Author Topic: Death of Thomas MARSHMAN, Wells, Somerset  (Read 8413 times)

Offline woowoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death of Thomas MARSHMAN, Wells, Somerset
« on: Friday 13 June 08 14:34 BST (UK) »
I am after some info about Thomas Marshman.  He was born abt 1829-1831 in Croscombe Somerset and was the son of John and Caroline.  I know he married a Sarah Woolley and had 4 children and I know he served time in Broadmoor (1881) Lunatic Asylum and then Barnwood Gloucs (1891).  I have found a death in 1899 June quarter in Wells District, Somerset  (5c 317) and  I was wondering if someone could check this up for me please so I can confirm that this is or isn't the correct one.  Many thanks in advance Wendy

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Thomas Marshman, Wells, Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 June 08 14:41 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid the only way you can find the details on a death certificate is by buying the certificate.

If you are not already aware, certificates can be purchased form the GRO for £7.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Regards,
Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline shaunburkey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Thomas MARSHMAN, Wells, Somerset
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 00:06 BST (UK) »
Dear Wendy,

I have just discovered Thomas Marshman was my GGGgrandfather, and also discovered he ended up in Broadmoor Lunatic Asylum ( worrying and both curious) his father was John Marshman and his mother was Caroline. I think his grandfather was Joseph (from Potterne, Devises, Wiltshire) and his grandmother Hannah since on the 1851 census the house next door is occupied by these people.

Thomas Marshman went to Broadmoor before 1871 and Sarah Woolley his wife is untraceable in 1871 with their youngest child, Elizabeth classed as an orphan living somewhere else. What was Thomas sent to Broadmoor for, muder of Sarah? They appear to be a family of coal merchants. My line stems from his daughter Mary Jane, born abt 1858 who appears to have eloped at 16 with Thomas Payne to Derbyshire where they where married.

I'd welcome sharing infiormation further.
cheers, shaun

Offline woowoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun, yes you are absolutely correct on all accounts.   Thomas was my partners 1st cousin 5 times removed or something like that.  I will reply to your enquiry through Ancestry

Offline mondin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 June 09 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am the G G grand daughter of Thomas Marshman,  by way of Elizabeth Marshman. So it looks like we are related.
Elizabeth moved to Manchester and married Randal Hurley in 1882, one of the witnesses was a L Marshman don't know if someone from the family moved with her or was just visiting for the wedding.
Elizabeth (in the 1901 census and now Hurley) had 5 children my grand mother Monica Mary  17 born in Ireland, Edward born in Pilton Somerset age 12, Wilfred 8 born in Lancashire and Joseph 7, and Elizabeth 3 born in Lancashire.
Would appreciate any information that you have on the Marshman family.      Monica D

Offline woowoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 June 09 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thomas Marshman married Sarah Woolley, they had 5 children Frederick, George, Mary Ann, Elizabeth and Louisa.  Thomas's parents were John and Caroline (Foxwell) who also had Edward and William.  John's parents were Joseph and Hannah (Harrick) who also had Alice ,James (who is my connection), Charles, Patience and Israel.  Joseph had brothers William ,james and Thomas. I think Shaun has more info on your line but if you need any more general (ie dates marriages etc) info please ask

Best wishes Wendy

Offline mondin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 June 09 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy
Thank you for the information.  The L. Marshman who was a witness at Elizabeth's wedding would have been Louisa. Could Sarah have moved to Manchester with them?  It's a possibility.

When Elizabeth was married 1st. Aug. 1882 the certificate shows her father Thomas as being deceased. ( Could be or it could be that she didn't want to put down inmate.)

All I knew about John was his birth date and married to Caroline.  Didn't have her maiden name.
Would appreciate any dates you have for John's parents and his siblings.  Thank you for taking the time.

Monica Dinnes

Offline woowoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 June 09 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, I don't have Johns DOB so maybe we could swap info.  John I have as born abt 1801 in Croscombe and dying in 1852 in Shepton Mallet.  Caroline was born 7/1/1799 Croscombe and they married 27/12/1826 in Croscombe.  John's father Joseph was born abt 1781 in Potterne or Croscombe, he married Hannah Harrick who was born abt 1781 Shepton Mallet and died before 1871.  I don't have a marriage date for these.  Their children are Alice 3/11/1807 (who married William Somers), James 27/2/1809 (who married Ann and had James (1835-1900) and Ann-Maria (1842)),Charles 18/2/1812, Patience 27/8/1815, and Israel 25/7/1818 and died 19/12/1877 (who married Hester Court born abt 1831 from Ripple Somerset)  Hope this helps you out,

Wendy

Offline mondin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 June 09 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy
Thank you for the information.  I have been in touch with Deborah who has links to the Marshman family and she was kind enough to send me her information.
Descendants of Alice Leonard
Alice Leonard was born Abt. 1740 in Potterne and died 1820.  'she married James Marshman 4 Oct. 1767 in Market Levington Wilts.  He was born abt. 1740 in Potterne and died in 1827 in Croscombe.
Children of Alice and James Marshman are
1 Thomas Marshman b abt 1774 Potterne Wilts d abt. 1858
2 Joseph Marshman b abt. 1781 Potterne Wilts d abt.1861