Author Topic: Brighouse Quakers  (Read 5316 times)

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Brighouse Quakers
« on: Thursday 19 June 08 16:28 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is the right place or what to do. I’m currently working on a site in the centre of Brighouse.

Now there was a Quaker graveyard on this site, but I’ve been led to believe that the graves were exhumed and relocated at least 20 – 25 years ago.

However, there are still 3 stones on site. I’m going to make sure I’ve noted all the details before work starts. And at the moment I’m 99% sure all that is going to happen to the stones is that they are going to be relocated to somewhere more appropriate but still on the site.

Now the question is, would anyone like to know the inscriptions on the stones?

I  have one which says:
Sophia Smith
d. 2nd Month 1st 1866

All are very simple stones. I cant read the other ones from the photo. All I can read is ‘Grace’.

Anyway if anyone is interested, please let me know.

Tx

Offline DragonflyJane

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brighouse Quakers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 March 11 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I live very near the "new" Quaker Meeting House (now aprtaments) & I understand that the old site was somewhere on what is now known as Bird's Royd.

I'm really interested in where the site you were working on is & what happened to the gravestones?  I'm trying to peice together some local history for the small corner of Brighouse I live in.  :)

Thanks, Jane
Rastrick
Brighouse

Offline Thornton14

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brighouse Quakers
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 16:31 BST (UK) »

Hello Jane

I a new to this website and this is my first email, but could not resist writing in case the info I have is of any use.
I lived in Brighouse many years ago and my grandma lived in Huddersfield Road.  The Quaker meeting house was just below where she lived.  It was on the left-hand side just below some waste ground and roughly 500 yards up from the railway line.

Regards Anne