Author Topic: Looking for SMITH family - Gypsy's ??  (Read 72751 times)

Offline Layla Ozdemir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for SMITH family - Gypsy's ??
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Burto, i have many of those names , my mother was Jannette Carrie Rockley, my family names are ...

Smith (39)
Brown (28)
Johnson (17)
Williams (17)
Jones (16)
Taylor (15)
Lewis (13)
Martin (13)
Wilson (13)
Clark (12)
Davis (12)
Green (12)
Anderson (11)
Carter (10)
Evans (10)
Scott (10)
Wright (10)
King (9)
Miller (9)
Price (9)

guess we are related , you got your dna done ?

Swift , Matthews, Price , Clarke , Rockley, Dewey, Turton, Wild, Nottingham
Aldread, Brentnall, Cowlishaw Derbyshire
Elliot, The Borders/Nottingham FWK industry
Hartopp, NW Leicester (Barkby and surrounds).
Smith Bilston Staffordshire
Bennett, Calary? Ireland
Johnson, USA

Offline Johnrom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: my family smiths and my DNA Black patch, Sentenia and esau
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone who wants to know more about my 4th Greats Sentenia and Esau Smith. I have got the family tree done and anyone who wants any help please contact. My DNA was H1A PLUS, which means that my family came from southern Asia, Sentenia and Esau was cousins. Esau parents was Nehemiah and Rhoda Boswell. Sentenia parents was Woodfine smith and Sarah Boswell, sister to Rhoda. My Romany route is amazing on my tree, as my greats both romany great grandfather is from the Thomas Smith And Sarah Smith who is vagrants from North Marsden who sons are jasper Smith moses Smith ect. Would like to know if anyone is the same match to me on my DNA, and wants anyhelp with the tree If the same as mine.
Steve :)

Offline Johnrom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve could i have your Email if possible please or i can give you mine if not i understand my mum was a double Smith and my dad is half Romany

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 17 December 18 10:19 GMT (UK) »
My Greatgrandmother was MARTHA SMITH (born abt 1872) and came from a clan of Gypsy's named SMITH who lived in the Nottinghamshire or Staffordshire area.  They were headed by ESAU and HENTY SMITH who may have been her parents or grandparents.  The group were about 50 in number and owned their own land.  Does anyone recognise this family?

I might just add this couple as they are Smiths from Staffordshire?

Joseph Esau Smith of the Romany encampment Chase Terrace died 1925 buried Wilnecote cemetery, Staffordshire and possibly his wife Harriet Smith (wife od Esau Smith, a travelling hawker) who died 12th Octber 1907 also buried at Wilnecote cemetey, Staffordshire.

Chase Terrace is an area in the town of Burntwood in Staffordshire, England.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Richsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 04 February 19 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve could i have your Email if possible please or i can give you mine if not i understand my mum was a double Smith and my dad is half Romany

Hello everyone, Esau & Sentinia are my  great great grand parents, my line is through May (Sarah May) lots of mystery about who my nan's father was, she was Alma Sophia and her step father was George Hambleton. She took on the name but he wasn't her biological father.

I have so many smiths, Boswells and love ridges in my family it makes my head spin!!!!
Smith, Richardson, Loveridge, Boswell, Hambleton, Badger

Offline Richsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 09:27 GMT (UK) »
My Greatgrandmother was MARTHA SMITH (born abt 1872) and came from a clan of Gypsy's named SMITH who lived in the Nottinghamshire or Staffordshire area.  They were headed by ESAU and HENTY SMITH who may have been her parents or grandparents.  The group were about 50 in number and owned their own land.  Does anyone recognise this family?

Yes, I recognise them, Henty & Esau are my great great great grandparents through their granddaughter May (Sarah May)

I’ve been searching for my nan’s father for years, it’s a family secret... her step father is George Hambleton but her real father is a mystery. I wonder if anyone here knows???
Smith, Richardson, Loveridge, Boswell, Hambleton, Badger

Offline Gary1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 19 May 19 22:28 BST (UK) »
Just found this site.
I have been brought up to believe that my Great,great grandmother was the last of the gypsy queens. She left the Romany to "live under brick" and in order to preserve her line she commissioned a plate with her  maiden name "Martha Smith" which is handed down to the eldest daughter, My mother was born in 1921 and it makes my great great grandmother about the 1870's.
My parents are from south Yorkshire and by coincidence I now live in that region and am a little confused as I have discovered a grave in a church in Beighton which says this is the grave of the last gypsy queen Lucretia Smith?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 18 August 19 17:23 BST (UK) »
We do not have any Gypsy kings or queens.That is just a myth to maybe recieve better treatment form non gypsy folk.We do however respect our Elders male and female and they take a important part in our communities.Re \lucretia Smith a did a lot of research on her a while back and it was endorsed by robert dawson.I will see if i can find it tomorrow and post it here.
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country