Author Topic: Scottish national archives  (Read 727 times)

Offline sueky71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Scottish national archives
« on: Saturday 07 June 08 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Has anyone had any dealings with Scottish National Archives?
What I'm trying to find out is if you can order a copy of the documents they hold.
I've found a few relating to certain family members, and although a reference number and brief details are given, I can't seem to find a way to get hold of the documents (despite looking all over the site - am I missing something?)
Thanks
Sueky
Census information, Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Kennaway, Britton, Cruickshank, Jamieson, Wood, Braidwood, Swan, Inglis (Dalkeith, Edinburgh, Greenock, Glasgow, Lanarks)
Cotton, Wood, Beckwith, Edwards, Rutland, Burgess, Davies (Liverpool, Lancashire, Cheshire, Bucks, Staffs)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish national archives
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 June 08 11:35 BST (UK) »
sueky
The best place to inquire about anything Scotland ;D is on the Scotland general board. In case you cant find it, click the link
 http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 June 08 12:13 BST (UK) »
I've ordered land records (sasines as they are called) from there - so must be a method. I know they had no online payment system at the time (a few years ago) so I had to send credit card information by snail mail

Perhaps an email might supply the answer
http://www.nas.gov.uk/contact/default.asp

This may help as well - remote research
http://www.nas.gov.uk/doingResearch/remotely.asp

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline leighton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 June 08 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Sueky,

I bought a copy of the records of a High Court trial a few months ago from the National Archives of Scotland.

I looked through their online catalogue to find the reference number of the records I was interested in and sent them an e-mail to the address below asking for an estimate to copy the records:

WRH Enquiries
E-mail Address(es):
  WSR@nas.gov.uk

They replied by e-mail giving me the cost to copy the records and also these instructions on ways to pay:

If you decide to proceed with an order for any or all of the above items, please send a crossed cheque, drawn on a British account, or international money order, in sterling, made out in favour of the ‘National Archives of Scotland’, to: Accounts Department, National Archives of Scotland, General Register House, Princes Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3YY.

We can also accept payment by the following credit cards and debit cards: Visa, Mastercard, Maestro and Solo; which can currently only be made in person or by telephone. However, we hope to introduce secure payment facilities in the future. In order to make a payment by credit/debit card you must provide us with: 1) the card number; 2) the card expiry date; 3) the issue number if Maestro; 4) the last 3 digits of the card security number (on the reverse of the credit card); 5) the cardholder's name and initials as displayed on the card; and 6) the cardholder's address. Please note that all of these details are essential. You can telephone us with your payment details on 0131 535 1383.

Payment will be processed when cheques, postal orders or credit card details are received in our Accounts Branch to pay for items requested by post. If NAS are unable to provide the goods requested, a refund will be made by our Accounts Branch.

We shall proceed with your order on receipt of payment. This estimate is valid for two months only, from the date of this letter.  Please quote estimate number 005 on any correspondence regarding this order. Please also provide a postal address to send your order to on completion.

Perhaps they now have an online payment method,

Linslade

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 June 08 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Linslade

Now you remind me - that is exactly what I did - except I had the reference to the sasines in a will & I asked if they existed and could be found. The rest was as you said. At the time I think it was 10 pounds for a certain number of pages & after that perhaps a cost per page - but mine was less than the max number. The cost included the postage (even to Australia).

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk