Author Topic: Re: Ballantyne Glassford/West Quarter  (Read 11622 times)

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ballantyne Glassford/West Quarter
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 June 08 17:52 BST (UK) »
Sancti, my apologies - I was getting Limekilnburn mixed-up with Darngaber. The site you left links to is maintained by Alan Johnstone of Darngaber Gardens in Quarter. The page with the story of Alex Torrance (my gt-gt-gt grandmother's cousin) has been lifted verbatium from Stothers's Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Renfrewshire Xmas and New Year Annual 1912. See below. (that's the top of Alex's head!)

Lodger
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline wonoona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 June 08 22:44 BST (UK) »
Sancti

I missed your earlier post regarding the marriage for James Ballantyne & Janet McDonald!  You are correct that is their marriage and also Rachel is their daughter.  She married William Young.  I cannot find the other children either only Jane, all the rest are missing!  Many thanks for that.

Regards

Yvonne
McDonald  Glasgow-Dunbarton.  McCallum- Dunbarton.  Gilchrist- Glasgow. Dickie  Ayrshire- Glasgow. Potts, Jardine - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Brierley  Fylde-Rochdale. Eaves - Fylde. Bamford - Rochdale. Irvine - Fylde. Douglas, Whyte - Argyllshire.

Offline cladds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 17:03 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)
Hello, my name is Christopher Ladds; a local historian for the Calderwood/St Leonards District of East Kilbride.

In regads to Janet Nee Mcdonald who died at Craigneith (Proper Spelling) in 1893;
I am rather confident that I have come across the gravestone inscription for this lady. The gravestone inscriptions of East Kilbride Old Kirkyard were copied into a bound book, now kept in the local history section of East Kilbride Library.

Craigneith, was in fact a folly castle which was titled 'Craigneith Castle', Also sometimes spelt as Craigneath or Craignith. This folly was built on a range of lofty cliffs known as the 'Crags of Craigneith' on a concave bend of the Rotten Calder Water. On the convex side of this location is a promontory known as the 'Dee of Calder'. Upon this precipice stood Calderwood Castle. Craigneith was built by the Maxwells of Calderwood sometime between 1750 and 1845. It was a two storey, small building with a tower and battlemented parapet. Its purpose was - 1. To provide extensive views from the upper floors across Calderwood Glen (Calderglen), being an extraordinary vantage point. 2. To serve as a picturesque decorative Castle in the landscape which could be seen from many points in the surrounding area. 3. To provide accomodation for some of Calderwood Castle's Servants.

There, dwelt the old, old lady of Craigneith Castle, who would arise each morning between 4:00-5:00AM to cross the river to Calderwood Castle where she would light all 30 fires in the building. She would leave craigneith Castle, Descend the steep cliffs via serpentine paths, through thick foliage, cross the footbridge, ascend the precipice via some steep steps and finally enter Calderwood Castle.
Through tempest, rain, gales and the roaring foaming of the murky Calder she would do so every day, all year. She did this all her time there right up to the time of her death!!!

I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT THE 'OLD, OLD LADY OF CRAIGNEITH CASTLE' WAS JANET, SHE WAS THE ONLY OLD LADY EVER RECORDED LIVING THERE.

I have pictures of what it looked like and what it looks like now, I have even found a shoe amongst the ruins which may have even belonged to Janet.

The scenery of Old Calderwood is of the grandest romance and defies description here. The current site lies due East of Ellisland off of Alloway Road in Calderwood, East Kilbride.

I have attached a section of a map of my own creation and a view of the Crags of Craigneith.

Offline cladds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 17:07 BST (UK) »
P.S.

I have not read the Census for a while, but I am confident she will appear in them. They are available at East Kilbride Library on microfilm. She will be listed under Craigneith in Calderwood :) :) ;)

Offline wonoona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 22:51 BST (UK) »
Christopher

You really have surprised me!  It was so interesting to read all about Janet Ballantyne nee  McDonald her death certificate stated that she died at Craigneith on 28th June 1893 aged 86 years.  I have followed her in the census too. 

I would be interested to read any inscription although I do know her parents are Archibald McDonald and Elizabeth Young who were married in Cambuslang.  That is as far as I can get at present!  The old lady died of senile decay, it makes you wonder how she fared at the end!  Family would have taken her in no doubt, as her son in law registered the death!

If I e-mail East Kilbride library, do you think they would send me a copy of the inscription?

A big thank you for all the information as it is so informative!

Yvonne
McDonald  Glasgow-Dunbarton.  McCallum- Dunbarton.  Gilchrist- Glasgow. Dickie  Ayrshire- Glasgow. Potts, Jardine - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Brierley  Fylde-Rochdale. Eaves - Fylde. Bamford - Rochdale. Irvine - Fylde. Douglas, Whyte - Argyllshire.

Offline cladds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 19:21 BST (UK) »
 :D :D Hi Yvonne

So sorry, but I had lost the note that I wrote this website on, but I came across it yesterday.

I copied the inscription down, but I cannot find it. What is recorded in the book I mentioned is the full inscription I am sure. From what I can remember it is only a basic inscription, but I am sure it is invaluable to you none the less. If you Email the library I am sure they will be only too happy to help. That is if they have not done so already. In regards to Craigneith Castle & Calderwood Estate, I am the principal authority on the subject. Without trying to boast, I have spent almost ten years collecting a plethora of information from books, maps, archives, photographs, etc.... from all over the world.

Any questions you have regarding the Estate I would be only too happy to answer. However, when it comes to Janet, what I gave in the previous message really is all that is known. The ruins of Craigneith can still be visited, with some sections standing over 8 feet tall.

Whether your'e enquiries are demanding, obscure or seemingly unrelated, I will do my best to help.

Yours Chris Ladds  :) :)

Offline cladds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 19:35 BST (UK) »
P.S.

It is interesting that you state she died of senile decay, as this would explain the old story surrounding her.

It is said that for such an old delicate lady, the job she did until her death was quite demanding, and must have - "required a phlegmatic temperment of no mean order". The job was dangerous, including gradients of 30 degrees, thin muddy paths with sheer drops to their side with not so much as a fence, countless stairs in the castle etc...

If she suffered from senile dementia then it may have allowed her to do more than she thought she was doing, due to memory loss. The very wording of the story does conjure up an almost eccentric image, which in the 1890's may have fitted 'senile decay' rather well.

:) :) :)

Offline wonoona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Yes I'm sure that is probably the whole inscription that you so kindly copied down.  I did e-mail East Kilbride Library but as I received no reply, just let it rest!  It is interesting to hear how Janet lived her life!  I dug out her death certificate to have another look, remembering it was quite difficult to find due to her being down as Jessie ect. 

Janet's husband lived to a good age of 81 and died of Chronic Bronchitis 6 months. He was a stonebreaker and gravedigger.   They must have been a hardy breed when you think of what they had to endure!  What backbreaking work breaking stones all day and every day! 

For all Janet's travels up and down the steep paths and muddy paths, she probably died in her bed!

Great story Chris, many thanks!  If you do happen to stumble accross anymore info concerning Janet and her family in the future, it would be most appreciated!

Regards  Yvonne

Offline cladds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 23:49 BST (UK) »
You are most welcome.  ;D

From what I remember the inscription went something like - Janet.... Died age.... in year.... at Craigneith.

I have not visited the graves at the old East Kilbride Kirkyard personally. Considering the lairds may have been fond of her then there is a chance they paid for the gravestone, if so then it may be decorated and worth visiting.

You may like to know that the story I speak of concerning Janet, is a tale which has been handed down through local fisherman, and just by chance it was included in a local persons manuscript of his memoirs. He was named Fred Mitchell and grew up in Maxwellton Village, now in Calderwood, East Kilbride. I would be very surprised if more than a dozen people know of the story, but the tale was referred to in the East Kilbride News recently in an article speaking of the Calderwood Estate.
  It makes one wonder how many stories have been lost through the last century which may have also concerned Janet.

One historical anecdote which may interest you is that -  Some time during a nearby battle (probably Bothwell Bridge), a group of people in league with the local lairds, were heading over Craigneith Field in the direction of Bothwell, and decided to plank a stash of weapons in a deep drain built to drain the boggy fields. These drains were numerous and the stash was never recovered. It is said that if one stands at the gatepost at Craigneith Castle and looks towards the gates entering the grounds of Basket Farm nearby, then the position of the stash is halfway between those two points.

So Janet once lived in a location immersed in beauty, secrecy and legend!

Happy hunting, Chris  :)