Author Topic: Jane TRINDADE Harem  (Read 18473 times)

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane TRINDADE Harem
« on: Thursday 12 June 08 04:24 BST (UK) »
I have in my possesion a jug with "Jane Trindade 1831" painted on it. Through some of my late mothers correspondence I have learned that she was Jane Gertrude Johns of Crantock. I believe she married a Joseph Lourissco da Trindade maybe in Falmouth. He is described as a Merchant on her death Cert.
The interesting part is that I believe, at some stage,she ended up in a harem, and escaped by bribing the guards with jewelery. The story goes that she was smuggled out in a wine barrel to the waiting boat skippered by a Thomas Johns.
She evidently had a dark skinned son (maybe Joseph) and lived her days out till 9 Mar 1872 in Crantock. She died at Church Farm Crantock.

I would like to know where the harem was, what happened to her husband, was the boats captain her brother and what happened to her son.

Ding
Lincolnshire Bell, Australia Bell, Cornish Peters, Australian Peters, Cornish Martyn, Cornish Pollard.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Jane TRINDADE Harem
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 June 08 05:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Ding,

Unfortunately I can't verify any of it. I can tell you there is no entry in the Crantock registers for this alleged son. No baptism, no burial. This article states she was a young woman but I have been over the register closely and nothing. There is no marriage listed in Cornwall, but if the story is true I doubt there was a marriage. If there was perhaps in this foreign land  :-\

Jane did have a brother Thomas bap 1 May 1803. 1841 and 1851 it looks like he is an accountant in savings bank in Falmouth and in 1861 secretary and actuary Falmouth Savings Bank, so does not seem likely he was a captain. Her brother William was however a Master Mariner.

This article says she was rescued by her brother Thomas.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CORNISH/2006-08/1156849746

Perhaps you should try to contact the author if you have not already done so. He may have further information. The burial on 14 March 1872 lists her as Jane Gertrude Trinidade aged 72 years of Crantock . It certainly is a fascinating story and it would be good to get to the bottom of it. Good Luck ............Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 June 08 07:13 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention - the other thing that crosses my mind is this description of her husband as Joseph Lourisico Da Trinidad(e).......I wonder if his name may have been something Like Joseph LOURISICA and he was described as da Trinidad (of Trinidad) Now you have record of him as a merchant and a wealthy merchant would probably describe himself as of somewhere. Name too hard to say so for respectability she just became Jane Trinidad. True or untrue the family needed to find some respectability for Jane and her situation particularly if she did in fact have a dark skinned son and he died unbaptised and the locals knew about it. The Johns were a very respectable family. I am sure they would not have wanted it known that Jane had been used and abused in a harem........Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 June 08 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris, thank you for your replies to my post.
I hadn't seen the Brian Harris story so I have sent an email off to him including what information I have, so hope he is still at the same address.
Looking at her death cert. it could well be Joseph Lourisico. As you say maybe they never married and the name Trindade was adopted to give legitimacy to the dark child.
It was a long shot that I posted this but sofar it has been fruitful. I don't have any dates except the one on the jug (1831). I assume her ordeal happened in the early 1820's.

Again thanks, Ding
Lincolnshire Bell, Australia Bell, Cornish Peters, Australian Peters, Cornish Martyn, Cornish Pollard.

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 June 08 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes think Kris is definitely on to something with the da/de of
Up to 1800's it was very common in the registers to see surname de (Place) for many people in the parish..so this could have been a latin continuation.

Census 1871
45,,1,William Martyn,Head,U,35,,Farmer 125a Emp 3 Men 1 Boy,Crantock Cornwall,,
,,,Jane Trinidad,Aunt,W,,71,Annuitant,Crantock Cornwall,,
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kayhin/72257a.html

1861 already a widow (or stating that)
TRINDAD   Jane   Sister   W   F   61   Annuitant    Cornwall - Crantock     

1851 census still with father and unmarried.
   JOHNS   William   Head   W   M   76   Retired Farmer    Cornwall - Crantock       
    JOHNS   Jane   Dau   U   F   51       Cornwall - Crantock       
    JOHNS   William   Son   U   M   49   Master Mariner    Cornwall - Crantock       
    JOHNS   Charlotte   Dau   U   F   30       Cornwall - Crantock       
    SCORSE   Mary   Servnt   U   F   20   House Servt    Cornwall - Helstone   
Piece: HO107/1905 Place: Padstow -Cornwall Enumeration District: 1
Civil Parish: Crantock
Makes you wonder that later that year was when she married at 51yr?

Bye
Althea

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 June 08 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Here she is in 1841,

1841  HO107/149/9  f.6  p.6  Crantock
Tregunnell

William JOHNS           65    Ind
Charles   "  "             20    Ap Shipwright
Charlotte  "  "           22
Jane TRINIDADE        40    Married Daughter
Elizabeth LAWES       50    Ind
Silas MARTYNE           4
Elizabeth CHEG?DEN   22                               All born in county

Regards
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 June 08 05:59 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, thank you all for your efforts.
Its interesting to follow the census information:

1841   Jane Trinidade  41 Married daughter.
1851   Jane Johns   51 Daughter, Unmarried, Housekeeper
1861   Jane Trindad  61 Sister, Widowed, Annuitant.
1871   Jane Trinidad  71 Aunt, Widow, Annuitant.

For those of you following this post here is a section of the letter written to my mother in 1968 by a Martyn cousin in Cornwall:

" She was married to a Trinadad who I think must have come into Falmouth in the wine trade business. He married her, or so she thought, but delivered her up, we are told, to a Mosocan(?) Hareem. I feel it must have been to do with the wine trade, because when she escaped by bribing them with jewellry she was, we were told,.......down onto the Quay in a wine barrel on board a boat bound for Falmouth. The captain of the boat is said to have told her brothers and arranged the escape. She had a black child lived with her in Crantock.
She lived at home after with her unmarried sisters at Vosputh(?) built for the daughters by their father, who owned land in Crantock inherited from his mother a Martyn........My mother was taken to see her as a child. She was very tall and upright though very old. She herself never spoke of the affair. But it is history to all the family. Some members said it was the West Indies but this I do not believe - too far off. We do know however that it was the end of the French wars, and she could have been seized by pirates off the Banbury coast
."

Hope this is of interest,   Ding

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 June 08 07:20 BST (UK) »
JANE JOHNS
JOZE DA TRINDADA LOURENZO   
Marriage:  25 JUL 1821   Mawnan, Cornwall

I would think with that name he was possibly Portuguese. Trinidad is Spanish for Trinity. I don't think having Trinidad in his name means any connection to the Caribbean.

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 June 08 07:37 BST (UK) »
Burial
18th June 1822
St Michael Mawnan