory. In some of the instances this may show there was a man in the house.

Mrs Martha Taggart, 8, Legnave Street ,Ligoniel
Racel Taggart, 8, Legnave Street, Ligoniel
Lizzie Taggart, 7, Leggagh Street Ligoniel
Joseph Taggart, Billstown, Ligoniel
Jenny Taggart, 6, Primrose Street, Ballysillan
Sarah Taggart, 6, Primrose Street, Ballysillan
Rose Taggart, 3, Leggagh Street, Ballysillan
Mary Taggart, 2, Glenbank Place,  Ballysillan
Lizzie Taggart 2, Glenbank Place, Ballysillan
Sarah Taggart, 7, Leggagh Street, Ballysillan
Bella Taggart, 7, Leggagh Street, Ballysillan
Jenny Taggart, 6, Primrose Street, Ballysillan

http://www.proni.gov.uk/ulstercovenantsearch/results.asp Broken link

All the Best Chris

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: TAGGART/HANNA (Taggart thread)
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Val,

I feel it might be an idea to go further back in time from Andrew Taggart of Donegore who died in 1886. There is a possibility it could be easier taking his children's Christian names into consideration. Were they named after their grandfather, grandmother or some of Andrew's siblings? ???
The search could get bogged down looking through many guys named Andrew. I suggest you leave the brick wall and look at some of those other Christian names. This may enable you to return to Andrew with a lineage from the past to the approximate date of his birth. 

Was Andrew Taggart a farmer? ??? If so the farm was probably inherited by him. The questions how and when did the Taggart family become farmers must be considered. Where did they farm before appearing at Donegore? ??? You have a couple of Williams in the family. I found a William Taggart in the article in this site below. He may have fought at the Siege of Derry and Battle of the Boyne. www.4qd.org/torrens/books/rmt02.html

I hope this does not become a wild goose chase but it is worthwhile looking around you whilst looking at a brick wall. Much more pleasant than banging your head against it  8) I suggest your friend Cynthia looks around too.
Sounds as though she has a bit of a sore head after spending several hours searching for Andrew Taggart of Donegore.

Best Wishes, Chris

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Val

Can I stop banging my head looking for your Andrew ,can I look for your Hanna's now please.

What do you need?where shall I go ?

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, thanks so much for your offer of help. You all seem to be a great bunch and I am so glad I joined up on this site.
Yes you most certainly can look any time for any of my evasive ancestors. 
What do I need?  Well what I really need is for someone to take over all my data and do the damn thing for me :):):)
I have got myself into a mess due to bad filing and trying to do too many sides of the family at one.
My maiden name was Taggart. I was born in Belfast but came to Calgary 30 years ago.  My daughters bugged and bugged me to try doing our tree, and I started out with not even knowing the names of my grandparents due to them either having died before I came along or shortly thereafter.
I really don't know what I am doing and it has been my girlfriend in Ireland who has helped me so far. But she is cant do all the running around she used to be able to do plus neither of us can afford the charges so I am going to try and wing it myself.
Where do I start though?
TAGGART/ HANNA  Donegore and Belfast Co. Antrim.
MAWHINNEY Co. Armagh and Whiteabbey.Co. Antrim
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Val,

This table, after you have entered the name Taggart in the blank line, shows the distribution of the name Taggart throughout Ireland during the period 1848-64. I have a few light coloured hairs in my beard (does that qualify me as a dumb blonde or does such a definition not apply to men? ???)
http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm

Steve, should the Hanna's be on a different thread? You know about such technical matters as you use lengths of string  :D I wonder if some of that wallpaper you use came from Christies of Belfast  :D When did your family move to England?  ??? Maybe you do not know of Christies Wallpaper and Paints. I am sure Val will feel very much at home with someone with north Belfast connections assisting her. 8)

All the Best, Chris

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Val

You start with.......... a deep breath.....pull up your chair........and a glass of wine..........now we will begin.

Start at the beginning

1 do you have Anna's marriage certificate or birth.

2 Any family story's that might point you in the right       directions.

3 Any siblings names

And if you want to start a separate message for the Hanna's to make it easier for my Uncle Chris to follow what is going on then you can do that.........if you want( ;D it might make it easier for others to follow as well)

And I too have lots of papers and my tree on wallpaper roll.........we all get in a mess...takes time Val but you'll get there in the end.

steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Uncle Chris

I have "made in Ireland" right through me, well only 13 generations so far ................

Christies to posh for us ......

Nothing wrong with the old fashion way with your tree,when all computers go a.w.l we will still have a paper (and string trail) ;)

Can you help Val out with new thread if she needs it please......

Heres to happy hunting the Hanna's Val

Steve

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Uncle Chris

I have "made in Ireland" right through me, well only 13 generations so far ................

Christies to posh for us ......

Nothing wrong with the old fashion way with your tree,when all computers go a.w.l we will still have a paper (and string trail) ;)

Can you help Val out with new thread if she needs it please......

Heres to happy hunting the Hanna's Val

Steve

Hei Steve,

I am delighted you used the phrase "made in Ireland" I am proud to say I have both Celtic and Irish Roots.  It is much more fun being a good mongrel than a pure bred Norn Iron Prod.  8)

Thirteen generations means your family were here long before the state of Northern Ireland was established. I have some work to do if I wish to trace the Alexander family of my maternal grandfather or that of my maternal great  grandmother, Janet Erskine, back 13 generations.

All the Best, Chris