Author Topic: Re: Rents/Tenants Perth  (Read 8694 times)

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rents/Tenants Perth
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 07:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry I am so slow Chris, No too late for my lot.  My James Gowans was married in 1790, and is not in the 1841 census neither is his wife, Isabella Sorlie, their son James I think may have died in infancy.   Son John married Ann Morris, no James.  Cannot find their daughters Elizabeth and Mary born 1806.
Running out of places to look, Annie

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

The A. K. Bell Library in Perth has directories going back to about 1836 or 1837, which slightly predates the 1841 census, but might be worth a look. There was also a militia act survey taken in 1802, where all men fit for military service in Perth were recorded, and earlier censuses in 1766 and 1773 - all at the Perth and Kinross Archive, inside the A. K. Bell building. These are all indexed.

I don't know what James' occupation was, but I've gone through previously and extracted names of weavers from these earlier censuses, and there is a James Gowans of Craigend in 1802 who states he has five lawful children. Unfortunately the OPRs for the period reveal a few candidates for a James Gowans at that time. There is also a David Gowans in Pomarium - related? No weavers with the Gowans surname were found in 1773.

For more on my weavers study, see www.perthweavers.bravehost.com - there's some free to view collections on the site.

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 October 08 02:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Chris,  I did have that information re James Gowan with 5 lawful children and I believe this maybe him (Militia Act Survey).  I had tried the A.K. Bell library ages ago and had difficulty getting much information but I will try again re the directories you have mentioned.  He was noted as a Carter on his marriage so could have become a weaver as a lot of them did.   I believe he may have come from Dunning as he fits into a family from Dunning but cannot verify this,  then they must have all moved, I guess to work in Perth etc. This is all I have for his family.
First daughter Margaret married a John Gloag but must have died pre 1841 too. Not verified.
Son John married an Ann Morris, have his death certificate etc.
daughter Christian married Peter Fisher, my line.
Thank you for your assistance and I will have another go, Annie

Offline ursularuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 October 08 16:38 GMT (UK) »
This James Gowans, weaver in Craigend, is actually one of mine.  He was born  in Perth in 1767, the only son of Samuel Gowans and Janet Pitkeathly.  He married twice - first to Helen Allan and had 8 children, then to Jean Pitkeathly and had a further 7 children.  He was a handloom weaver at Craigend and Shoebank, and then later moved to Upper Craigie where he died in 1861.  The family remained in Craigie for another 80-odd years.

More information can be found at:  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gowans

Ursula

Offline Damside Damsel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 October 08 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris
My line is Penny from Dunning and Auchterarder - they were weavers who went on to become dykers and stone masons.

Not sure yet of a link to George Penny - Traditions of Perth - do you have any info on Penny weavers?
Heather
Penny:Dunn:Stewart of Dunning & Auchterarder
Gordon:McLaren:Campbell:Robertson:Livingston:Conachar:Cameron:McLeish:Duff:Kennedy:Dewar:Fleming:

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 November 08 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ursularuth, Noted re your James Gowan re Craigie, Perth.  I had just assumed that that chap might be mine.
James Gowans & Isabella Sorlie had their children in Pomarium.  I will just have to keep looking, Thanks, Annie