Author Topic: CathyMJP Scavenger Hunt. Everyone Welcome To Join In.  (Read 14759 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CathyMJP Scavenger Hunt. Everyone Welcome To Join In.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 16:38 BST (UK) »
From the Forest of Dean Family History Pages
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/

William Sully was born 25/3/1848, baptised 10/3/1851 Chepstow Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, son of William & Sarah. On the same day, his brother John born 1842 and sister Sarah Ann born 1851 were also baptised. The baptism of Jane born 1852 also appears.

Just spotted Jane Sully's marriage to Thomas Corbin in 1874. The 2 Williams are boarding with them in 1901.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 16:42 BST (UK) »
Theres a tree on the IGI for this family, Corbins also mentioned
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone and thank you for your help so far.

Judi, the 1891 census entry looks very promising.  He is listed as being married, but when he married Mary Jane in 1898 he put down on the certificate that he was a bachelor.  I need to find his wedding which may be the one that Osprey found in 1889 in Cardiff.

Jaywit, In order to clarify this George Watkins I will apply for the birth certificate and thanks for this information.

Deb,  The marriage you have found for William Sully  to one of three Watkins ladies could also be relevant.  However, if this is the correct family the fact that they married in 1864 would make the birth of George  listed as Watkins above unlikely to be our George.

Lots of ideas to follow up – thank you all.

Cathy ;D ;D
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 21:32 BST (UK) »
Cathy The George Watkins birth I found I haven't followed it through, you need to be more sure he didn't die young or can be found on later censii before you send for the cert.
 I do think though that you will find if he was born a Sully his family came from the West Country . Maybe look at ship building towns around the West Country and South Wales.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

ignore that marriage I found, I also found the couple in 1901 (I think) and that George was older. What I have just found is baptisms in Chepstow that seem to match the two boys from the 1881 census that Cat posted.
Edward Watkins son of Mary 20/9/1865 Union Workhouse
George Watkins son of Mary 30/1/1868 Union Workhouse

Haven't found a marriage for Mary Watkins to William Sully as yet, but it does seem to be rather too much of a coincidence, that they are both Watkins Sully and the same age as the baptised boys.

Plenty of Watkins in Chepstow and if you find any that are sawyers, they may well be mine. I have several....  
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy :)

if George watkins Sully was b c 1868 .... according to marriage cert ...so William marrying a Watkins girl in 1864 would seem to fit.

or am I missing something  ...eeekkkk :)

deb

Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,

Sorry Deb,it is me who should say Eeeeeeek!!!! :-\  Looking through all the replies last night, and having spent so much time in the past trying to sort it out, all this new info was great and I think I had brain overload. ;D ;D ;D

Osprey, thank you for that further information - this all does look very promising.

Jaywit,  I will do some more research on this.  I am hoping that my distant cousin will join Rootschat and put his imput into the thread also.  The search for George has been a joint effort.

Thank you

Cathy ;D ;D

Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 09:31 BST (UK) »
not much to offer but just one point
if George Watkins Sull(e)y was born out of wedlock he would most likely to have  been registered under his mothers maiden name, which looks to have been Watkins, when and if the parents subsequently married this would make George legitinmate and his birth would have been re-registered under his fathers name and the birth cert subsequently changed but the index would not, - there is a space in the margin of the birth cert for such changes

so 1) is the birth of George Watkins Sully in Q1 1902 Chepstow, george being re-registerd due to parents marriage or a different George entirely.? (most liely to be a different George  ::) )

2) Jaywit found George Watkins b. Alverstoke Hants 1868, is this George under his mothers maiden name, only the birth cert will tell as there should be a note in the margin of any changes due to parents marriage and the like.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Toni,

Does this mean that:-

If you re-register your name to alter it, that you are entered into the registers at the time of the alteration i.e. as you say possibly in1902 in George's case.

Is any amendment made to the original entry of birth noting the change?  If the original registers are not altered how does the amendment get picked up when searching?

The George W. Sully recorded as married in 1891 on the census, born at Aldershot Hampshire and livng at Portskewett is a strong candidate for our George.  The George Watkins born at Alverstoke Hampshire,  is the nearest match for this George that has come up so far.  If I applied for this George Watkins, and his name had changed to Sully, the amendment should be on the certificae if I read your post right.

Cathy ;D ;D
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden