Author Topic: 1841 Census Look-up please / marriage - Robert Rix (Rex) COMPLETED  (Read 6180 times)

Offline SC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to find a Robert Rix (Rex) and wife Sarah in 1841 probably somewhere in Hereford
I believe Robert was born out of the county, poss about 1796
There would be at least two children, an Emma born about 1832 and Charles about 1835

I have not yet found a marriage for these two and I do not know where Sarah was born
Her place of birth is given as --p-thyde on the 1851 Herefordshire census (cannot find a place name that fits)
Sarah is a widow in 1851 in St Peter, Hereford, age 59, with Emma 18 and Charles 15
There is a possible death for Robert in 1848 so his place of birth cannot be established

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
SC

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Look-up please / marriage - Robert Rix (Rex)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 June 08 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hello SC

indexed under Rose but Rix on image

1841  HO107/433/8/  Folio  11  Page  9
Union Street, St Peter, Hereford

Robert Rix  45   Milk Man
Sarah     "   45
George   "   12
Emma     "     8
Charles   "    3
all born in the county

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 June 08 01:23 BST (UK) »
In 1861 census Sarah's place of birth is given as Lyde, could it be Pipe & Lyde in 1851?  ~  see genuki http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HEF/PipeLyde/index.html

1861 details if you'd like them ~ Sarah is with daughter Emma and her husband

marriage from freebmd Dec 1856 Hereford    6a  941   
  Freeman George   &      Rix    Emma    

The IGI does have coverage of marriages for Pipe & Lyde (but no Rix) and baptisms but of course you'd need Sarah's maiden surname for those.
see http://www.rootschat.com/links/03j1/

If Charles was born 1838 his birth cert would give her surname

Barbara   :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 June 08 01:38 BST (UK) »
The IGI has Emma's baptism, and also one for Edwin born 13 Feb 1831 baptised   
17 Mar 1831      Eign Brook-Independent, Hereford

Offline SC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 June 08 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

Thank you for doing the look-ups for me for Robert - it certainly pieces this family together - I had not heard of Pipe & Lyde but rereading my census printout it could well be that

Unfortunately since the 1841 says Robert was born in Hereford it looks to me that it now rules out my theory that this family is a connection to my John Rix family which is what I was hoping for - John Rix (born Norfolk) had a brother Robert and I thought this was him maybe, that they had both come to Herefordshire together but I guess not.  John's unmarried sister Sarah did come by 1851 and was looking after her niece (John died 1841 and his wife in 1843 and left some young children)

Anyway thank you so much for all your help
SC

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 June 08 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi SC

Where in Norfolk did John Rix come from?  I have a Mary Ann Rix who married John Ebbs in 1834 in Swanton Morley, I haven't found out anything more about her yet

Barbara

Offline SC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 June 08 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

You asked where John Rix came from - well I didn't know to start with as he died just before the 1841 census and so I had to piece all this together for him.
All I had to go on was two connections to an unmarried Sarah Rix born c1790 in Norfolk who appeared in Herefordshire - she lived to age 92!

Sarah was on the 1881 census age 90 born Norfolk as aunt to a William Davies and his wife Ann (now proved to be nee Rex, born to John/Frances) and then I found Nora Rix (born to John/Frances) with the same Sarah in 1851 in Orcop - this time she said born Wittlewood which I figured was probably Wicklewood and so the search began

I found a John Rix chr in 1784 and a Sarah Rix chr in 1791 both born to John Rix and Elizabeth Betts (pretty close to the correct ages as John died in 1841 age 56) and also a sibling Robert so hence my original request for info!!
I also found the marriage for John and Elizabeth Betts and also her birth
This is what I have come up with so far

FreeREG has quite a few records done for Norfolk so I was able to check that the Elizabeth referred to on the IGI was in fact Elizabeth Betts which was helpful
But I'm afraid there were no Mary Ann's in my list but you might be lucky on FreeREG

I think I have now proved my Rix connection back to Norfolk anyway - all  very interesting
SC

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 June 08 16:45 BST (UK) »
I must get started on that bit of the family some time, will have another look at freereg.  Wicklewood is not too far from Swanton Morley, don't suppose there's a connection, although I never say never!

Best wishes, Barbara   :)

Offline SC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Look-up please / marriage - Robert Rix (Rex) COMPLETED new info
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 January 11 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Since my last post on this family I now have Sarah's maiden name from the birth of another child Robert b 1839 (who died a year later) - she was Sarah Dowding

LDS historical records have a year for her marriage to Robert Rix as 1827 in Hereford St Owen

Is it possible to get an exact date and any further details?

I have not entirely ruled Robert out yet as a connection to other Rex/Rix's in Herefordshire

Thanks
SC