Author Topic: canterbury hammond family 17/1800s  (Read 2761 times)

Offline rideaucanal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
canterbury hammond family 17/1800s
« on: Monday 16 June 08 22:10 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on Hammond family beg. George B. abt 1695, marr'd Mary Hills 1720 ++ children, esp. Thomas bp. 1735 St. Alphege. Marr'd Mary Rose, sev. ch'n esp. Thomas bp. 1765, died 1821. leaving illeg. son Thomas bp. 1788 mother Margaret Terry.  Anyone with any connections would love to hear.  My 2x grt grdf. was Thomas Terry Hammond b. Jun 9, 1821 (can't find any birth rec. or marr. for his father b. 1788.)
Have major block in my tree.  Please contact with any possibilities.
Rideaucanal,  Ottawa, Ontario

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: canterbury hammond family 17/1800s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Rideaucanal

In an attempt to get a clearer picture may I just ask your souce of the birthdate of Thomas Terry HAMMOND born 1821 if you can find no baptism?

How does Thomas Terry HAMMOND b1821 (I assume he is the one in the census at Bexley, watchmaker & later postman, married to Sarah) describe his father ie. name & occupation on his marriage certificate ???

Also, may we ask what other information you know about Thomas (is it HAMMOND or TERRY?) bp1888 ie. baptism/death/burial/will/census?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rideaucanal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi; I've just accidentally eliminated my interest in this topic, Pls excuse
this.  Birthdate source for Thomas Terry Hammond b.1821 Jun 9 came from his pension info with Royal Mail. Otherwise just from census info. His father is listed on his Thomas's marriage certificate May 21, 1848 (Rotherhithe, Surrey) as Thomas Terry Hammond Bookseller. I also have a copy of a will dated 1815 written by a Thomas Hammond (attorney at law) who leaves a bequest to his 'natural' son Thomas Hammond (1000 pds). In a 1819 codicil to this will he states that his 'natural son' shall be req'd to ? & deliver up to them to be cancelled the Bond I have given to Mr. Henry Collard as far as the sum of 1000 pds for the faithful discharge of my son Thomas Hammond as his Clerk in the Stamp office etc. etc.   Collard had a Stamp office in the Cathedral Yard a/c to 1840 Pigots Dir. An old family story related that Grandf. Thomas (1821 man) told a grddau that his father or grdf. was once mayor of Canterbury & ran off with the maid.  The attorney Thomas who eventually died in 1821 had a father who once was a sheriff & then mayor of Canterbury. I have lots of names with this family.  But no sure connection with my family.The attorney T.Hammond never marr'd & left his estate to niece, nephew, 'nat. son' etc.  Looks very promising.  Hope for someone to pick up on this.
Rideaucanal, Ottawa, Canada

Offline arthine

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 August 10 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi :rideaucanal
I am Thomas Hammond b:1821 Canterbury Kent ggranddaughter.
Would you be so kind to reply  to my e-mail. I am very interested in anyinformation you might be able to give me
Thanks,Arthine

Offline Astron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 June 21 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all on this chat. I am descended from Thomas Terry and now have traced the family back to George Hammond born 1695, i.e. four generations before TTH. I am now interested in original residence and any other info about the family in advance of a visit to Canterbury to look further. Astron, Nairobi

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 June 21 21:19 BST (UK) »
  Hello Astron, I can't find a record of the birth of George Hammond in 1695, so I can't work out who he was. However, one Hammond family was part of the wealthy gentry of East Kent, and in the 19th century owned, or part owned, a bank in Canterbury. As one of the earlier posts mentioned family tales of ancestors who were mayors and sheriffs of Canterbury, you may be looking at this family. (Hammonds of St Albans, Nonington.)There are probably lists of mayors on line.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Astron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Top of the Hill and thanks for coming back to me. You're right in that it is the family descended from Thomas Terry, of which there appears to have been a father and son named alike: TT b. 1788 m. Ann Lunn and TT b.1821 m. Sarah Jane Hibben. 'Thomases' preceding that were 1- born 1765 m Margaret Terry, 2- b. 1734 m Mary Rose. (became Mayor of Canterbury). Then George b.1765 (became Chamberlain of Canterbury) m.Mary Hills in 1719. Many went to King's School, a few were prominent lawyers. Our family research gives wife's father as Hercules Hills b.1670. So I'm now looking beyond that and also wanting "trees" for the earlier generations and think I may have to get to C when the travel ban is lifted!