Author Topic: **CONSERVATION ADVICE - check here for FAQs**  (Read 38099 times)

Offline Merideth

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'To thine own self be true'
    • View Profile
Re: **CONSERVATION ADVICE - CHECK HERE FOR FAQ**
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 August 06 00:33 BST (UK) »
I have just spent a lovely evening last night with a glass of wine looking at all the wonderfull photos on this forum and thought I might add my 2cents worth.  Auckland Art Gallery provide a (PDF) document you can download for free on preventative conservation.  I'm a complete computer dummy so I dont know how to send links (must ask my 9yr old) but if you go to  www.aucklandartgallery.govt.nz/services/conservation/artcarebook.asp   You will need Adobe Acrobat.  Cheers Merideth
SCOTLAND: Argyll, LANK, REW: Stewart, Harvie, McPherson, McCowan, Cowan, McDonald,McDougall, Russell, Cameron, Hepburn.
INDIA: Quinn, Dare, Cowan.
AUSTRALIA: Langdale, Slattery.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 December 06 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a photo of my great grandfather in a frame. I have noticed rust spots forming on the inside of the glass.

Should I cut it out of the frame, clean the glass and then reseal it or remove it from the frame and put it in an album (acid free etc)?
Are photos in frames good enough conservation if out of extreme temperatures and direct sunlight?

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 December 06 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a photo of my great grandfather in a frame. I have noticed rust spots forming on the inside of the glass.

Should I cut it out of the frame, clean the glass and then reseal it or remove it from the frame and put it in an album (acid free etc)?
Are photos in frames good enough conservation if out of extreme temperatures and direct sunlight?

Jane

Hi Jane  :)
To answer your last question first - yes, photos in frames are fine if those conditions are met, and if they are framed with good quality materials.  If the frame is not a complex one, then it would be a good idea to remove the photo from it, clean off the glass with hot soapy water, rinse with clean water, and air dry.  Then polish it off with a clean dry cloth. The spots on the glass sound like mould so make sure the glass is really clean and dry. clean out any dust etc. from the inside of the frame as well.  Remove any old backing paper, pins/tacks etc. 
When putting the photo back into the frame, it would be best to make sure that the photo is held away from the glass by some kind of spacer.  This is where the window mat comes into its own.  A framing shop should be able to cut one for you.  They shoudl also be able to supply a board of appropriate thickness to go behind the photo, and some gummed tape (eg linen or paper) to seal it all up.  Before sealing with tape, you should nail some small tacks in around the edges, to hold the board in.  All materials shoudl be the best quality you can afford; preferably conservation or museum grade, also called alpha-cellulose or 100% cotton rag boards.
Hope that helps  :)
Prue

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Prue

I knew you would give me the answer. I will follow the instructions to the letter.

Thanks

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 03:02 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Good on you Jane

Happy to be of service.

Cheers
:)

Offline vowlest

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 18:07 BST (UK) »
I've just read this thread and have started taking out all photos from photo albums, but some of them are stuck quite strong and are going to tear if I remove them.  I have thought about steaming them, will this damage the photos.
Vowles
Curtis
Sweetman
Denby
Watkins

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hello vowlest  :)

Yes, it probably will, unless you can concentrate the steam and direct it pretty accurately underneath the photos as you lift them.   In particular, older photos on paper and card are vulnerable to damage.  Newer, resin-coated papers are more resilient.

Have you tried using a blunt blade?  I like to use one of those old-style butter knives, you  know the ones with the bone handles?  They have a very broad, flat, blunt blade which you can carefully work under one corner of the photo, and then working very slowly with very little pressure, pull it under the photo and gently lift as you go.  I've heard of people doing the same thing with a length of waxed dental floss, but I haven't tried that myself!

Another way, if you don't want to keep the albums, would be to leave the photos on the page, and pull the whole page out of the album.  Then split the page through the middle (it should be laminated) using your blade, separating the front and back of the page.  Cut the pages so that each photograph is on its own bit of page.  Then continue splitting each half so it gets thinner and thinner.  Once you are down to the thinnest layer you can achieve, you may be able to then use steam on the remainder of the page to try to remove it.

If none of these methods works, or you don't want to attempt them, I suggest finding a paper or photograph conservator who can help you.  Details at the top of this thread.

I hope that helps!  :D

Prue

Offline vowlest

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 June 07 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Prue.  Loads of great ideas there.  I think I might try the butter knife.  I'm going to scan them all onto disc shortly so that should make sure they don't fade away to nothing anyway.

Thanks again
Vowles
Curtis
Sweetman
Denby
Watkins

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 August 07 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Would someone please advise me about printing the wonderfully restored photos I have on RC?

I've read several pieces of advice, but need a little guidance.  Would they be OK if printed on my HP printer or would they be better if put on a disk and reproduced at a photo shop?

Regards,   Kathleen
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS