Author Topic: Gervas Shaw - Redford  (Read 14845 times)

Offline abcdef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gervas Shaw - Redford
« on: Wednesday 19 January 05 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Gervas married Ann Singlehurst - looking for Anne's relatives on the Holleworth side.  Her mother was Caroline Holleworth and her father was Charles Singlehurst.  Any help with the Holleworth side would be greatful.
Sorry if doing this wrong first time on the site.  Thanks.

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gervas Shaw - Redford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 21:45 GMT (UK) »
You have done the right thing posting on this board, but could you include some dates ?
The more information you supply the easier it is for us to help you  :)

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline abcdef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Gervas Shaw b 1841 East Retford
Ann Singlehurst b 1843 Workshop
Married 12 February 1866 East Retford

Their son Job Conworth Shaw b 1881 is my great grandfather. 

Caroline Holleworth (Ann's mother) born abt 1820 Yorkshire married Charles Singlehurst 1842 Sheffield.  Caroline's father may be Samuel Holleworth married Elizabeth Turner Yorkshire 1816.  No other info available so am trying to figure out if the Holleworth's are english or american.  My great aunt who is still alive (93years) has always said we have american indian in us.  Thanks for help new at this (have done 8 families but 2 seem to not want to be found). 

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 January 05 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Found them in 1871;
3453 71

Gervas  Shaw  H  29  Labourer
Ann  Shaw  W  28  Labourers wife
William  Shaw  S  6
Harriet  Shaw  D  4
Caroline  Shaw  S  1

Perhaps not what you want but haven't been able to find any earlier yet.

If you want the image send me a Personal Message with your e-mail address in it.

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline abcdef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 January 05 04:21 GMT (UK) »
William Shaw m Harriott Golland 1823 Nottingham - would anyone know all of their children.  Their son Gervas b 1841 m Ann Singlehurst in Retford 1866.  Gervas is my gg grandfather.

I have no idea want census dates to look at.  Hopefully a laurap120 will read this.  thanks

Offline Alwynne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hello, abcdef!
I read your message about Job Conworth Shaw with interest, as I have been trying to contact anyone connected with him for some time.
I am a Conworth descendent, and Job Conworth was one of my family. There were several Job Conworths, all from the same family, but one of them and his son - also called Job - lived in East Retford, Notts, and Ulley, Yorks.
My question is do you know if the Shaw family were connected to the Conworths, or was it a case of Job Conworth Shaw possibly being named after his godfather, or a friend?
I know that Job Conworth Shaw came to Australia, which is also where I am.
Cheers,
Alwynne

Offline abcdef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 May 06 08:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry I haven't come across any Conworth in the Shaw side but that's not to say there wasn't a marriage somewhere or a cousin.  It is funny that your side are from the same area so maybe there is a marriage somewhere.  Good luck hope you find something.

Offline Alwynne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 May 06 05:37 BST (UK) »
My thanks for that.
I do know that both Job Sr and Jr were godfathers to the sons of people in the district. One, for example, was the family Chambers, a family of architects. It may be that Job Conworth had some connection with the Shaw family in East Retford, and was asked to be a godfather. There were certainly Shaws in Ulley, Yorks, where the Conworths had a country property.
That being said, god children don't usually take the whole name of a god parent. In the Chambers case, Job was just included as a second christian name. To take the whole name suggests a pretty close connection.
As far as I can tell, there were no other conworths in Notts., the rest of the family being mainly in Northants and adjacent counties. All the conworths I have found (it's a surprisingly rare name) have been part of the same family. You can see my Conworth website at

www.tribalpages.com/tribes/conworth

Does the name Conworth appear in any other later relatives?
Cheers,
Alwynne

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 May 06 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi abcdef

Baptisms ERE (East Retford) to William and Harriott/Harriett SHAW (May or may not be same woman so I have included address and occupation of father)

1.3.1824         Henry      The Carr         Hawker       ( mother Harriet)

23.1.1826       Harriett   Suttons Row   Labourer    ( mother Harriett)

23.7.1828      George    Suttons Row   Brush-head turner    ( mother Harriott)

4.9.1829        William     Suttons Row   Labourer    ( mother Harriett)

9.10.1829       Betsey    Carolgate        Brush-head turner    ( mother Harriott)

13.8.1834       Jane        Suttons Row    Boatman      ( mother Harriett)

15 12 1836     John        The Car           Boatman      ( mother Harriett)

8.5.1839         George    Suttons Row   Boatman       ( mother Harriett)

3 10 1841        Gervas    Suttons Row   Boatman       ( mother Harriet)

5 1 1845         Edward    Suttons Row   Boatman       ( mother Harriett)

23 1 1847       Samuel     The Wharf      Boatman         ( mother Harriet)

23 1 1847        Joseph    The Wharf      Boatman         ( mother Harriet)

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk