Author Topic: Boswell Family  (Read 16046 times)

Offline Geoff Kaye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boswell Family
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 October 13 09:17 BST (UK) »
thanks Pughy

was it you who obtained the marriage certificate mentioned in this thread and if so did you have a copy or at least record the details ?

thanks Geoff

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
Re: Boswell Family
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.  My Gran's adopted sister was Lilian (Lily) Boswell born on 6 April 1904 in Birkenhead, and adopted by Walter & Mary Jane Lyon (nee Poole) of Barnton, Cheshire.  I know her birth mother was Mary Ellen Boswell from the birth certificate, and her residence at the time of birth was 24 Livingstone Road, Tranmere.  When Lily was a few weeks/months old, Mary Ellen sent a letter to the Lyons from where she was staying in Llanfairfechan.  From what she said, it seems that she was in service, and the letter was signed "E Boswell", so I'm assuming that she went by Ellen.

I've got a posting on the Cheshire board looking into all the possible Mary Ellen Boswells in the region, plus you can view the letter there: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=648730.0

I've also posted on the Caernarvonshire board, and you can find they topic here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=649105.0

I would appreciate any help in determining where Mary Ellen Boswell was born, who her family were and what happened to her.  I've not looked at the gypsy angle before, so maybe this is where I'm going to find some answers - fingers crossed!

Thanks for reading, and do have a look at the letter on the Cheshire board - I think it's lovely.

Terri
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)