Author Topic: TAGGART/HANNA/  (Read 69093 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: TAGGART/HANNA/
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 January 06 09:27 GMT (UK) »
"Scotmum, that book you mentioned isn't Francis J. Montgomery's
"A short history of Second Donegore Presbyterian Church, 1788-1988" is it? 
"

No, Christopher, it is "Presbyterianism in Buckna 1756-1992 by Margaret E Millar, ISBN 09520909 0 2" which is now out of print. A number of copies are available for loan in some libraries throughout the province and sometimes second hand copies turn up for sale (a very helpful book dealer managed to secure me such a copy). Tamyneybrack (and its various spellings) was one of many small, rural townlands of the Braid valley, which surrounded the church, with the nearest large village being Broughshane and town being Ballymena.

Having looked again  at the timescale in question and seeing that he did not appear to be in the area in the earlier part of the period, I would be fairly confident that this is indeed the Andrew in question. As Val has the date/place of death for her Andrew, perhaps she also has the certificate which may give some further clues.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 January 06 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hei Scotmum,

How are you?

If the Central Library have Francis J. Montgomery's "A short history of Second Donegore Presbyterian Church, 1788-1988 in stock I will have a look at it later today. It may contain more about the Taggart family than the book you have as the Second Donegore is the Church the family attended. Are you on any of the Messenger systems with Voice facilities? I am sure Val would love the opportunity to chat with you.

I was having a Google hoping to find a Black Sheep for Val.
Yes Steve, Sheep not Slave. Don't think I have been lucky though. http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/antrim/john_nevin_letter.shtml

Best Wishes,

Chris

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 January 06 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

How would I go about buying.....begging... stealing........ or borrowing these books...... :'(

any ideas please

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 January 06 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hei Steve,

I think there are three books mentioned in the thread. I am not sure that you could join a Northern Ireland public library but you might be able to join the Linenhall Library as it is a private library with a membership subscription. If that is the case you could borrow the books. http://www.linenhall.com/Home/Membership/membership.htm Broken link

All the Best, Chris

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 January 06 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Chris

Think this is a place all us rellie hunters for Ireland need to go to at some point.

A place to visit  in our next visit (hope it is as good as Proni)

Think I would need to move back home to enjoy the treasures they have though......... can not see them posting me a book .....for me to post it back again :P

But I shall go through this lovely site and maybe joining can help, not only me ,but help them preserve more reading matter.

And maybe a wee call tomorrow might make thing clearer for me
Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 January 06 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hei Steve,

Have a look at this.  I quote from the information in the site and hope I am not breaking copyright laws by by quoting. You may be able to look at the books in the two libraries in England. Whether you could borrow them is a different matter.

Material published and distributed in the United Kingdom and in the Republic of Ireland must be deposited in the six legal libraries and archives.  This includes self-published books.

These six UK libraries are:

The British Library
The Bodleian Library, Oxford
The University Library, Cambridge
The National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
The Library of Trinity College, Dublin
The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth

www.writersservices.com/wps/s2_uk_legal_deposit.htm

All the Best,

Chris

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 January 06 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Chris

Probably cheaper to fly in and out in a day than travel to any of these......(would have to read quick)
I will ring them tomorrow to get the gist.
Ta
steve

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 January 06 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone, and good morning from a very sunny Calgary, Alberta. Canada.

Yes Chris, my ladies night turned out to be quite the evening. Ten bottles of wine later the craic was very good! 
Now, thank you each and every one for jumping on my band-wagon and helping me.  I am absolutely Gob-smacked at all the information you guys are pulling out of your hats.  Your are amazing! 
Can you tell me please , when you give me names as above, are these suggestions of people that might be connected or are they definitely connected.  sorry, but I really am a terrible green-horn at this. Plus I was born blond (but only I can say that :)
TAGGART/ HANNA  Donegore and Belfast Co. Antrim.
MAWHINNEY Co. Armagh and Whiteabbey.Co. Antrim
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: TAGGART/HANNA (Taggart thread)
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 January 06 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Val,

I do not recall who coined the phrase dumb blondes. Who ever it was had not had the pleasure of meeting you. There is no way you could be called dumb. Green horn I also doubt.

Regarding those names at the moment there are the Probables, Possibles and Impossibles. We have to work out who's wa who.  8)

You posted 31 entries here. Is there any information you need from these postings that should be on this thread? http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?forum=taggart&url=%2Ftaggart%2F&path=%2Ftaggart%2F&terms=Valerie+Poole&boolean=AND

Best Wishes, Chris