Author Topic: Looking for SMITH family - Gypsy's ??  (Read 72800 times)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for SMITH family - Gypsy's ??
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 18 August 19 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi CathB,

its a long time since we wrote , i hope you are well, looking forwards to reading your research

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 20:47 BST (UK) »
Gary 1959....LUCRETIA SMITH AND NEICE MATILDA BOSWELL

The claim that they were mother and daughter doesn't appear in the parish register entry for the burials, or on the gravestone. It comes sixty five years later in the 1909 book of gravestone monuments 'Epitaphia' and I think is either the author drawing his own conclusion from the stone or reporting stories that had grown up in the village. I don't think too much store can be put on those, as Lucretia is also supposed to haunt the graveyard!I think they were actually niece and aunt, though possibly if Matilda was in a relationship with one of her cousins, Lucretia may have been mother in law too. Neither died at Beighton, Matilda died in Lythe, Yorkshire, 110 miles away and Lucretia at Halton, Cheshire, 70 miles away, so both were transported some distance to be buried there, why I'm not sure.These are Lucretia's children:Hannah Smith, daughter of Josiah Smith and Lucretia, baptised at Cadeby, Leicestershire on 21st December 1802.Phenix Smith, son of Josiah Smith and Lucretia, baptised at Thurnby, Leicestershire on 3rd August 1806Josiah Smith, son of Josiah Smith and Lucretia, baptised at Saltby, Leicestershire on 2nd April 1809.Senah Smith, daughter of Josiah Smith and Lucretia, baptised at Market Overton, Rutland, on 9th May 1811.Jenny daughter of Josiah Smith 'Gipsy' and Lucretia , no settled abode, baptised at Long Stratton, Norfolk on 27th March 1814.Rhoda Smith, daughter of Josiah Smith 'tinker' and Lucretia Gipsies no settled abode, born 4th November, baptised at Baytham, Suffolk 17th November 1816.Sarah Smith, daughter of Josiah Smith and Lucretia, baptised at Monks Kirby, Warwickshire on 6th February 1820.These make it unlikely the age on her burial is correct. I think she is actually Lucy Boswell, daughter of Robert Boswell and Lucy, baptised 20th December 1780 at Thornage, Norfolk. Robert Boswell was born circa 1735 in Wiltshire and buried at Loders, Dorset in January 1806 (according to Frances Hindes Groomes 1880 book In Gipsy Tents a monument was put up there on his grave to the 'King of the Gypsies'). Robert's wife appears on all other records as Lucretia/Lucresey and they had been together since about 1760. He was polygamous and had taken on a second, much younger partner, Mary/Ann around 1776 and travelled with both women. In January of the same year Lucy/Lucretia was baptised, Mary/Ann baptised a son with Robert, Edward Boswell at Kilmington, Somerset, he was Matilda's father and was also buried as a 'King of the Gypsies' in the 1850's in Devon.
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline rustyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 08 April 21 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Is this still active?

My great grand mother was Adelaide Hall and I believe she was part of Easu and Sentenia's clan. From the 1901 census of John and Caroline Smith (John is Easu and Sentys son), Adeliade was their grand daughter.

How ever I am really struggling to find who her parents were and was wondering if any one had any information?

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 08 April 21 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, is it johns parents you’re looking for..  if so do you have any dates for him, where are they encamped in 1901? 

I can have a look about tomorrow.
Kazi
Smith, Plumb, Booth, Slater, Purdy, Clayton, Loveridge
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline rustyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 09 April 21 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply

Its actually Adelaide Hall (born 1900) parents I am trying to work out, but its prooving very difficult

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 10 April 21 06:28 BST (UK) »
Do you have the place you think Adelaide was born. Or know any siblings or parents names?  Ant info you have would help and I’ll have a look. Kazi
Smith, Plumb, Booth, Slater, Purdy, Clayton, Loveridge
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 10 April 21 16:58 BST (UK) »
long post about Adelaide & family here

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=847168.0

We're pretty sure mother has been identified, but no birth reg or baptism as yet.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Gary1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 15 August 21 19:33 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother was Martha smith, i believe last of the gypsy queens out here in south yorkshire who left to marry under brick but I have the plate she bequeathed to eldest daughter with her name on

Offline SophiaL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 03 April 22 00:56 BST (UK) »
Smith's in Nottinghamshire on my mother's side...occupation on census docs of several male family members is 'Tinsmith'. Has anyone got further info on where I can find family trees /records for the Nottinghamshire Smith's please, so I can try and find out if there's a link? Thanks.