Author Topic: Name Spelling Variations  (Read 7803 times)

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Name Spelling Variations
« on: Tuesday 10 June 08 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there!  ;D

After bumping into a couple of stone walls, I've decided to go as far back as I can and try to sort out the earliest members of the family.

I trawled SP and the IGI for the variations in spelling that I was already aware of, but discovered I was evidently missing lots of family members given the children I found born to father named X when I couldn't find an appropriate X in the right timeline.  (Does this make any sense??!!)  However, opening up my search, I've come across a bundle of christening/baptism records which would make a lot of sense, but I'm just not sure about the name variations and wonder if I'm fitting these people in just to suit my tree!

To explain:  the family name of interest is Balharry (Balhary, Balharie, Balharrie, Ballhary, Ballharry, Balharey, Batharry etc etc). 

The records I've found which 'fit' nicely are Bathie, Batthie and Barty

My Balharry's all originated from around Glamis, Tealing and Newtyle and of course this is exactly where these newfound folks hail from.  ::)

What do you think?  Am I stretching here? I haven't yet checked a couple of the original images to see whether they've been mistranscribed, but there are so many of them that I think it unlikely.

Your thoughts are most welcome.

Lass x

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Name Spelling Variations
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hello

The following site:

http://www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?search_name=Bathie&search_sex=F&action=search&Submit=Submit

Shows that a pet name for the female Christian name of Bathie can be either Bathia, or Bathsheba, with variant spellings of Batthie or Bathy.

Regards,  Steve :O)

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, thanks for that link, may well come in handy along the way  ;D  The names I have, however, are surnames......

I just sort of wanted to know if I was reaching for something that's not there!  I had contact from another Rootschatter who's given me the wise advice of 'if in doubt, leave it out', which I guess I'll have to go with, since there's no proof anywhere that these folks are mine.  A tad unfortunate, as it looks like I won't be able to piece together the bits I have there now and it's a big chunk  :'(

Thanks for your interest anyway!  :)

Lass x

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 20:40 BST (UK) »
No problems,

I'd agree with the other person as well.  I only put the link in to highlight the fact that the names looked like christian ones.  I take it that none of your 'possibles' died after 1855 or at least after the 1851 census?
Regards,  Steve    :O)

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

I do appreciate that link btw, wasn't being ungrateful!!  In fact, I wonder if perhaps these first names are derived from original surnames?

Anyhow, I'm sorry I didn't mention it, but I'm looking at folks mostly in the 1760's but also a few in early 1800's.  So yeah, no help with the census dammit!!  ::)

Lass x

Offline Tazette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 July 08 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Cousin-  ;)
The most common mix-ups with the surnames was with the Behary/Beharrie family. I believe there was a completely seperate family by the name of Behary, however the Balharry family often was mistranscribed as Behary, etc...

The Bathie/Barrie/etc was not often found to actually be the Balharry's.   Bathary/ie was only mistakenly transcribed as such a few times.

P.S. Nice work on Chile!!

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 July 08 21:13 BST (UK) »
Well hello there, cuz!  ;D

I figured I was reaching with this name variation!! 

And re Chile - twas the kind help of the rootschatters who got me there in the end - I'm in touch with our Chilean cousins and they're delighted to be part of our family  ;D  If you want the info I've got on this branch, let me know - I still haven't pinpointed where the original David slots into our tree though...... maybe your fresh eyes on this, or existing tree info would help???

Lass x

Offline Tazette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 July 08 22:58 BST (UK) »
Yes- please fill me in on the Chilian history... I had received some previosly from a fellow (with a very Spanish sounding name- actually)- but I did not think it was well enough documented... Seem to recall he thought David went there and returned to Scotland- so I wonder if the marriage to Margaret Jaffrey was a first marriage...and he may have later remarried? Just a thought.
The fact that BF Balharry was born so late in the marriage also brings forward the question of whether or not perhaps the marriage was- shall we say- of convenience??
I can't quite recall all of the details on the Chilian side-Please do refresh my memory  ;D

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 August 08 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Lass I have never found any proof that Bathie, Batthie and Barty are part of the family surname. The only variations I have seen are those you listed Balhary, Balharie, Balharrie, Ballhary, Ballharry, Balharey, Batharry  & also Beharie and a Becharie. Probably we all descend from John Balharrie 1674 testament Glamis and his spouse Barbara Smith. Suggest you send a researcher to the attic at Balharry in Alyth Scotland where you will find 50 large crates of Balharry estate documents. Many early documents mention various persons living at Balharry or variation like Balharie and there is a 1683 four foot long Balharry Writs document listing all the Balharry estate owners. Somewhere buried in these old documents could be a clue as to our Balharry origin, the surname given to one of our ancestors who once lived there at Balharry  but moved away, unfortunately we do not know his name. But there maybe some evidence of his name in the Auld Scots documents held at Balharry. Could be worth a look.