Author Topic: TAGGART/HANNA/  (Read 69190 times)

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: TAGGART/HANNA/
« Reply #54 on: Friday 17 February 06 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fairy Godfather  >:(,
I tried that DNA testing site. Odd thing is that my girlfriend in Ireland went to something up at the Hospital in Belfast for exactly the same thing.  They had been advertising it and looking for people so she agreed. Have not talked to her yet to see how it went and what other info she gleamed from them about all this DNA testing for genealogy. Will let ya all know.
TAGGART/ HANNA  Donegore and Belfast Co. Antrim.
MAWHINNEY Co. Armagh and Whiteabbey.Co. Antrim
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 17 February 06 19:21 GMT (UK) »
went on that other site you gave me
Griffith's Valuation of Ireland 1848-64 http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php
and found the following.
Taggart   Joseph   Freemanstown   Donegore   Antrim
Taggart   James   Browndod   Donegore   Antrim
Taggart   James   Ballynoe   Donegore   Antrim
Taggart   Andrew   Tobergill   Donegore   Antrim
Now how the heck to I find out if these are mine or not.
this is where I always have trouble knowing where to go when I find names.
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 17 February 06 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Get off with you Val. Uncle Chris will be prefectly acceptable. You have to be careful with the words referring to those gentle beings that used to be found at the bottom of the garden. Several innocent words have been given a totally new meaning during our lifetime.

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 18 February 06 02:21 GMT (UK) »
lol
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 18 February 06 11:48 GMT (UK) »
went on that other site you gave me
Griffith's Valuation of Ireland 1848-64 http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php
and found the following.
Taggart   Joseph   Freemanstown   Donegore   Antrim
Taggart   James   Browndod   Donegore   Antrim
Taggart   James   Ballynoe   Donegore   Antrim
Taggart   Andrew   Tobergill   Donegore   Antrim
Now how the heck to I find out if these are mine or not.
this is where I always have trouble knowing where to go when I find names.

Hi Val,

I hope you have not a lot planned for the weekend as I intend to do my best to keep you busy searching for and sorting those ancestors of yours :D. Here's hoping the weather is still cold and you are well wrapped up keeping warm at your computer. You may start by reading this useful article http://www.from-ireland.net/gene/griffithsval.htm Your task in deciding which of a long list of Taggarts is yours is made slightly easier - note the paragraph referring to a name mentioned more than once in the Valuation. It states that this may well be the same person owning more than one property. Your friend who helped you with some of the research, I wont mention her name as I do not want to embarrass her, stated that there were almost 100 Andrew Taggarts. This is not quite correct. There were probably fewer than 100 Andrews as several of them owned or leased more than one property.

There are going to be some problems tracing your ancestors in the 18th century. Read the paragraph contained in this site about the Presbyterian Church. http://www.proni.gov.uk/records/church.htm Brolen link
Is it all perfectly clear now ??? Will you be able to sort out which ones are yours by yourself ??? Dont worry Val you have some capable researchers assisting you with every means of modern technology at their disposal - ball point pens, computers, notepads, pieces of string by the yard, printers, scanners, wall paper by the roll and well licked pencils. I think that covers everything.

Val, if you decide to use wallpaper by the roll when making a family tree, make sure that beautiful puppy Brogan is not in the room at the time. The last thing you need is muddy paw marks over such a large family tree. Brogan is so adorable I feel everyone would love to see his picture. What is it with you Co. Antrim people ??? Are you competing with Steve to see which of you has the most ancestors ??? Maybe I should have another go at the Alexanders and Erskines :D . Here is another Taggart, Maggie, who sang with The Tokens Showband in the 1960s www.irishshowbands.net/bgtokens.htm

All the Best, Uncle Chris

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: TAGGART/HANNA (Taggart thread)
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Val,

Robert Taggart of Carrickmacross owned 155 acres in Co. Tyrone in 1876
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tyrone/info/landowners.html
I found eleven Taggarts who signed the Ulster Covenant in the Ballysillan Ligoniel area. I am puzzled as to why the distribution of the sexes is somewhat uneven - one man and ten women. It might be an idea to check the address in the street directory. In some of the instances this may show there was a man in the house.

Mrs Martha Taggart, 8, Legnave Street ,Ligoniel
Racel Taggart, 8, Legnave Street, Ligoniel
Lizzie Taggart, 7, Leggagh Street Ligoniel
Joseph Taggart, Billstown, Ligoniel
Jenny Taggart, 6, Primrose Street, Ballysillan
Sarah Taggart, 6, Primrose Street, Ballysillan
Rose Taggart, 3, Leggagh Street, Ballysillan
Mary Taggart, 2, Glenbank Place,  Ballysillan
Lizzie Taggart 2, Glenbank Place, Ballysillan
Sarah Taggart, 7, Leggagh Street, Ballysillan
Bella Taggart, 7, Leggagh Street, Ballysillan
Jenny Taggart, 6, Primrose Street, Ballysillan

http://www.proni.gov.uk/ulstercovenantsearch/results.asp

All the Best Chris

Hi there Val,

You may have a young puppy there that needs training but this old dog here is reasonably well trained. He has been using his head :D
There are so many Taggarts in the Ballysillan area. It might be worth while having a look through the records of Ballysillan Presbyterian Church www.presbyterianireland.org/congregations/ballysillan.html Have you any idea which records Cynthia may have seen whilst she was helping you ??? There is little point in going over old ground. Which Church did the family attend whilst living at Lismoyne Park, North Circular Road?

Do you know if there is a Latter Day Saints Family History Centre (commonly known as LDS FHC) near you ??? I have just looked at www.familysearch.org and found that about 1782 Andrew Taggart married Sarah Wilson at Donegore Parish. Val, this is beginning to look like your family - in 1783 Joseph Taggart was born at Donegore Parish and you know who his parents are don't you - Andrew Taggart and Sarah Wilson.  Michael Taggart Birth:   1798 ... Ireland Does not say where in Ireland but might possibly have been a much younger child of Andrew and Sarah. He died 9th Sep 1868 I also found a William born at Ballyeaston in 1794.

Val, I am getting tired so have logged off at 1.30am and gone to bed.

All the Best,

Chris 

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 21 February 06 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Oh Great heavens on earth Chris, I cant believe what all you have found here.  I am sorry I have not been around checking in but I am also doing some work for my daughter in her company as she is short handed so have been up to my eyes.   I have printed this info of yours all off and am going to sit down and try and digest it all. 
Then I shall try and find out where who fits in where on my tree.  If that is at all possible.
when I was a young girl we went to Rosemary Pres. Church. North Circular Road. North Belfast.  It was a new church then. Originally the old one was called Eken Hall  or Ekenhall, something like that I think. Eken Head even. It is still standing almost right across the road to the The Church.
Yer a wee doll Chris. Thanks so much.  Sooooooo Much. Val.
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 02 March 06 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Val

Can I stop banging my head looking for your Andrew ,can I look for your Hanna's now please.

What do you need?where shall I go ?

Steve

Steve, I love your attitude to things. You get a sore head looking for Andrew and disappear in search of Hanna's leaving me on my todd trying to find Taggarts.

Val, I am sure there is a black sheep somewhere in your family. http://www.glenravelonline.com/_downloads/glenravelonlinesite/Belfast_Timeline_1840s.pdf
In 1840 Samuel Taggart was committed to jail for trial at the next Quarter Sessions for an assault on Sarah McGeogh and Mary Ann Johnston and stealing 3s 6d. Reading this tonight makes me think of what you told me last night Valerie. Maybe the sum of money Samuel stole in 1840 was the equivalent of ....I think I have said enough :D

Have you a golfing member of the family living in the north of Ireland or is Nikki Taggart from the North Antrim Taggart family ??? http://www.irishsports.ie/dynamic/pub/Final%20Copy.pdf

Broken Links

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 02 March 06 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Nikki Taggart is my great niece. Her Dad is my nephew, and he is the same age as me so Nikki is more like an actual niece.  She is wonderful and is in North Carolina right now on a golf scholarship.
How did you find her then. Browsing the internet ?

As for Samuel. Please Please let him defiantly be one of ours.!!!!!!!!!!!!! But how to prove it is another question.

No, I have not forsaken you. I have a new puppy and what with training and painting the new renovation down stairs, I have not as much time.

Thanks so much though Chris for keeping going for me and making me come back everytime I loose interest.  Yer a good wee man.
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.