Author Topic: Thorn family Newbury  (Read 31854 times)

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thorn family Newbury
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 10 November 18 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jojo,
Well here we are, back again 10 years later.
You say you are a descendant of James Thorn, and that your Father was Colin Grant Thorn.
We are trying to find a link with a family member over here in Australia.
Did any of your family migrate to Australia from New Zealand in the early 1900's?   Noting that Henry John Thorn b. 1838 son of James Thorn b. 1813, Henry was a Policeman in 1868 in Surrey England and then migrated to NZ., we have wondered if this occupation continued on with any of your Thorn family members, particularly if anyone became a Policeman in Western Australia.

Hope you can assist   Thanking you.
Jan

Hi Janjim

I am wondering if you could confirm for me (if you know) did your James Thorn marry Maria Cully?

I am asking as I am a direct relation of this James Thorn (from information I can find. 

The James I am interested in was James father of Henry, Catherine and Charles.

Henry married Henrietta Venning Hughes.  They emigrated to New Zealand in 1882 after having 4 children:  Henry William, Hugh, Helen, Tom.
Henry William married Thamazine Esmond-Greene in Thames, New Zealand.  Next came, Frank Stafford Thorn, who had Colin Grant Thorn, who was my father.

Is this the same family?  I hope so, because you have a lot of info backwards that I could really do with.  Do you have anything on Henry, who moved to the East End of London before Emigrating to NZ?
I may be on the wrong path so please let me know.
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir