Author Topic: Link: History of the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland  (Read 42706 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: History of the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 20:43 BST (UK) »
History revisionism is a terrible thing.

Personally I see no reason for such organisations to exist in this day and age of mixed marriages and religious tolerance. Unfortunately there are still people with an irrational hatred of catholicism

http://couchtripper.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=4557

cannibalism  ::) ::)

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 21:45 BST (UK) »
I watched the whole of this wee interesting movie, which I assume was made to improve the Image of the Orange Order. The message I take from it is, here we have an Organization set up and maintained solely for the purpose of hatred of the Catholic Church, but it is a changing organization, the Chief Wizzard held out hope that some day away in the future, Orangemen will be allowed to attend a Catholic Funeral, and some day soon they can achieve the same political power as the Evangelical Christians in the USA who have a stranglehold on who gets elected.

I wonder if Alex Salmond knows he is regarded as worse than a Catholic, maybe he needs some new photo opportunities, join the American Rifle Association, be seen shooting some defenceless animals, did wonders for Putin shooting a tame Tiger, Pallin shooting something already dead, Vice President Cheney shooting a Judge in the face, trying to hit a Duck, he needs to be seen praying, or at the very least, opening a new Rangers Theme Bar.

James.     

Offline keickturd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 22 April 12 01:09 BST (UK) »
Mr PATON CERTAINLY RE PRESBYTERIANS N ULSTER AND the UNITED IRISHMEN.  BUT LIKE MOST AMATEURS HIS IS  A PARTIAL Knowledge
What is certainly true however is that large numbers of Scots who served in Ireland and helped to crush the U.I. Did form Orange Lodges. As for the U.I. there were many Presbyterians in its ranks, But Unfortunately The Catholic U.I.men started to make it Sectarian, And that kinda dampened their enthusiasm. Many of their descendants became ORANGEMEN

Offline keickturd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 22 April 12 01:24 BST (UK) »
Mosstrooper People should try and learn about that which they condemn
I am an Orangeman and a Presbyterian, and these rules are so stupid Do youreally think in this day and age that they are observed. I have attended Church at Catholic Weddings, Funerals, ET, AL because thees people were and are my friends.In the PC And propaganda war Orangemen get a Raw deal, We spread all over the world, and what amazes sociologists membership was NY confined to Anglo /Scots/ Irish But Germans dutch and or her indigenous peoples In SouthAfrica there were Boer Orange lodges, confess Dint think they exist now but there were, SO I would not underrate the attractiveness of the Orange Order

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 22 April 12 01:32 BST (UK) »
Is such an institution needed in the 21st century?

Offline keickturd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 22 April 12 03:06 BST (UK) »
Actually a very good question, But the answer is about as clear as "HOW LONG IS A PIECE of STRING" I am in it because, I firmly believe Ianthe UNION OF the UNITED KINGDOM, Also I believe that the reformed tradition of the Christian faith, is important to mankinds wellbeing and I will do all I can to promote this. As you must have gleaned I have Roman Catholic friends and Respect their absolute right to that faith and practise thereoff, Wellthe religious ones at least Wishing you well and just reminding all I am expressing my Opinions only

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 22 April 12 08:11 BST (UK) »
Compared to my youth the Orange Order in the West of Scotland is a shadow of its former self. Like the Union itself, it's had its day.

Skoosh.

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 22 April 12 10:40 BST (UK) »
Mr PATON CERTAINLY RE PRESBYTERIANS N ULSTER AND the UNITED IRISHMEN.  BUT LIKE MOST AMATEURS HIS IS  A PARTIAL Knowledge

Many thanks for your professional clarification.

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 22 April 12 11:25 BST (UK) »
Mosstrooper People should try and learn about that which they condemn
I am an Orangeman and a Presbyterian, and these rules are so stupid Do youreally think in this day and age that they are observed. I have attended Church at Catholic Weddings, Funerals, ET, AL because thees people were and are my friends.In the PC And propaganda war Orangemen get a Raw deal, We spread all over the world, and what amazes sociologists membership was NY confined to Anglo /Scots/ Irish But Germans dutch and or her indigenous peoples In SouthAfrica there were Boer Orange lodges, confess Dint think they exist now but there were, SO I would not underrate the attractiveness of the Orange Order

I certainly wasn't aware of any pc or propaganda war against the institution but reports like the following are newsworthy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/15/unionists-orange-order-kerr-funeral

With regard to the Boers, I didn't realise they believed in the UNION OF the UNITED KINGDOM