Author Topic: TAGGART/HANNA/  (Read 69120 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TAGGART/HANNA/
« Reply #162 on: Sunday 26 October 14 03:29 GMT (UK) »
More from Ancestry

There is a Greer public tree in Ancestry which belongs to the Mary Taggart & Israel Greer marriage in 1821. That Mary Taggart was the daughter of Andrew Taggart (1762-1849) and Sarah Wilson.

This may be the Andrew Taggart in the flax growers list. He could very well be a brother of William Taggart who was the father of the original Andrew, generation one in the original post

Andrew's son Andrew Taggart b1795 Donegore, married Agnes Montgomery.

LMGNZ

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Sunday 26 October 14 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Just restating the children of Andrew Taggart as now known.

1.  ANDREW1 TAGGART was born in Donegore, Antrim, and died March 11, 1886 in TamneyBreak. [sic. Tawnybrack] Co. Antrim. He married MARY SHANNON – record not yet found.

Children of ANDREW TAGGART and MARY SHANNON , baptized 1st Donegore Pres Ch., are:
2.   i.   WILLIAM TAGGART, b. September 20, 1821, Ballynoe. Co. Antrim
    ii.   ROBERT TAGGART,   b. November 12, 1824, Hungry Hall, Co. Antrim.;
            m. JANE MCBRIDE, March 03, 1847; b. Hungry Hall..
                 iii.    ANDREW TAGGART,  b. August 10, 1827,   Drumagargan [sic. Drumagorgan];
   iv.     JOSEPH2 TAGGART,    b. January 08, 1833,   Donegore. Co. Antrim Northern Ireland..
   v.   MARY TAGGART,      b. December 26, 1835, Donegore. Co. Antrim.

NEW: James Taggart, 21 Jul 1841, Tobergill,

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Sunday 26 October 14 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Soemhow this post got cut off in the middle so to continue with children of Andrew:

NEW: vii James Taggart, born 21 Jul 1841, Tobergill, bapt 4 Aug 1841, 1st Donegore. baptism notes he was son of Mary Shannon.

David, Isabella and Ann Jane, probably born between Mary in 1835 and James in 1841, as they are named as children of Andrew's first marriage.  Possibly also Christopher.

Mary Taggart nee Shannon presumably died between 1841 and 1854.

1854 Andrew married  Isabella Hamilton, daughter of Hill Hamilton.

? Hill Taggart born soon after 1851 as he was married and had a son Andrew by 1886.

Offline Rosniak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Monday 27 October 14 22:28 GMT (UK) »
There are a lot of trees on Ancestry for the Taggarts of Donegore that show totally different people as descendants of the same families, some of them seem full of guesswork!

You mentioned Mary, daughter of Andrew Taggart as being the one who married Israel Greer.
Another possibility is that the Mary in question was my 2xgreat grandmother who married William McDowell in Antrim in 1826. As her second born son was called Andrew, the traditional naming pattern would indicate her father's name was Andrew and she was definately part of the Donegore connection as that was their burial place. No tree on Ancestry seems to be aware of her existence.

One tree on Ancestry has Mary, daughter of Andrew Taggart and Sarah Wilson as dying in 1837 in County Antrim before the rest of the family emigrated. That would fit in perfectly with my Mary McDowell as her last known child was born in 1836.

I can't categorically say which Mary was which but there does seem to be a few Andrew Taggarts around at that time in the same vicinity.

I'm hoping a DNA match might uncover which Taggart family is indeed mine.

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 06:01 GMT (UK) »
For health reasons I am no longer to able to figure out where findings fit in ,y past research. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to take my tree which is pretty good so far and fill in the gaps from the research findings on this forum. I know a few of you have very kindly submitted findings which I know are related to my Taggart tree, but my concentration now is such that I can not work out who fits in where.
Any offer of help would be greatly appreciated. Valerie.
TAGGART/ HANNA  Donegore and Belfast Co. Antrim.
MAWHINNEY Co. Armagh and Whiteabbey.Co. Antrim
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosniak and Val,

Val I am sorry to hear you have health problems. I do not have any Taggarts in my tree just one person with Taggart as a second name, so I should not be the one to take over.

Yes Rosniak, I did have my doubts about some of the entries on Ancestry. For one, there is a tree where the Robert who inherited the farm from Andrew (see the 1886 will) had emigrated to the USA and died in 1870, 16 years before his father.

It was the Greer family tree that claimed the Mary Taggart who married Israel Greer. I have that 1821 Greer/Taggart marriage from a source outside Ancestry so I do believe this Mary married a Greer. In the Greer tree she is the daughter of an Andrew Taggart and Sarah Wilson. That information does not come from the  1st Donegore marriage as it does not name her father but Francis Taggart of Ballynoe and James Charters of Donegore were witnesses.  I think Val has more information on Francis than has appeared in this thread. Certainly if Mary who married in 1821 was the dau of Andrew and Sarah, then from memory she was close to 40 when she married.

One thing I did note was that none of the trees in Ancestry seemed to have Vals Andrew's second marriage to Isabella Hamilton. That marriage entry gives Andrew's father as William which appears to be new information to most trees.

If anyone does take over from Val, then perhaps they need to start new thread as this one is so long it is hard to keep track. Which is why I tried to restate the family of Andrew as now known.

There was a professional researcher earlier in this thread who was researching Taggart. Maybe she is still watching. ;)

Cheers

Linda

Offline dmbostwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Thursday 30 October 14 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if Mary Ann Taggart who lists father as Francis Taggart is connected to anyone else but thought I'd post what I've found just in case it helps. I've found Birth record for a Francis Taggart on Oct 13, 1797. Record from Shankill St Anne's in Co. Antrim. This birth record lists Francis' parents as Francis and Eliza. Dates can fit for Mary Ann as she was born approx 1821-4 and Antrim so close to Armagh. All the posts are helping me out so I am incredibly thankful to all who are posting.
Vennard/Venard- Armagh, N Ireland; Glasgow & Lanarkshire, Scotland
Taggart/Wright,Ann -of Armagh, N Ireland; Glasgow & Lanarkshire
Hutchison/Hutcheson-of Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire
Frame/Dun/Weir/Morton/Bryson/Dickson-of Lanarkshire
Burbidge/Lush/Screen/Norris/Piercy/Creed of Wiltshire

Offline dmbostwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Monday 03 November 14 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I believe I've found my Mary Ann Taggart living in Finiston/Stobcross Street area Parish of Barony on 1841 Scottish census. Census lists Widow Taggart, 40 yrs; Hellen Taggart, 15 yrs Power Loom Weaver; Mary Ann Taggart, 12 yrs Power Loom Weaver; Isabella Taggart, 9 yrs; Sarah Taggart, 7 yrs. Widow, Hellen and Mary Ann all indicated to be born in Ireland while Isabella & Sarah born outside of Scotland for census purpose. I believe this is same Mary Ann Taggart family due to naming standards, occupation in weaving, location as future generations born nearby & Mary Ann moved back to same area sometime between 1853 & 1881. If I am correct, this means Francis Taggart had died before 1841 census. The ages of all are likely inaccurate because everyone over 15 was rounded down to nearest age in multiples of 5. So based on this, I am assuming that Mary Ann had sisters Hellen, Isabella and Sarah. I wonder if anyone has these names in their trees?
Vennard/Venard- Armagh, N Ireland; Glasgow & Lanarkshire, Scotland
Taggart/Wright,Ann -of Armagh, N Ireland; Glasgow & Lanarkshire
Hutchison/Hutcheson-of Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire
Frame/Dun/Weir/Morton/Bryson/Dickson-of Lanarkshire
Burbidge/Lush/Screen/Norris/Piercy/Creed of Wiltshire

Offline Rosniak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I have now got a DNA match which would suggest that my Mary Taggart (who married William McDowell) is indeed the child of Andrew Taggart and Sarah Wilson. In order to be totally sure of this it would be great to hear if any other descendants of this family have tested. If anyone has taken a test please feel free to send me a private message and we can compare results.

Thanks!