Author Topic: Do you have a link with Braydon Oak - Savernake Forest, Wiltshire?  (Read 31807 times)

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have a link with Braydon Oak - Savernake Forest, Wiltshire?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 November 09 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, and we hope your journey back home was an enjoyable one Belinda and Paul !

Just a quick update folks,

The photographs have now been passed on to Belinda and Paul, a lovely couple who travelled down to Wiltshire to meet up with us and share some family history over a pot of tea and coffee.

We later went to Braydon Oak and found that work is underway to make it habitable once more.  We shall post an up-to-date photo later.

This 2 year thread has now finished (for the time being).  Now, it's over to you Belinda and Paul to uncover the remaining family secrets...

:-)

Kojak and Redspookhunter and Meg Babalicious (who loved her dog treats (she had one when we arrived home)
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 November 09 20:08 GMT (UK) »

Hi Jak and Spook

Thats wonderul news,  i am so glad it had a happy ending

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 November 09 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Here is the up-to-date photo of the old house under going some tlc.
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 16 November 09 05:46 GMT (UK) »

Ohhh will be lovely ......
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline megany1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 01 March 10 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have just accidentally fallen into this chat as was actually trying to find the postcode of my sisters house online.

I was raised in Braydon Oak along with my other 4 siblings, being the youngest it appears you've not got any records of me.

It is a very sad tale with regards the ownership of Braydon Oak, we lived there for nearly 30 years as tenants of the Earl of Cardigan who repeatedly refused to sell the property to my family and likewise refused to make repairs to the property, which steadily fell into worse and worse condition. My family eventually left some five years ago or so, as the houses condition became untenable as well as the lack of mains electricity and gas making the cost of lighting and heating unbearable. The house has relatively recently been sold and I am assured there is a young couple who have been renovating it to a good condition, which I am delighted to hear.

I am distressed to hear that the pictures seem to have been inadvertantly left, and that they appear to have gone outside of the family? could someone help to try and get these back I am sure the rest of my family will be delighted to get them back.

My family is extremely well known in Marlborough with practically all members of my immediate family still living there and a simple call to the local police station alone would have pointed you in our direction.

I'd be happy to enlighten anyone who is interested as to the history of the house etc, though amazes me that there is a world of people out there who are so interested?!

Kind regards,

Offline megany1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 01 March 10 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'd like to know how I can make contact with Xylem whom I imagine must be my Aunt????

Offline megany1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 01 March 10 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'd like to know how I can make contact with Xylem whom I imagine must be my Aunt?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 01 March 10 16:51 GMT (UK) »
megany1

Now you have made 3 posts, if you go up to where Xylem has made her last post and click on the green scroll, you will bring up a page where you will be able to send her a personal message.

Good luck.

Lizzie

ps.  Rootschatters are interested in anything related to family histories, even when it is not their own family, so I'm sure the people following this thread would be interested in the history of the house, I know I would.

Offline hcben

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 12 September 10 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Kojak, I think I may have a link with the game keepers cottage you are talking about. I think my great great grandfather lived there in 1861. He was a game keeper at Braydon Park, according to the 1861 census.