Author Topic: COMPLETE How do I make connection with Ancestry member??  (Read 1666 times)

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETE How do I make connection with Ancestry member??
« on: Friday 30 May 08 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am not an Ancestry member & would like to make a connection with 2 Ancestry members who are tracing the same family as myself,one has a public member tree the other a personal member tree,when pressing the make connection I am taken to a page for signing up with Ancestry,not what I want to do.
What am I doing wrong or is it not possible to make a connection without being an Ancestry member. all help to explain appreciated.
Fiona

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make connection with Ancestry member??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 May 08 17:31 BST (UK) »
It is not possible to connect without being a member. That's why you can see the info - so you can decide to join!  ;)

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 May 08 18:10 BST (UK) »

you can look at their contact details if you use something like ancestry library edition.
(free at several public libraries)

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 May 08 18:22 BST (UK) »
I have a subscription, saw two people on there with trees which overlap mine in some way, sent them both a message, than another, then a third, and ......

nothing.

:(

(to be honest, I dont actually know how I'd get a reply - would I get an email notification, or something popping up on the screen next time I was on Ancestry?)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 May 08 18:27 BST (UK) »
I have had several people contact me through Ancestry - you get an email notification from Ancestry which includes the message from the other member - then you reply via same email and it's up to you whether you exchange email addresses or not.  I have made some useful contacts via Ancestry - and anybody I have contacted has replied - maybe I've just been lucky?

Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 May 08 19:04 BST (UK) »
many thanks for all replies and explanations.
Fiona

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETE How do I make connection with Ancestry member??
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 May 08 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi  Fiona

World Trees and Family trees are not included on Ancestry Library Edition  :(

The site is really good for all the databases though.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 May 08 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi  Fiona

World Trees and Family trees are not included on Ancestry Library Edition  :(
Dawn

It was earlier today. I double-checked.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 May 08 23:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pauline, they've changed their site  :)

I queried the differences last November and this was their reply

User Experience
Ancestry.com is designed for the individual so there is a lot of personalized functionality and there are personalized options available to individual subscribers that aren’t available on our institutional sites. The following is a list of the major features and functionality that Ancestry.com subscribers have available that are not included in the institutional versions of Ancestry:

My Ancestry
The MyAncestry section of the site allows you to save the names and vital information of people you are looking for in your family tree in Personal and Public Member Trees. The website will initiate a perpetual search of Ancestry.com’s databases. This is not only great for the search capability, but also can be used as a research log of sorts to monitor the ancestors you have found on the site.

Ancestry Community
Browse or search millions of messages on thousands of surname, locality and topic-centric boards to connect and learn from long lost relatives and newfound friends. Use the “Member Directory” to search for other members of the Ancestry community who have common family history interests.

Learning Center
Search the best collection of family history how-to and genealogy learning materials on the Internet. Browse or search archives of Ancestry Magazine, the Ancestry Daily News, and popular Ancestry.com online columnists.
Store Buy your favorite Ancestry and other genealogical publisher’s books, magazines and CDs--including Ancestry’s The Source, Redbook, Printed Sources and more!

OneWorldTree
OneWorldTree gathers family trees and family history records for millions of people, analyzes the birth, death and marriage data and then displays the most probable matches.

Family Trees:
This section of the site has many great ways to share and manage all the great information you fi nd at Ancestry.com. Newly added is the ability to upload photos, documents and add stories about ancestors in the Personal and Public

Member Trees.
Family Trees Search Tab
This is an additional tab that allows one to search the family trees on Ancestry.

Additionally, there are certain databases/collections that are available on Ancestry.com, that are NOT available on Ancestry Library Edition:
Historical Newspaper Collection
Family and Local History Collection
Obituary Collection
Periodical Source Index (PERSI)
Filby’s Passenger and Immigration Lists Index (PILI)
Biography & Genealogy Master Index (BGMI)
Freedman’s Bank Records

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea