Author Topic: Browns from Southend/Prittlewell/Paglesham  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Mozzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Browns from Southend/Prittlewell/Paglesham
« on: Saturday 07 June 08 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm still chasing my Brown families from Essex.  Does anyone share these ancestors with me?

William Samuel Brown b.1848 + Louisa Ann Brown nee Hedgley b.1854 - these two married June 1872 in Rochford and had the following children - Willam John b1872 (Paglesham), Albert b.1877, Alfred b.1880, Louise, Hilda Maud and Emily.

William Brown b.1836 d.1912 + Rachel Brown nee Cook b.1842 d.1926 - these two are both buried in the Southend Borough Cemetery Grave 5197, Plot E, Class C.  They had the following children - Emma b.1867, Alice Mary b.1877, William b.1870, Charlie b.1874 and Florence b.1883.

William Samuel and Louisa Ann in the first family and William and Rachel in the second family are all gg grandparents to me.

I look forward to any replies.

From Mozzie
Poolman, Polden, Scratchley (Wiltshire/Somerset): Hutchens, Roscrow, Mann (Cornwall/St.Buryan): Bradshaw, Squires, Griffen, Griffin (Surrey/Battersea): Brown, Hedgley (Essex/Southend).  Also Bradshaw, Roscrow and Hutchens in Australia.

Offline watsonbrown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Browns from Southend/Prittlewell/Paglesham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Possibly.... get in touch :)

My Browns come from Northamptonshire though, and I don't recognise any names from your list, though at some point we may share a supergreatgrandparent!
Marshall, London Paddington and Poplar
Ogborn, London Lewisham and Kennington
Weller, London Lewisham and Dartford (Kent)
Watson, Essex Southend, Rochford and Wickford
Brown/Browne, Northamptonshire Peterborough
Bukhari, London East Ham

Offline Mozzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Watsonbrown,

Do you have any data on your Browns from Essex which we can start our search with?  Most of what I know is on this website.  Would love to go further with my Browns if possible - I have Clarke, Plumb, Hedgley, Cook connected with my Browns.  I also have Browns on two sides of my family from Essex which makes for a few complications sometimes.  I look forward to your reply 

Mozzie
Poolman, Polden, Scratchley (Wiltshire/Somerset): Hutchens, Roscrow, Mann (Cornwall/St.Buryan): Bradshaw, Squires, Griffen, Griffin (Surrey/Battersea): Brown, Hedgley (Essex/Southend).  Also Bradshaw, Roscrow and Hutchens in Australia.

Offline watsonbrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mozzie.

Just revisiting my tree and notes...  most of my Browns are from Northamptonshire I'm afraid...  I am a Brown from Southend (hello) and my father is from Prittlewell, but he is sure and it is documented that his family are from Northants.

My Browns married into the Watsons (my username not so random!).  The Watsons have a history in Southend/Rochford/Wickford.  It is not clear why one Mr Brown would move to Prittlewell sometime in the early 1900s...  one I guess I should ask my old man!  Perhaps a cousin Brown brought him down?

John Thomas Brown 1859-1936 married a Sophia Petchell in 1879 in Northamptonshire. They had many children...  a couple went on to marry into *Venters*, *Pearson*.  Other marriages connect to *Gee* and *Petchell* and *Templeman*.

Going a few generations up, we have Benjamin Brown born 1825 in Castor (Northants) who married Harriet *Speechly*.  His father was another Benjamin Brown born 1797 same location, married Elizabeth *Money*.

It could be one of the children from above moved to Southend earlier.... I have not gone through them all.  I guess if we go back far enough, all Browns are related somehow... but I think we are at least half a dozen generations.
Bukhari, London East Ham

Offline watsonbrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Despite being a fairly common name, I am quite surprised I could not find a single William Brown in my tree.... yet....

Bear with me as I try flush this tree branch out a bit more - do check back in a couple of weeks.

Do your Browns have any link to the Blue Boar pub in Prittlewell?  It's well known for its history and for the football club fans, but I am told we used to own it at one point!  Sadly not anymore, but turns out in times gone by my Browns were mostly Publicans with a pub also in Northants.
Bukhari, London East Ham

Offline Mozzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 November 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the info.  I will keep you posted if I come across anything new with my Prittlewell/Paglesham Browns that could link up with your family tree.  Great to hear from you.  Regards Mozzie.