Author Topic: Gunter Family  (Read 60540 times)

Offline marciegunter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gunter Family
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 January 10 22:12 GMT (UK) »
My Brecon Gunter is Charles....JOHN GUNTER b. 1624 in Henrico, Va, he was the son of Charles b.1642 Kintbury and Alice Kebblewhite b.1626. I have a documented line. Yes, Im in the US. There are 3 Johns before James Gunter. I do not use information that I dont document. ;)

Offline cripesamighty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 January 10 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marcie,

I believe John DID emigrate to the US....BUT...wheres the written proof?.

Thing is..... I have corrisponed with a number of US folks with claims of links to John Gunter of Kintbury....but....none of them have written proof.
There appears to be no written documents stated John's emigration. None of them have show me proof of Johns trip to the US.

But as I say...I believe he did...dispite the lack of proof...but I would love for it to be proved by some kind of evidence. Just to be 100% sure.

I would love there to be a link....the Gunter's in the US have a very interesting history...as do the Gunter's here in the UK. With many interesting characters.

I have tried to get copies of the books "Gunters Along the Edisto" & "More Gunters Along the Edisto"...by H.F Buff ?. But they appear to be like gold dust.

One way to prove the link would be by DNA....but getting folks to part with the money for such things is not easy. And getting the right people.....male folks with the Gunter surname with lines to John...Then crossed referenced with those in the US.

I know there are a number of Studies underway....but has any of them made the link?.
Not that I know of...because of the lack of DNA donners in the UK.

I unfortunately do not carry the Gunter name..my link comes via my great grandmother on my mothers side....which makes me unsuitable for testing. Though I would like to take a test just for my own interest. And to see who else I might be related to.

May I ask where did you get the proof of your link to John.? I know a number of US Gunter's will not be convinced of the link without proof..even the most ardent genealogist..

As I say..I believe he did...even without proof...but some won't converse without pieces of paper.

The reason being...I am sure I read somewhere about John being involved with the tabacco/slave trade's...But for the life of me..I don't recall where!!!...very frustrating.

Regards
Paul

Offline marciegunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 11 January 10 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Being female kncoks me out of the testing and cant find anyone in the family other than myself or children who would...all female. My Charles was the immigrant...Not John!

Offline cripesamighty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 11 January 10 08:42 GMT (UK) »
So....your saying Charles c1562.... son of John Gunter & Alice Keeblewhite..is your immigrant?

I was told there were possbily earlier immigrant's than John....but not his grandfather.
But again..no-one has evidence....not that I have seen.

So.....if Johns grandfather emigrated...how come his children and grandson where born in the UK?

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi cripes,

sorry I am a bit late with my reply. Yes I would like to get past John born 1806 in Cantref.

Regards Peonie

Offline gunterl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 00:18 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for an update on John Gunter coming to the US if anybody has it.  cripesamighty says he came to Virginia in 1644 but I have a passenger list of him coming to Maryland in 1649.

Offline Miss Jones

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 31 July 10 14:28 BST (UK) »
Recently I was looking for a photo of Tregunter House and came across the one from Greensleeves (thank you). Since then someone told me about another website and I found 3 more photos. Unfortunately they are no use to me but I thought they might be useful to others.

http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/16296/images/TREGUNTER/

Tregunter farm is still there and also a place called ‘The Lodge’ nearby. My father said there were walled gardens which belonged to the big house. You can still see them on google streetview and satellite. According to the above site the house was pulled down in 1924. I don’t know why as it is open countryside with no new roads or buildings. I can’t see any trace of the house and I think most people would not know that it was ever there.

Offline spec

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 31 July 10 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Miss Jones
Many thanks for your post
Very interesting it is
i shall look into the info you have passed on
Many thanks    Regards spec

Offline calvingunter

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 04:21 BST (UK) »
gunterl,

Could you direct me to the passage documentation of John Gunter in 1649.  That may be the documentation that some are talking about.

I'm a Gunter from Texas, back to Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia and I assume back to Wales.

Lots of good stories in the family line.  Many of us are intertwined with the Cherokee nation.  I trace back to Augustus Gunter, who was a brother of the John Gunter that married the daughter of Chief Bushyhead.

Thanks for any help.  FYI... if you need DNA evidence from the US for anything let me know.  I trace back all along the male line.