Author Topic: Matthew ARMSTRONG Durham Light Infantry  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Noreen Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew ARMSTRONG Durham Light Infantry
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 June 08 12:45 BST (UK) »
I have purchased my gt Uncle Mathew ARMSTRONG's record from the National Archives and now waiting impatiently, for the details to arrive. 

I am now trying to find his brother Edward ARMSTRONG who I believe was in the Coldstream Guards.   He is not on the absent voters list for Trimdon.  I have had a reply from a letter I wrote to the Regimental Headquarters, Coldstream Guards, London, and a form to fill in. 

There is someone on Genes Reunited who has similar names to mine and  I have emailed both several days ago with no reply. I am looking for 'next of kin'.  Would that be myself if I am unable to find them?

I have found 2 Medal Cards for Edward ARMSTRONG Privates in the Coldstream Guards should I purchase both to discover if either of them are from Durham? Or fill in the form giving both service numbers? 

Noreen
York

Noreen
York uk

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 June 08 13:08 BST (UK) »
721O Edward Armstrong was discharged in 1918 with a SWB also he is given as served Irish Guards
The other Edward Armstrong Coldstreamers was entitled to a British War and Victory Medal so didnt go overseas til 1916.There is no other info on the card.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Noreen Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 June 08 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Ady, that is very helpful, I am a bit of a novice with anything to do with the Army in the first place! 

I'm better with the RAF as my father, brother, husband and son have all served in the Air Force clocking up over 70 years between them!

Thank you again
Noreen
York
Noreen
York uk

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 June 08 15:28 BST (UK) »
Noreen ive just asked for help off a CG expert see if he has anymore info hes helped me on my CG research before let you know if he comes up with anything.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Noreen Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 June 08 16:24 BST (UK) »
Ady

I wrote to the Regimental Headquarters of the Coldstream Guards in London and have received a form to complete and return, that is why I asked for help here. 

It seems to me that the right Edward is the second one Number 18817.  As my Edward has Scottish Roots from the Isle of Mull, then Northumberland to Durham. 

I have my cheque written out to send but the Form presented a few problems, I will wait until I hear from you again before I post it.  I have completed most of it.

You are all so very helpful.

Noreen

Noreen
York uk

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 June 08 17:03 BST (UK) »
Noreen
Id send it off as the records are really good ive just had a search of similar numbers and found 43 casualties all between Dec 1916 and Nov 1918 so it looks as though he would have been conscripted late 1916 i think all my contact would have is a likely enlistment date which you will get from his Service Record The Medal Roll at Kew will probably have his date of enlistment discharge and Battalion but his SR will also have them on.

If you need anything decyphering from "army speak" when you get it ask the questions on here im sure youll get a good response.(at least your a lucky one and his SR survived :D)

Good luck

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline Noreen Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 June 08 11:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the help.

I have just found Mathew ARMSTRONG's daughter on Genes Reunited.  I have asked her to contact me on my email address.

Noreen
Noreen
York uk

Offline Paul_a38

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 April 21 15:40 BST (UK) »
Bit late to this but this would be my grandfather, married Annie Horran if I remember correctly. Trimdon Grange/Station.