Author Topic: Name Spelling Variations  (Read 7810 times)

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Name Spelling Variations
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 August 08 10:32 BST (UK) »
Well hello there cousin!  ;D

I had no idea about the cache in existence in Alyth - obviously knew about the house - how did you come to find out about this???  Now what a fabulously interesting exercise that would be...... send a researcher?? I'd want to do it myself!  ;D

I'm sending you a pm anyway, be nice to be able to keep in touch, I know mum had your email address but has either lost it or it's changed, not sure which.

Lass x

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 August 08 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Lass

You can always email me

I found out about those Balharry docs from National Archives of Scotland. By the way I forgot to mention that it is a private archive at Balharry so you will need to gain viewing permission via appointment with the owner first. That can be done through contact with the NAS. I had a researcher go there but there was far to many documents and it would have been far to much of a costly exercisers to pay him to go through everything let alone transcribe old documents. There are hundreds of old letters etc in the boxes many must be fascinating

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 August 08 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again cuz

I've taken note of your email addy, so I'd suggest you go back in to your post and delete it, otherwise you're likely to get a bucketload of spam!

I'll look into the NAS situation.  I wonder whether they would allow us to do it personally, or whether they would insist on a recognised researcher, do you happen to know?

Lass x

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 August 08 20:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry, me again - just checked my email and found your message, will respond!

Lass x

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 August 08 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Las NAS can give you the archive owners phone number, her name is Mary Blackwell at Balharry, you can then call her direct and discuss viewing the documents your self (I don't know her position on that but you could tell her you are a family genealogist or something). Like I said these documents are mostly to do with estate owners of Balharry and persons who lived there for some centuries. One of our ancestors must of lived there at one point but may have just been a tenant. The trouble is we do not know which ancestor. However there are hundreds of stampless letters among the boxes from 18th & 19th century some clue could be hidden away somewhere. I am lucky as I also connect to the Smyth of Balharry family so there is a lot there concerning the Smyth's of who Mary is a descendant. Can you transcribe auld scots? I will wait for your email, by the way please send me your latest family tree and I will take a look, enjoy your weekend regards Duncan

Offline Alf Beharie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 October 18 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lass, don't know what your surname is but I am custodian of the combined family trees of the Balharrie's, Beharrie's, Beharie's, Baharie's so if you still need info on these let me know.  You can find me on facebook...Just search for my user name.  BTW, the house in question is at "Balhary", not "Balharry"...I've been there and part of it is now the local job centre.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 October 18 04:34 BST (UK) »
My problem is south of the border in County Durham. The name Freak. or ? or? or ? or ?.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 October 18 10:09 BST (UK) »
BTW, the house in question is at "Balhary", not "Balharry"...I've been there and part of it is now the local job centre.
Spelling isn't constant.

There are two houses named as Balharry with the double r in the parish of Alyth on Stobie's map dated 1783 - see https://maps.nls.uk/view/74400314 and zoom in to find Meigle and Alyth at lower right.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alf Beharie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 00:32 BST (UK) »
My problem is south of the border in County Durham. The name Freak. or ? or? or ? or ?.

You must be referring to the surname Baharie?  First let me say that Beharie (my Surname) is just a phonetic variation of Balharrie, and it first appeared in the records around the 1690's when a John Beharie was born...He Christened his son James Beharie (my Gt, Gt, Gt, Gt Grandfather) in 1716. And even after that I had some ancesters that appear as both Beharie or Balharrie in the records (On the IGI).  Even my gt, gt, grandfather Robert Beharie, a well off Mill owner from Dundee, called his company Robertson and Beharrie (with an extra r!)...They really didn't seem to care how it was spelt at all.  As for Baharie, that is just a phonetic variation of Beharie.  It first appeared when James Beharie's brother, Alexander Baharie of Atholl was born, in around 1720. His Son, another Alexander, who was born in 1746, was a seafarer, possibly a ships captain or navigator, as he moved from Dundee to Sunderland and started a Naval academy there.  He even published a book on the subject.  I have the complete family tree of the Baharie side of the family right down to the present day (thanks to Peter Godfrey), as well as the Beharries and Beharies of course.  I haven't added more of the Balharries to my tree as it would get far larger and even more complicated.  Going by your user name I am guessing you surname is Barry?  I'm afraid to say that as far as can tell, Barry is a Welsh surname, and completely unrelated to the Balharrie's, Baharie's, Beharie's or Beharries from Scotland.