Author Topic: **CONSERVATION ADVICE - check here for FAQs**  (Read 38100 times)

Offline Rachels

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: **CONSERVATION ADVICE - CHECK HERE FOR FAQ**
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 14:46 GMT (UK) »
:) Thank you Prue those are useful sites .... I've added them to my favourites  :)

Would the normal 'acid free' plastic envelopes (the sort that can go in ring binders)
be suitable for storing letters ? Or should I be looking for something of better quality ?

Thanks again

Rachel
FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 
Please do NOT use my restores without permission, unless you're the owner of the photo.  Some of my restores are on flickr.com ~ rachel sc

my computer is an iMac

BANCE, BALLINGER, CHEES(E)MAN, CONNOR, COOK, COX, CRUTCHLEY,
DAWSON, FLYNN, FOLWELL, FORGAN, FORREST, HARRIS, KING, LOOKER,
MIDGLEY, OATES, ROE, SIM(M)S, WHITTINGTON

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel,
The 'acid free' plastic pockets are just fine  :)  Make sure they are not PVC - although I doubt any you can get these days would be PVC.

Cheers
Prue

Offline Rachels

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel,
The 'acid free' plastic pockets are just fine  :)  Make sure they are not PVC - although I doubt any you can get these days would be PVC.

Cheers
Prue
:-* :-* :-* :-*

Thank you    :) :) :)

[/color]
FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 
Please do NOT use my restores without permission, unless you're the owner of the photo.  Some of my restores are on flickr.com ~ rachel sc

my computer is an iMac

BANCE, BALLINGER, CHEES(E)MAN, CONNOR, COOK, COX, CRUTCHLEY,
DAWSON, FLYNN, FOLWELL, FORGAN, FORREST, HARRIS, KING, LOOKER,
MIDGLEY, OATES, ROE, SIM(M)S, WHITTINGTON

Offline Sharron Elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 04 January 08 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Have read this thread with interest ... but did not find an answer to my particular problem.
How do I get rid of the smell of musk and dampness that surrounds a bunch of old photos that I have rescued ? I know that sunshine will help with things fabric ... but I don't want to risk any more damage to these photos. They have started to curl as well ... any ideas ?
with thanks,
Sharron
Deacon, Currie, Chamney, McCartney, Wellwood, Davison, Greer

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 04 January 08 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharron  :)

Sunshine will help with paper, too, but as you say, not really with photographs (unless you want them fried  :o  )

Separating them out and laying them on a clean sheet or some clean butcher's paper etc. and putting them on a table or in a room with good air circulation is one possible solution.  I don't mean a stiff breeze should be coming through the window, but somewhere with gentle air movement.  You could put a fan on low and oscillate it around the room.  This will help to dry out whatever dampness there is in the photos.

I've also had success placing photos, books, papers etc. into a sealed plastic container along with a sachet of bicarb soda.  Pour some bicarb into a gauze pocket (I make mine out of wide gauze bandages, stitch up the sides and tie with string) - you want a good handful - and place it at one end of the container.  Put some photos up the other end - you will need to interleave them with some clean paper, and have them quite 'loose' if you know what I mean, to allow air to get in around them.  Leave them sealed up in the container for a week or so, then replace the bicarb and leave for another week.  Hopefully alot of the smell should have gone.

I hope this helps - let me know how you get on!

Prue

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 04 January 08 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to answer your question about the curling  :-[

Once you have dealt with the mustiness, place the photos into an album (there should be details about albums somewhere back in this thread).  Once they have come to equilibrium with the environment in your home or wherever you store them, the curling should decrease.

Prue

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 04 January 08 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
someone back there asked about what to do with the pics that have been restored by RootsChatters. What I do with pics I have scanned or downloaded is to print on plain copy paper and laminate for any I will be using on a regular basis, or to send to relies etc. For archival pics I print onto archival art paper and fix with art fixative. (pressure pack spray) I've tried several brands & quality of photo papers but haven't been happy with the result. I use Pelican brand inks in my printer, and yes your printer warrenty stands if you use generic ink cartridges in your printer.
Cheers,
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 06 January 08 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention, Pelican inks have been around for centuries and are 'tried and trusted' by artists all over the world. Google 'Pelican+inks' and you will see what I'm on about.
Cheers,
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline Sharron Elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 06 January 08 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Prue,
Sound advice and I will definately be putting a box of baking soda in with this particular batch of photos (don't have a clue why I didn't think of that) and when the smell is gone I'll store them properly. I consider them a real treasure.
I appreciate your help.
Warm regards,
Sharron
Deacon, Currie, Chamney, McCartney, Wellwood, Davison, Greer