Author Topic: Jane TRINDADE Harem  (Read 18563 times)

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane TRINDADE Harem
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 June 08 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
It looks as if we can successfully compile an outline of the life of Jane Trindade (Johns) given the results of your research.

It appears that Jane was born in Crantock in 1799 the daughter of William Johns & Jane Johns (Lawer). They moved to Mawnan in 1813/14 and on 25 Jul 1821 she married Joze Da Trindada Lorenzo a merchant from Portugal. In May the following year she gave birth to Joseph Lorenzo Trindade, who died at the age of one month and is buried in St Michael, Mawnan.
At some stage in the following 9 years (the date on my jug being 1831) she ended up in a Moroccan harem. It appears that it is unlikely that she was betrayed by her husband Joze (Joseph being English form of Joze). She also kept her married surname on her return. The most likely scenario is that she and Joze were attacked by Barbary Coast pirates and she was delivered into a Moroccan harem. The Barbary pirates were operating until 1830. Her husband Joze has not been heard of since.
Jane was able to escape the harem by bribing the guards with jewelry and was smuggled out in a wine barrel to the boat Liberty skippered by a Thomas Johns (who may have been her uncle). She was delivered back to Crantock and lived with her widowed father until after his death when she and her unmarried sister, Charlotte Johns, moved into Church Town. She was described as a tall upright lady who never spoke of the harem affair.
Jane died on 9 Mar 1872 at Church town, Crantock. Aged 72 wife of Joseph Lourisico da Trindade (sic) Merchant. The informant, who was present at her death, was her sister in law Matilda Johns (wife of Edward Lawer Johns). She was buried in Crantock Church yard on 14 March 1872.

My sincere thanks to everybody who have helped piece this mystery together.

Ding  ;D
Lincolnshire Bell, Australia Bell, Cornish Peters, Australian Peters, Cornish Martyn, Cornish Pollard.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 June 08 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ding,

Great Work - Alas it does not appear to have been uncle Thomas who was the captain as he died in 1785 and was buried in Crantock on the 20 Apr 1785  :'(

Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 June 08 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I found this on NA and thought I would post it:

[no title]  BRA1301/1  1828

Contents:
Marriage Settlement (L&R) Marr. of .(iii)&(iv)
(i) James Eddy of Truro, gent excrs, in trust of Simon Lawer of Truro, Mercer deed.
John Buckingham of Kenwyn, surgeon excrs, in trust of Simon Lawer of Truro, Mercer deed.
(ii) Elizabeth Lawer of St. Agnes, widow of Simon Lawer deed
(iii) Elizabeth Lawer of St. Agnes, spinster, dtr. of (ii).
(iv) Richard Retallack of the Borough of Mitchell, gent.
(v) Joseph Newton of St. Agnes, gent. Nicholas Francis Bassett of Kenwyn, surgeon. Trustees
(Recital of will of Simon Lawer deed. of 17 March 1808 granting (ii) annuity of £100. Residue to his dtr. (iii) (i) possessed of land etc. at Treamble, Perranzabuloe and shops and houses in Truro occ. Francis Thomas, stationer and Silvanus James, grocer for redr. of 99 yrs' term granted by lease of 29 September 1804 from Sir John St. Aubyn, Bart., to Simon Lawer (decd.) Then determinable on death of (ii) and Jane Gertrude Johns. Also possessed of part of Ryder's tenement, Kenwyn, for redr. of two terms of 99yrs. granted by Sir Wm. Lemon Bart. by two leases of 29 Sept. 1805 and 24 June 1810. Then determinable on deaths of (ii) (iii) and Jane Gertrude Johns and occ. by Phillip Sambell, merchant. By same will (iii) entitled to £817-13s-9d due by promissory note of James Eddy. £850 then due to (iv) as legatee and excr. of will of Francis Retallack; of the Borough of Mitchell gent. (his father) from Mary Norway of Egloshayle, widow. Money secured on premises in Egloshayle recited in Assignment (by way of Mortgage) of 15 September 1824. £300 due to (iv) from Joseph Hooken of Ellenglaze, esq., and representatives of John James of Truro, gent. on a bond of J. Hesken and J. James of 5 May 1819.
20 January 1828 (iii) was 22. Marriage arranged between (iii) and (iv). Annuity of (ii) charged on freehold and leasehold premises called Trevissa and Penscawen, St. Enoder.)
(i) & (ii)
With consent
Of (iii) and (iv) to (v) -- premises at Treamble, Perranzabuloe occ. Perran Hoskin, then John Hosking, then Luke Blce, then Catherine Tyggu, widow
(iv) to (v) -- £300 and £850
Trusts (iv) for life, then (iii) and child (ren) of marriage.)
3 and 4 November
Witd. Jos. Hosken James, solicitor, Truro; John Mason Pooley, clerk to Messrs, Huddy & James, solicitors, Truro; Mary Goyen.

Is this your Jane Gertrude Johns who married Joze da Trinidad?

It seems that Jane Johns nee Lawer had a brother named Simon Lawer...

re; the arranged marriage:

IGI has this; Elizabeth Lawer = Richard Retallick
28 dec 1828, St Agnes near Truro

deb

Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 16 June 08 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb, very interesting find!
It is going to take me a while to get my head around all this. My initial thoughts are that this would have to be our Jane.
1. Her mother was Jane Lawer and on the 1841 census there is an Elizabeth Lawer in the same house as Jane.
2. IGI has Simon Lawer chr. 16Jul 1774 brother to Jane.
3. The 1861/71 census show Jane Trindade as Annuitant, maybe this has some connection.

It needs some studying. :-\

Ding
Lincolnshire Bell, Australia Bell, Cornish Peters, Australian Peters, Cornish Martyn, Cornish Pollard.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 June 08 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ding and Deb,

Yes it certainly is Jane,

I recognise the names. Simon Lawer is her uncle. This was the marriage settlement - I presume Elizabeth's Father's Will of 1808 had to be read as there was provision for his daughter. Simon's daughter Elizabeth (his only child) married Richard Retallick 5 Nov 1828. Richard and Elizabeth had 2 children and interestingly those children are in the home of Nicholas Basset a surgeon (also mentioned as Trustee) and his family in the 1841 census. Simon's wife was Elizabeth Tregellas NEWTON the daughter of Francis Newton and Elizabeth Tregellas. Simon and Elizabeth married 24 July 1804 in St Agnes. The other Trustee Joseph Newton I expect was Elizabeth's brother bap 19 Sep 1802 St Agnes.

Cheers Kris  :D

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 June 08 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi ding

it sure is a fascinating story ... I have just reread my previous post and have noted that Philip Sambell is a merchant....

I wonder if finding Richard Retallick amd Elizabeth Lawer may reveal any other clues. Was the arranged marriage to do with money?

also ,  Jane  Gertrude was already married to Joze Lorenzo d trinidad at that stage (1828) , was it an old will or were they ignoring the fact that she had married him? It seems to be the case also when she was living with her dad in 1851 as in all other censues she refers to herself as Jane Trinidad.

maybe the will of William Johns may help. see previous post.

ummm this does need some thinking through! Why did the story go that Thomas , her brother, saved her when it was her other brother, William, who was the master mariner?

deb :)

ps ...hiya Kris :)  we are crossing wires here ...LOL

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 00:06 BST (UK) »
Kris ...

That is brilliant info ! :)  Do you think Jane Gertrude was around then or was she in the harem?

Jane marries in 1821 ...see Valda's post
JANE JOHNS
JOZE DA TRINDADA LOURENZO   
Marriage:  25 JUL 1821   Mawnan

then she has Joseph in May 1822, she is mentioned in a will in 1828.

Did Philip Sambell know Joze ? they were both merchants.

When did her dad, William die? Do you think the will I found was his?
Online Document PROB 11/2260
Will of William Johns Gentleman Crantock , Cornwall .  Date: 1857

deb :)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 00:10 BST (UK) »
That would be the will Deb. William was buried Crantock 21 Nov 1856 aged 82 years...........Kris  :D

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 00:19 BST (UK) »
Kris

Does Ding have the will ...it may reveal more!  ;D

deb

ps ...I wonder if my Crantock rellies knew Dings?