Author Topic: Sarah Fairy c 1845 Ellington  (Read 10139 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Fairy c 1845 Ellington
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi TessieWessie

Jane, the youngest of Sarah Fairy's many sisters, was born in 1863 in Ellington, Hunts.  She married Thomas August Chandler in 1895 and lived after her marriage in Alconbury, where she died in 1946. 

I'm not sure at the moment about the Jane you mention, whose marriage is shown on FreeBMD in Sept Q 1867 to Lewis Leaver, and whose name is spelled there as Farey.  This could be the Jane Farey born in Wellingborough, Northants in June Q 1840.  The spellings vary quite a lot - Fairey, Fairy, Farey, Feary, etc.

You say you have found Jane and Lewis on the 1891 census.  What places of birth did they give for themselves and their children, if any?  How is their surname spelled there?  I can't find them on the 1881, can you?

Sorry for all the questions, but they might lead to an answer for you.  If Marlene from NZ is watching, she may be able to suggest further ideas, as she has a fund of infomation about Fairys, etc., from Hunts/Beds/Northants.

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 12:54 BST (UK) »
I can see a Lewis Levin?, indexed as Levere by Ancestry, in 1901, age 63 living in Kensington, a second hand clothes dealer; plus wife Jane 53 and children William unmarr 33 and Edith unmarr 19. The children were both born Wandsworth and Lewis and Jane born Richmond Surrey.

I can't see them in any earlier census. Is this the same family as you found in 1891?

I can't see what would link this family with the Biggleswade marriage other than the names are right and William seems to have been born at the right time. But if it is the same family as 1891 and it's the couple who married in Biggleswade the birthplace seems to rule out Jane being from Hunts, and her age is totally wrong for her to have married in 1867

The 1867 marriage is on the IGI, extracted
David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 15:27 BST (UK) »
Apologies, just changed the marriage years for the two Janes on my earlier reply. The correct years are 1895 for Jane F & Thomas Chandler and 1867 for Jane F & Lewis Leaver. Can't think where on earth I got the previous dates from. Must have been a pre-caffeine moment, sorry. :'(

There aren't many Jane Fareys born around the right time to match the one David mentions from 1901.   Jane Farey of roughly the right age might be the one born Cogenhoe, Northants Mar Q 1855 and christened 18 Mar 1855 daughter of Joseph and Esther.  The christening entry is from the LDS site and doesn't specify that it is extracted, so beware.  I find it slightly suspicious that both husband & wife gave the same birthplace - does the 1891 entry say this as well?

Gill

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.