Author Topic: looking for information on loyal orange lodge in Workington in 2oth century  (Read 16731 times)

Offline steffi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm looking for information about the Loyal Orange Lodge in Cumberland in the first half of the 20th century. If anyone has any information I'd be really interested.

I'm particularly interested in any activity in the Carlisle, Workington, Whitehaven and Frizington areas and in Lodge 134. If anyone knows about this please could they contact me.

Margaret Jones nee Richardson was a member and brethren of the loyal orange lodge acted as bearers at her funeral on 28/07/1949 at Harrington Rd cemetery; grand master,Brother T Clague gave the sermon. If anyone knows how I could access the records of tis time I'd love to know.

Thanks
Appleyard, Angres, Carruthers, Crossley, Forrest, Gledhill, Haley, Hartwell, Jones, Richardson, Siebner, Thorp, Thorpe, Wales, Wailes, Wood

Offline steffi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
loyal orange lodge activity in Workington
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 10:47 BST (UK) »
Still looking for info about Orange Order in Workington.

I haven't found anyone with memories/details of the Orange Lodge in Workington in the 1920s  and 30s. I've posted here on roots chat, on ancestry, on the Whitehaven News forum, and on Cumberland Family History.

Any ideas for further queries?

thanks
Appleyard, Angres, Carruthers, Crossley, Forrest, Gledhill, Haley, Hartwell, Jones, Richardson, Siebner, Thorp, Thorpe, Wales, Wailes, Wood

Offline manchester jack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: looking for information on loyal orange lodge in Workington in 2oth century
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 September 08 21:33 BST (UK) »
There is a book by Donald MacRaild called 'Culture, Conflict and Migration - the Irish in Victorian Cumbria' which has a chapter on the Orange lodges although it may cover an earlier period than you are interested in.  I have a copy of the book and can look anything up in the book for you, the Orange lodges still exist in Cumbria and may have some records.

Offline jeffbubble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 13:33 BST (UK) »
Steffi,
I grew up in Workington in an area Known as the 'Marsh', I would often go to sleep listening to the pipes and drums on 'King Billys' night.
There were many stalwarts of the order in the area, some grew Orange lillys in their back yards.

This was in the early 50s, Later  the focus of the Order seemed to be the 'Union Jack' club, which relocated to the old Imperial Hotel, Senhouse St Workington. phone 01900604532
Jefferson - Wigton/Workington
Wilson -Distington/Workington
Mudridge/Mugridge Cumberland & Cornwall
Hewitson -Ulldale

Offline steffi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 April 09 18:02 BST (UK) »

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help; unfortunately I'm no nearer to any info!

I've tried phoning several times and noone seems to know anything about the order in the 40s/50s 9or at any other time!).

Have you any more ideas of where I could email/phone/write?

Thanks

Offline jeffbubble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 April 09 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Try the Northwestern Area Head Office

Liverpool Provincial Orange Hall
108 Everton Road
Liverpool L6

Jefferson - Wigton/Workington
Wilson -Distington/Workington
Mudridge/Mugridge Cumberland & Cornwall
Hewitson -Ulldale

Offline tommy mcculloch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 February 10 23:01 GMT (UK) »
hi , i too am looking for information on the orange order in workington.
my father was in the workington order,as was my uncle bill.they both played  the big drum each taking turns on various tours in both england and ireland.i think my dad  once held the record for the number of drum skins to be burst on one march . i think it was 9 or 10 skins.sadly uncle bill passed away in 1986,and dad passed away in 1995.dad was buried with his sash and i am trying to get a copy made,just for a keepsake.i have very fond memories of my mam and dad talking about putting some orange order members up at our house during a tour.it was so long ago i wouldnt mind contacting these members as they were some of the most friendly people you could have ever met.
i love to hear the orange order playing.it makes me so proud to hear a tune knowing that both dad and uncle bill have been a part of it.

Offline steffi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 February 10 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Thank you very much for your memories - I knew that the order must have been around in the Workington area because they played at Margaret Jones nee Richardson's funeral and were stretcher bearers for her in 1949.

I haven't got anywhere regarding finding records of her membership or activity for the orde in the area at the relevant time -I've emailed various potential sources to no effect.

When were your Dad and Uncle Bill active in the order?
thanks

Offline Carrigans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 July 10 21:02 BST (UK) »
Steffi

In the 1940's True Blue Women's Temperance Loyal Orange Lodge No. 134 met in the Old Masonic Hall, South Watts Street, Workington. I don't know the area so I can't say if the hall still exists. Brother Thomas W. Clague, who lived in Workington, was the Provincial Master of the North West Province of the Orange Order. In the 1940's the North West Province had lodges in Barrow in Furness, Maryport, Workington, Whitehaven and Harrington. I hope that this is of some help. Let me know if need more information.