Author Topic: Air Force Lookups - if you need help  (Read 140395 times)

Offline Wilf1234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Air Force Lookups - if you need help
« Reply #432 on: Saturday 13 October 18 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi mark

I can't thank you enough. This led me straight to his service number (1577555)

I'd held off applying for the £30 records as I'd seen lots of reports similar to yours of poor quality information being provided.

Any ideas where I would need to look next as a brief Google with the new service record hasn't come Up with anything at all?

Thanks again

W

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: Saturday 13 October 18 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi mark

I can't thank you enough. This led me straight to his service number (1577555)

I'd held off applying for the £30 records as I'd seen lots of reports similar to yours of poor quality information being provided.

Any ideas where I would need to look next as a brief Google with the new service record hasn't come Up with anything at all?

Thanks again

W

Wilf

Service Records vary, an RAF Serviceman of the Squadron Association still alive at the time, told me he got about 50 pages, but most others only get the Unit information and brief details on two A3 Sheets.

Usually the Unit and Squadron Numbers only (usually with dates), qualifications and awards if any and next of kin (Amended), can be obtained from the Service Record or our Form 1996 anyway (I have both).

My Father already knew two of his Father's RAF Stations and the ORBs at Kew could be researched from Unit and Station level ORBs (amongst Unit AIR 29 & Station AIR 28), the Station and Station Appendices give some Operational Orders etc., and Squadron information.

Then the Squadron ORBs in AIR 27; Group ORBs AIR 25 and Command ORBs AIR 24 can be searched from there.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: Saturday 13 October 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
Have you tried a Surname and Service number search here to see if he was mentioned. Not everyone was mentioned, but it won't have anything about Operations.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: Saturday 13 October 18 15:43 BST (UK) »
Wilf

If you can't get definite information about the Stations, Units & Squadrons with dates, from your family, you'll probably have to Apply and see if you can obtain the 'Service Record' or information from Disclosures about Units & Squadrons and places and see what was listed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Against that Service Number did the Card have his full names, or just initials only, because occasionally you can get two or more Cards in AIR 78 with the same sets of initials.

If applying, they'll ask you for Date of Birth and other info anyway.

Mark

Offline Rootes75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: Saturday 20 October 18 23:36 BST (UK) »
I am still trying to find out more about my Great Uncle, I have a photo of him in RAF uniform during the war. He passed away in 1949 so the family know very little of him.
His name was Kenneth Hann, I have no service numbers etc so finding anything out has been very difficult.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hello

My RAF Grandfather's surname was on a 250 Mb PDF Free download (but we already had his S/No. and other details).

A few names in AIR 78, are missing.

Looks like the surname Hann might be one of the pdfs in AIR 78/69 (462.5 Mb download)
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_cr=AIR%2078%2F69&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

Check that there are not two or more K. Hann.

WW 2 RAF Service Record Still with MoD

Only direct relatives were usually entitled to the full photocopy information e.g. Wife / Parents, then if deceased their Children, then Grandchildren.
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Perhaps if his direct family are still alive, they may have that information already and be prepared to share it with you?

A Sibling might be a N of K on his Record.

Many are awfully brief, but should give Movements and Postings to Units and /or Squadrons and other brief information about the individual.

Mark

Online mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: Sunday 05 May 19 17:54 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about Rupert Victor De Podesta (749349) who died in a plane crash on the 16 th July 1942. He was a Sergeant/Pilot and I believe the plane crashed on landing at an Oxford airfield. He had been training in Albany, Georgia so might have been returning from the USA. I recall finding a website with details of various plane crashes/losses but can’t remember the name. Can anyone help please?

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: Sunday 05 May 19 18:10 BST (UK) »
Airspeed Oxford I, BF940, of No.3 (P)AFU.

Crashed 1/2 mile south west Ashton Keynes, Wiltshire, 01:15 hrs 40 mins into the dual instruction flight.

Also killed was the instructor F/O A K C Holder.

Court of Inquiry found crash due to failure to maintain equilibrium in deterorating weather conditions.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?6125-420716-Unaccounted-airmen-16-7-1942&p=73403&styleid=3

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Online mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: Sunday 05 May 19 18:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ross for your quick reply. I am trying to trace which squadron he was in so are the court of enquiry records available anywhere?