Author Topic: SAUNDERS - Bigamy Records  (Read 10567 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SAUNDERS - Bigamy Records
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 June 08 15:50 BST (UK) »
For later records, often the names haven't been indexed. You need to look at the original images - so for George E Saunders in Dec 1927 quarter, you have to go to 1927 births, December quarter, then look for S, then find the correct image.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline melpractise

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 June 08 16:31 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Thank you sooooooo much. I didn't know you could do that. I thought I had to use the index search. I found my grandad- What a buzz.
Thanks again

Mel ;D

Offline melpractise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 July 08 15:21 BST (UK) »
I have come across new information. I have been informed by my grandfather's sister that she thinks their father wasn't Saunders but Herbert William Harris born in battersy London (spelling????). He married first and had a daughter named beatrice then married in 1923 as Saunders to my great grandmother and had Jim, bill, Joan Edward and Peggy. 11 yrs later had molly. Jim, Joan and Ted were sent to warren farm (around 1933) when their father was imprisoned for bigamy. Peggy (diphtheria) and bill (polio) stayed with their mother.

Where can I find details regarding their placement at warren farm and/or bigamy records on line. Also, numerous Harris bmd entries - how can i ascertain a likely match?????

thanks

mel

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 July 08 01:03 BST (UK) »
The birthplace is probably Battersea, in SW London (originally Surrey).

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__9064_path__.aspx - has some information on Warren Farm School/Warren Farm Industrial School. There will not be any records online for that, I'd imagine - especially not for the 1930s. You should try contacting the East Sussex Records Office to see what information they hold, they may have surviving school records:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/searches/locresult_details.asp?LR=179

For finding Herbert, I suggest you get that 1923 marriage (details further up-thread), as at least that will give you an age for him, and perhaps some information on his father.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline darryl7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My mum and I are starting on our journey to find out where we came from. We only seem to be able to go back to george edward saunders b aug 1927. All we know is his father (whom we were told was Herbert Saunders) was jailed for bigamy. We're having trouble finding who he was - perhaps saunders was not his legal name? George was sent to an orphanage when he was 7 (1934??) He wasnt adopted but returned to his mother at some stage. Married Marjorie Rose richardson and had 5 chn (lived in brighton) One of which as my mother born 1950. Emmigrated to western australia 1960's. 

I want to know if there is somewhere I can find court/legal documents re bigamy around 1934 to see who he was. Does any one know where I can start.

Thanks

Mel

Hi Mel,

Have you solved the problem yet of Herbert William Saunders origins yet, as I have not seen the correct full response in any of the reply posts? He was born 1884 as Herbert William Mewett in Battersea. He first married Minnie Avery 1908 in Brighton. They did have a daughter, Beatrice Mabel in 1906 Brighton. He then married Bertha Ellen Mclenahan in 1923 while Minnie was still alive. I have a lot more detail, but rootschat may not be the easiest place to discuss all that you wish to know. Is it possible to send me your email address through here?   Darryl Mewett

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hiya Darryl and Mel

Welcome to Rootschat Darryl

Please dont post an e-mail address on the site as you may end up with loads of spam you can PM each other and send it that way but Darryl will need to stick a couple more posts up for it to become active for him

and if you ever can tell us the full story (without mentioning living people) we would love to know

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline darryl7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hiya Darryl and Mel

Welcome to Rootschat Darryl

Please dont post an e-mail address on the site as you may end up with loads of spam you can PM each other and send it that way but Darryl will need to stick a couple more posts up for it to become active for him

and if you ever can tell us the full story (without mentioning living people) we would love to know

Willow x

Hi Willow,

Thanks for the advice.  Darryl7

Offline sarageorgi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 July 15 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi my grandfather was Herbert William Saunders and was a bigamist. He illegally married my Nana, Georgina Anne Rustigini. They adopted my mum in 1945. By then Herbet or Bill as he liked to be called was in his 60's. I'm not sure where he originally was from only he owned the 1st Butchers in Lichfield, staffs.

Offline sueswright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 00:11 BST (UK) »
I'm very confused by all this. I was under the impression that Minnie Mewett (nee Avery) married Alfred Hunt in 1919??? So if this was the case why was Herbert William charged with bigamy and not Minnie as well??? Maybe they divorced. Can someone please explain. Maybe I have the wrong information. Thanks. Susan