Author Topic: Do you have a link with Braydon Oak - Savernake Forest, Wiltshire?  (Read 31810 times)

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have a link with Braydon Oak - Savernake Forest, Wiltshire?
« Reply #36 on: Monday 27 September 10 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Hcben,

Great !  If you are not local to the Marlborough/Wiltshire area, you may be interested to known that the property shown in a rather dilapidated state within this post thread has been subject to extensive conversion/refurbishment works.  It looks like at long last, the old house has been saved from decaying away in the woods.

From memory and looking up the history of the house on ancestry (census records), I understand that the house was occupied by deer gamekeepers for several of the census years.  Do you know much about your great great grandfather's past?  As I understand things, the house belonged part of the wider Savernake estate, owned/managed by the Earl of Cardigan - if interested, you may wish to consider writing to the Earl's estate office requesting information about the old house and your ancestor.  You never what old records they hold. 

Here's a link to the Earl.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Lord-resigns-trustee-Wiltshire-ancestral-estate/article-466170-detail/article.html

Best wishes

Kojak and Redspookhunter.
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline hcben

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 27 September 10 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Kojak,

I live in suffolk, so not local to Wiltshire. Thank you for the information. It may be a little while before I follow up on it because I have just started a couple of courses that are taking up my time. However I might just write to see if he did live there.
My great grandfathers name was Henry Manners and he lived in a game keepers cottage, in braydon park, in 1861.

I visited Chippenham recently and found out a bit about my grandfather, Henry's son.

Even if my great grandfather didn't live in the house you had a picture of I am glad it is being renovated because it looks a lovely house.

Best wishes

hcben

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 28 May 11 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Just a follow up message for you all...

Recently, the wife and I went for a walk in Savernake Forest and wandered and wandered until we stumbled upon Braydon Oak once more...

This time, the old house was no longer a ruin, abondoned in the woods.  It has now been redeveloped/brought back to life - and someone has moved in.

Photo below.

Best Wishes

Jane, Kenny and Meg.
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline suzanne2812

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Great, Great Granny Willoughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 10 June 11 12:51 BST (UK) »
HI All

It's great to see the house looking so well & loved again! For nearly three years this story has played out. It's the third anniversary of my Gran's death in a few weeks & I can't believe this thread is still going ;)

Suzanne x

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 12 June 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzanne,

The house renovation is indeed a long time in coming...The place has lots of character and we can remember you saying about your gran.

RIP gran x

Best Wishes,

Kojak and Redspookhunter

Offline AVEBURY

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 12 May 13 13:51 BST (UK) »
I will need to get more information from my Dad, but his grandfather Dobson lived and died there with his daughter Trixie in the early to mid 1800s.  We also walked around there as a ruins as my  Dad remembers playing around the oak tree.  We must take another walk there soon to see how it has been developed.

Offline LucySumnerTwisk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
Heya, thats my grans old house, used to go there all the time as a kid. i was wondering if the photos ended up with my family??
-Lucy Sumner-Twisk

Offline xylem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 02 December 18 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lucy, I met up with Charlene, Megan and Kate.
I gave them all the pictures and other material that Kojak, Spookhunter and Meg kindly rescued.There was also a letter and a genealogy.
Apologies for late reply, I have only just gone back on site and best wishes for the coming season! X

Offline IJS1963

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I stumbled across this site purely by chance but was amazed to see reference to my Grandfather's old house when he was a small boy c. 1911. His Father, Stephen Alexander Fergusson was keeper of the deer at Savernake Forest and his family of 8 children lived at Braydon Oak. My Great Grandfather tragically was killed in WWI but his Wife and Family were allowed to live in the Cottage for several years after he died I've posted a photo taken during the time they lived there. They then moved to South Wales however my Grandfather came back to Wiltshire as a young man where he met my Nana and the rest as they say is history. Did anyone on the site know the Fergusson family whilst they lived near Marlborough?