Author Topic: Gwythers of Narberth  (Read 2132 times)

Offline eaw52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gwythers of Narberth
« on: Wednesday 28 May 08 10:29 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on William Gwyther  and his family of Narberth. He was a cordwainer and lived in Spring Gardens. His first wife was Sophia Evans. She died 1840 after the birth of their third child Peregrine. Their first two children were Margaret born 1836 and Mary born 1838. He then married Mary Evan from Llandewi Velfrey and they had William 1843, Sarah 1844, Sophia 1847, Ellenor 1850 and John 1860. I believe Peregrine married Eliza Ann Phillips in 1864 in Narberth. Sarah married Thomas Jenkins in 1868 and Ellenor married John Childs in 1869. I have census records and birth and marriage details but was wondering who William may have worked for in Narberth as a cordwainer as I can't find any record of him in business for himself. I am also looking for a connection for Sophia and Mary (with similar surnames), as William's mother-in-law lived with him for several censuses even afte rhis marriage to Mary. Makes me think they may have been sisters. But can't confirm. I also believe William came from either Manorbier, Pembroke or Tenby. Have found a similar family (naming system) in Tenby and Pembroke. the info I have is that James Gwyther married Mary John on 20 Oct 1812 at St Marys Tenby. Their first child thomas John was bapt there on 25 Aug 1813. George was bapt 31 July 1815 in St Marys pembroke, William bapt 28 May 1817 St Marys Pembroke, James bapt 25 April 1819 St Marys Pembroke, and Mary bapt 8 Sept 1820 St Marys Pembroke. They were living at the Commons St Marys Pembroke.
William married both Sophia in Narberth and Mary in Llandewi Velfrey.
Any help would be great. Thanks eaw52