Author Topic: Seaton's in Blair Atholl Perthshire 1800 and beyond  (Read 35795 times)

Offline christina279

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seaton's in Blair Atholl Perthshire 1800 and beyond
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:21 GMT (UK) »
troth
found this info about robert seaton as to 1738 and the war
robert "george" seaton
born 1718 tranent east lothian
died after1756 logerait
married 1737 elspeth mclauchlane
4 children-between 1738 1760 3 child (mine)descendants suddenly fly of on a tangent to usa obvious not all as im still in scotland ha ha
robert fought at culloden
christina   

Offline christina279

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
troth its on who do you think you are notice board has a few seaton on it

Offline snickersnee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 06 April 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have just signed up for this forum, and would dearly love to trace my Seatons.  Seaton is a relatively uncommon name it seems at least in Perthshire.   My Seatons are found in Moulin Parish (Alexander) and Kirkmichael Parish (Thomas).  They are the only two Seatons listed in church census records of 1832-1841 or so in those parishes.

I am descended from Alexander Seaton of Stronachavie and his wife Margaret Kennedy.  They can be found in the 1841 census, and about six children born to them in the period 1800 - 1815.   Their daughter Margaret Seaton married John Cameron of Moulin and emigrated to Canada in 1835.  From that point on I have lots of information about their family in Canada (she was my g-g-g-grandmother).

What I'm more interested in is finding a Donald Seaton who supposedly fought at the Battle of Culloden (1746), was transported to Virginia, and 2 years later retuned to his family.   I have searched for him high and low in the easy to find records, and tried to reconstruct a family that might have the right age for him.  The Prisoners of  the '45 list only 4 Seatons total, none of them Donald.

I live in the U.S., so am less familiar with sources to seek out this information.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jean

Miller (PA), Cribbs (PA), Schenck (NJ), Piggott (VA),
Trible (VA), Witham (Maine, Ohio), Hudson (VA),
Cloptom (VA), Fleming (VA), Michaux (France, VA)
Morgan (VA), Howden (Ireland), Bustard (Ireland),
Seaton (Scotland), Cameron (Scotland), Kennedy (Scotland), Forbes (Scotland), Reinhard/t (Baden, Minn), Buche (Switzerland), Fouquette (Quebec)

Offline christina279

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
hi again troth donald  cameron and janet reid had children
margaret b 1763 andantion edinton dull
john b 1765 same place as margaret
patrick 1774 blair atholl
margaret married duncan seaton wester balrobie 1787
cant find marriage of donald and janet or there parents can you help
christina

Offline snickersnee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Christina

I am searching for Donald Seaton, not Duncan Seaton.  In the Scottish Briths and Marriages I can find very few Donald Seatons at all.   I have compiled a list of all the Donald Seatons who were born in the right time frame to have fought at the Battle of Culloden, and who could thereafter have had a grandson Alexander, born 1766.

I find one Donald Seaton born 1722 to John Seaton and Margaret McLauchlane.  Such a Donald could have fought at Culloden in 1746, either having married in the early 1740s, and his son (name unknown) could still be the father of Alexander Seaton, born 1766.   This latter date is pretty certain (both 1841 census and gravestone confirm appropriate age).

The generations between Donald in 1722 and Alexander in1766 would have to be short, 44 years for 2 generations -- not impoisslbe though.  I'm hanging my hopes on this connection.

PS.  I also have Camerons in my Scottish family, all from Moulin, Perthshire.  They all emigrated to Canada in 1835 or so.

Regards,
Jean Frane

Seaton (Scotland), Cameron (Scotland), Kennedy (Scotland), Forbes (Scotland), Reinhard/t (Baden, Minn), Buche (Switzerland), Fouquette (Quebec)

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

Alexander Seaton's monument inscription in Kilmaveonaig churchyard states that he was the son of James Seaton and Jean McLagan.

Born at Linmartig (Loinmarstaig in Glen Girnaig (Moulin parish) 18th May 1765, but OPR says birth 1766

plus mention of wife Margaret Kennedy and son Donald.  Do you have these details?

The two adjacent stones are almost certainly related families.

(marriage data) SETTON JAMES JEAN MCLAGAN/ 31/03/1757 384/ 10 223 Moulin parish - see ScotlandsPeople website

Alex has a whole pile of siblings.

Here is a link to the 1st Ordnance Survey map you need in the National Library of Scotland to see Loinmarstaig

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=56.7724&lon=-3.7486&layers=5&b=1

We have some photos of Loinmarstaig (in ruins) if you would like them.

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)
P.S. Where did they settle in Canada?

Offline f1ona

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 22 February 19 04:35 GMT (UK) »
i am the granddaughter or George Unwin Seaton (son of Donald Seaton and Isabella MacLennan, Drumcroy) He was married to Elizabeth matheson. Elizabeth is sister of Patricia Matheson who married peter Seaton (the brother of George Unwin)

Offline snickersnee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 22 February 19 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Check the website borenich.co.uk.  They have helped me enormously finding my Seaton family in Perthshire (Blair Atholll, Moulin, Pitlochry and other places).  You can send an enquiry to the borenich "clan" who are researching Seatons in Perthshire.  My own Seaton/Setton family goes back to 1715 though, probably well before the folks you are looking for, plus my direct line ended up in
Canada in 1836.

Good luck
Jean Frane

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 22 February 19 10:30 GMT (UK) »
As Jean says we have a little data on your ancestors already, but they appear to be incomers to the Blair Atholl area. If you go to the Index on the Borenich web-site and choose 'F', this will take you to 'Families' that we are researching - there are a lot. Yours are in Seaton Families 3, but here is a hyper-link:

www.borenich.co.uk/Ross_Document/Seaton_Paterson.html

To minimise clutter we have started a new topic: 'Seaton families in Blair Atholl and Moulin' where we will provide updates on the various Seaton families that we are researching. We are currently working on the Pitdornie Seatons including Cecilia Seaton.  It is not currently open to public view, but if it is of interest contact us through the web-site.

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)