Author Topic: CUMBERNAULD MIs  (Read 2680 times)

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CUMBERNAULD MIs
« on: Saturday 31 May 08 21:25 BST (UK) »

Hi, I'm looking for the burial place of my GGGrandfather JOHN HODGE. He died in Cumbernauld in 1891 aged 86yrs. Also his daughter CHRISTIAN GAFF died Cumbernauld 1897 aged 55yrs. The family came from St Ninians in Stirling and John's wife Margret Mitchell died there in 1877 but I think it unlikely that John would be taken back there for burial.

Thanks     Val

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine o'n dh'thainic
    • View Profile
Re: CUMBERNAULD MIs
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 08 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've had a look in the Cumbernauld Parish Churchyard MI booklet, and unfortunately there are no HODGEs or GAFFs listed, sorry.

I'm not sure at what date the parish churchyard ceased to be used; later burials are in the cemetery which is next to the churchyard, but I'm afraid I don't have any information on MIs there.

Good luck with your search,
Janet
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline AdrianBurns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CUMBERNAULD MIs Lookup for BURNS and BURNISTON please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 October 08 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet

I would be very thankful if you were able to check your sources for Cumbernauld MIs for the surnames of Burns and Burniston and variants Burnes, Burnis, Burniston, Burneston, Burnistone.

My ancestors David Burniston and Mary Ramsay came to Cumbernald from Ireland in the late 1840s and proceeded to Deerdyke, Kirkintilloch (where the big Irn Bru factory currently stands) in the early 1850s. David died before 1861 and I can't find any record of his death. Mary died in 1891 at Greenyards Row, Cumbernauld. Their children were William, Martha, Jane, John, Eliza, Betsey, Mary, Samuel (buried Mollinsburn) and David.

The family progressively changed their name to the local "Burns" sometime during the late 1850s/early 1860s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine o'n dh'thainic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 October 08 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian,

The only Burns listed is S. Burns died 29th October 1851; this is on a tombstone which also bears an inscription to R. Marshall died 1st April 1850.  I don't see any names under the other spellings you have.

These MIs are for the parish churchyard; I'm not sure when this went out of use and people began to be buried in the adjoining cemetery. I'm afraid I don't have any information for the larger cemetery.

Good luck with your search,
Janet
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline AdrianBurns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 October 08 14:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Janet,
Adrian.