Author Topic: Mill Lodgekeeper & Police Turnkey  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mill Lodgekeeper & Police Turnkey
« on: Thursday 20 January 05 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I would be grateful if anyone can help me with the following.  (I have also posted this on the Occupations board, but it is a bit Dundee-orientated.)

The duties of a Mill Lodgekeeper in C19th Scotland, specifically a Jute Mill in Dundee.    :-\

Also, I have an ancestor who was a Police Office Keeper, or Turnkey in early C19th in Scotland.  He is noted as Turnkey/Ag Lab in the 1841 census.  I know all about Ag Labs but would be interested in any info on the former.  Were these members of the public who just locked up the cells and made sure the prisoners had something to eat?  Although he appears to have lived at the police station (according to the census) he is not an actual policeman/constable.  As he was in his 60s in the census, I am assuming he worked as an Agricultural labourer most of his life until this type of job became too arduous and he moved into town and became the Turnkey.  The mills started to boom early C19th in Dundee and a lot of people from the country moved into town.  Also, I know the first proper prison was built in Dundee in 1837.  Can anyone give me any info on this role in early C19th Scotland?   ???

Thank you for your help
Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland